Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

It doesn't take much to make me happy. I can literally be with my boyfriend all the time, just doing fun things with him & traveling, so I'm used to solitude. Parties & get togethers don't excite me & I don't feel like I'm missing out on something when I hear of others having parties. That's them. I'm not an attention-craver. In fact, I hate drawisng attention to myself. I prefer to stay in the background. My parents were definitely not party people either. My dad is actually a loner who never had many friends either.

I don't know if it takes a certain kind of person to be a good friend to me OR just bad circumstances that I don't have friends really...except for one besides my boyfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I do not have Aspergers or any mental illness. I am an RN in a busy Emergency Department so I interact with all kinds of people on a day to day basis. I know I don't lack interpersonal skills at all. I simply don't want to have friends. I like casual acquaintances and I thoroughly enjoy my FB time with them but I don't like real time, in the flesh interaction. I too found a great outlet when I discovered the internet. I could share what I wanted, when I wanted. I don't think people like me are an anomaly. Just in this very thread I see kindred spirits. I think in many ways we are the deep thinkers who don't do well with the superficiality of life.
You made me realize that maybe I'm less social than I ever thought. Although I could enjoy interacting all day with coworkers and clients, most of the time I like to be by myself.
For example, I have never understood the concept of group shopping. I find going shopping with one or two other women torture. To go through a mall oohing and ahhing over every purse and scarf, instead of just going at my own fast clip is not at all fun.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You made me realize that maybe I'm less social than I ever thought. Although I could enjoy interacting all day with coworkers and clients, most of the time I like to be by myself.
For example, I have never understood the concept of group shopping. I find going shopping with one or two other women torture. To go through a mall oohing and ahhing over every purse and scarf, instead of just going at my own fast clip is not at all fun.
Oh trust me, I don't enjoy it. I would actually be much happier if I sat in an office all day in front of a computer and didn't have to interact with anyone. But nursing is all I know and I feel I'm too old to go and do something else. I totally agree with you about the group shopping, just ugh.

I have noticed the older I get the less interested I am in people. I'm not sure why exactly, probably a combination of factors.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
I feel the same way, Djuna. Nursing provides plenty of opportunity for "people interaction". When I'm done at work, I just want to be where there are hardly any people....or alone.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh trust me, I don't enjoy it. I would actually be much happier if I sat in an office all day in front of a computer and didn't have to interact with anyone. But nursing is all I know and I feel I'm too old to go and do something else. I totally agree with you about the group shopping, just ugh.

I have noticed the older I get the less interested I am in people. I'm not sure why exactly, probably a combination of factors.
Maybe these are the peaks and valleys of life. Maybe the desire for relationships goes in an arch, and now I'm on the downhill. We spend the first half building relationships, and I am in long distance contact with these old friends who are precious to me, and then after that it's "been there done that", and we just want to be left alone.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
I don't feel a connection to about 75% of the people I meet. I try my best to make relevant small talk, depending on the social situation and reason. I try to figure out what they are interested in to get them to converse as awkward silence can bother me.

Most of them probably are not interested in me either for the same reasons. I do what I can to be pleasant to others. If they don't care to talk to me, I make as little small talk as I can and move on to someone else more interesting. Life is way too short to fret about people who don't want to talk to you.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I am an INTJ who finally got a job where I DO sit in front of a computer all day and it suits me perfectly.

I taught, counseled, and managed for years-definitely not things I care to ever do again.

My hobbies complement my personality: writing, reading, photography, motorcycling, movies, cooking.

I have a few close friends from my past that are lifelong pals. When I want to engage in more than superficial plesantries I talk to them or come here.

This works for me. I hate social situations and avoid them. I'd rather hang with my dogs and DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships