Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM

550 posts, read 985,031 times

Advertisements

I have a coworker who is usually rude for no reason and always has a bad attitude. I passed her in the hallway and she says "you are really packing on the pounds lately huh?". I always try to avoid this coworker and her nasty attitude because shes older. but I just was caught off guard today and all I said was yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM

60 posts, read 110,124 times
She's just an angry person and puts it onto others. She's a bully.

As the saying goes, showing kindness to your enemies is the same as heaping hot coals on their head. Don't give in to the nastiness. Kill her with kindness. She's just hurting inside.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Woah, what nerve! You should have said, "What do you care?" I don't know how often you have to see her at work & I sure hope you don't have to actually work with her in any way, but just ignore her as much as possible. If you really want to try to get her, document her negative statements & take them to the higher-ups. Doesn't this fall into being able to sue for a hostile work environment?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
She did make a very rude and unappreciated comment but she didn't actually call you fat. I would keep a record of what she said with the date and time, along with your response. Do this for every instance. At some point, if this continues, you might want to speak with your supervisor about the situation. Your co-worker may be causing a hostile work environment for you, but suing is certainly not the answer, at least not at this time. You must establish that you followed procedure and that the company did not address the situation to your satisfaction. Once it is out of your hands, then see what management does. A lawsuit is generally not the answer unless the work environment is hostile, especially to the point where you find it too hostile to go to work. It would be interesting to see if she does this to just you or to your other co-workers. If she does this to others, how are they handling the situation.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,765 times
Rude but ignore it. Be the better person and kill her with kindness even

Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
I have a coworker who is usually rude for no reason and always has a bad attitude. I passed her in the hallway and she says "you are really packing on the pounds lately huh?". I always try to avoid this coworker and her nasty attitude because shes older. but I just was caught off guard today and all I said was yep.
I would have said, "At least I can diet; there's nothing you can do about f'ugly"

Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would have said, "At least I can diet; there's nothing you can do about f'ugly"

BAD advice!!! Had the OP said this, the rude co-worker could have run to supervisors or whatever and complained that the OP called her a name.

I agree with the others: Keep a log of everything that is said (date and time), in what context, and your response. If it continues and escalates, I would call a meeting with a supervisor and/or HR. After the meeting, I would follow up with an email outlining everything that was said in the meeting (and print out a copy of your email along with any responses from them)

Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,991 times
"I figured if you can, why can't I?"

Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 AM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times
I agree with the "kill her with kindness". I had a co-worker in my workplace who hated me from first sight for some unknown reason, I had never even spoken to her. She was rude and would do things for others and exclude me....I was not going to let someone else's rude behavior dictate my own, nor compromise my own personal standards for someone else (if someone else wants to crawl in the mud, that's on them, I like being clean). So I went out of my way to be nice to her, said "hello" even though she never said it back. It took a few months, but she started being nice back to me, and for the past 8 years we have been friendly with each other and have not had any issues at all.

Some people feel threatened by other people, it's not personal if they don't know you. Be the bigger person and take the high road. If you want to get under someone's skin though, IMO the best way to do it is by showing she has no effect on you. Saying something snarky back to them only lets them know they got under your skin.

I wouldn't go to HR as first line of defense, especially if you want to move up in the company. I think walking in and saying "Sally called me fat!" is going to make it seem as if you can't resolve conflict on your own. I would do it as a last resort only, JMO.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
"But I'm still a spring chicken..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships