Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki H View Post
That is wonderful for her. In my mid 30s I was of similar mindset but once you pass 40 it changes especially if you have no sense of community.
You're in your early 40s? According to this site, the chances of conception occurring naturally are only about 5% and "even with in Vitro Fertilization (IVF), the most successful infertility treatment available, the pregnancy rate is only about 10% per try.": Age and Fertility Analysis and Statistics - SCCRM

Even if you had supportive friends, I don't think you would feel better. The yearning would still there until you can get yourself into a different headspace about the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki H View Post
That is wonderful for her. In my mid 30s I was of similar mindset but once you pass 40 it changes especially if you have no sense of community.
As I said earlier, maybe you need new friends. There is a difference between friends not being supportive, and society not being supportive. Friends should be supportive and should try to be understanding. Society, as in strangers off the street, do not owe you a support group because life isn't going the way you want. I asked earlier what you do to try to change your situation. You didn't answer. I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't see being single as being comparable to being infertile.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM

107 posts, read 116,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSON55555 View Post
Ya, I am talking about the right time to have a baby. It’s not possible for all to have normal baby at the age of 30 to 40 years. I am agreeing that we have few miracles like at the age of 45 a lady has given birth to a child, but it’s not necessary for every lady. So we should take the initiative to get married on time, have a child at the age of 26 to 30 years and then enjoy our life, so after having one child you will never have any regret that you cannot conceive any baby. Always running after the social status can also make you dumb. So take right decision for being happy in life.
Your last two sentences completely contradict the rest of your paragraph that has "rush and have a baby by 30!!!!" written all over it. And YES it is VERY possible to have a "normal baby" between ages of 30 and 40.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quite possibly also no one knows how you feel. If you are a self-sufficient woman as you appear to be, people may just assume that remaining single and childless was your choice. How would they know differently? Of course, your SIL knew and made an unkind remark, boo on her for that. But the average person you work with or know casually probably has no idea that you had such dreams and are living in that disappointment.

I am a long-divorced woman who had one child, now grown. I wished for more kids and another marriage, but I never had another chance for another relationship. I doubt most people who know me know that about me--they just saw me as the brave single mother plugging along and sacrificing to raise her kid. I work with a number of single, older childless women, and I have sometimes wondered if that was their choice or not, but I would never have the nerve to bring it up, fearing that I could open a painful wound. It is difficult sometimes to allow others to see your personal pain. I avoid gatherings where it is all couples because it makes me feel awkward and sad, just as it does for you to hear people talking about their marriages and children.

Someone mentioned starting a support group--I don't think that's a bad idea, but I'm not sure how you would go about it. However, maybe a start would be for you to write a blog about your feelings and your disappointment in life. I bet you would hear from many other women who share your sadness.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I don't agree with this. Just because someone is single that doesn't mean they are picky. A woman doesn't have to do anything wrong to be single.

I do feel that people have a right to their preferences. Men don't settle when it comes to what they want, so why should women? If a man doesn't want to date a particular woman, he's not going to and she doesn't have to have a thing wrong with her to get rejected. Men reject "perfect" women all the time. Time after time men will be with or know women who have it all: looks, a willingness to commit to them, brains, great personality, or what have you and they still won't date her, or will date her for years, taking years out of her life, only to not marry her, then marry someone else they've only known a short time who has less to offer than the woman they dumped who was with them for years. Men do this CONSTANTLY!

When a man wants a blonde, or a younger woman, or an Eastern European, or an Asian woman, or whatever his preference is, he goes for it and has no shame or guilt about having preferences. Yet women are the only ones accused of being picky.

I was accused of being too picky because I wasn't interested in dating a senior citizen though in my 30's. Why just because I'm single and he's single would my friends think I'd want someone who is old enough to be my father? Heck, looked older than my father. I guess people buy into the myth that most women want older men when that's just not true.

Single women are held to a completely different standard than single men.

I like this post.
I know this is old,but this should be a sticky.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Because being single itself is consired as a threat for society.

Good heavens if there is one who can survive and to be happy alone. You remember witch huntings? Most of were single women and buried alive, people don't like independent people. All have to be in one organizied pack in order and ready to control.

Twisted view of single people - there must be something wrong , you at least have to be couple and like sex in this world, if you not, you are a freak

Sad view. I do support single parents as long as they are good parents, and same I do if there is 2 parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships