Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times

Advertisements

Since you haven't mentioned anything in your history as her friend to indicate that she would believe you might forget the $200 debt, I do wonder why she delayed paying you. It doesn't seem like a large amount of money to me, considering she's single without dependents and she's had months to save up the money. I wonder if she's unemployed and doesn't want you to know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:08 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Since you haven't mentioned anything in your history as her friend to indicate that she would believe you might forget the $200 debt, I do wonder why she delayed paying you. It doesn't seem like a large amount of money to me, considering she's single without dependents and she's had months to save up the money. I wonder if she's unemployed and doesn't want you to know it.

No, she's employed. She recently moved out of her boyfriend's house the month before the trip. So she went from splitting bills to having to get a place of her own, etc.

It still doesn't explain her behavior IMO though...

Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
If she is a mooch, consider the $100 a cheap price to pay for the information. There is nothing wrong with keeping her as a friend as long as you remain cognizant of that fact and do not let her take advantage of you (or your other friends).

Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I don't think the OP's friend has nefarious intentions, or is being cheap, she just sounds like a moocher and probably might be broke as well, if she was broke she shouldn't have gone.

I personally find people who are moochers to be extremely off putting, and it seems like it is a fairly common complaint, I've seen a few threads like this over the yrs on CD and just anecdotally IRL.

I've ran across a few people like that myself, like I said, total turn off. I don't even really care for "cheap" people, but that isn't nearly as bad as freeloaders.

I also find it sort of annoying when people just get out a calculator when a group of people pay the bill, I do get it that some guy orders the steak and lobster and appetizers should pay more, but when people start getting it down to the exact dollar, IDK...... I usually always put in a enough to cover myself plus a little extra, just to help even things out......

Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Not only did you learn a lesson about friendship, but you also learned what it's like to be a man and date a woman. Men put up with that very often when dating.
It's not the same. A man gladly pays because he is going to get laid in return.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
I'm just really glad you had a nice time. It took a lot of grace to not call her out on her boorish behavior.

I suspect a lot of this is just venting, and (hopefully) after she pays you the $100 you'll have gotten past it. Friendships tend to come with accepting the not so good, as well as enjoying the great times together that make it worthwhile to be friends.

Keep in mind though: Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission.

I'm glad you rose above it and enjoyed yourself.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 AM

420 posts, read 698,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I went to South Beach last month for the first time with 3 other ladies.. One is a friend of 8 years...

s...we'll call her "Dana". I've traveled with Dana out of state to visit her family a couple of times, but this is actually our first 'vacation' together...

..I was so done with her, but if I would have said something to her 'during' the trip it would've changed the entire mood of the rest of the vacation in a big way. After getting home I let her know I never got her first $100 after double checking my account...she paid that a week later. Now I'm waiting on the other $100 and the trip was over a month ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
southkakkatlantan,

This is Dana's boyfriend and I'm going tell you the real reason Dana behaved this way with you. It starts with the incident when she..
Did you ever get our money? I personally sent it to you months ago -- with something nice on top -- and you've never acknowledged it. Who's rude again?

Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 AM

47 posts, read 68,503 times
But you don't see that this is totally your fault?

A) You asked people to give you $100 up front. Why? Did you need a down payment or just checking to make sure they could afford it? Why not the full amount?

B) You said you didn't check if Dana had paid. Again, why make the request for the upfront money if you are not going to check?

C) She TOLD you she didn't have the balance and yet you didn't tell her not to come.

Totally. Your. Fault.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 AM

47 posts, read 68,503 times
You have to be very clear and firm. You cannot make requests and then not follow through and THEN ***** about it later. Same with raising chillren.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
^^^ Totally stupid. Someone who is having to plan a trip has to have money up front. The person who is going along on the trip should not have to be told multitudes of times to pay up.

This Dana chick sounds like a loser mooch. She's better off without her.

To Roam, if you're really her boyfriend why do you care whether she got it or not? You'd know if she cashed the check. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships