Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Currently I choose to be childfree because I prefer my freedom, money and personal growth.

Having a child ties you down for at least 18 years. Sure, having your own kid and hearing them say "I love you", may be fulfilling to some... but it doesn't pay the bills.

r.
Ask Justin Bieber's mother about that.

Or hell, ask my mom...they don't need our help, but they sure do enjoy the gifts, vacations, etc...last Mother's Day, we gave her a Lexus.

Yeah, those money-sucking, broke-making kids...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,997,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ask Justin Bieber's mother about that.

Or hell, ask my mom...they don't need our help, but they sure do enjoy the gifts, vacations, etc...last Mother's Day, we gave her a Lexus.

Yeah, those money-sucking, broke-making kids...
The chances of having a child that can afford to do all that for parents is extremely low. As someone who appears to have a high amount of disposable income, you should also know that gambling money on a bet with extremely low chances of return is not an intellegent way to use your money.

Also, not every kid who is rich is going to be gifting their parents. Just look at Kobe Bryant, who is suing his own mother.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,071,610 times
What makes you think you cant make a good living and still have kids? Why is are those two things mutually exclusive?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
The chances of having a child that can afford to do all that for parents is extremely low. As someone who appears to have a high amount of disposable income, you should also know that gambling money on a bet with extremely low chances of return is not an intellegent way to use your money.

Also, not every kid who is rich is going to be gifting their parents. Just look at Kobe Bryant, who is suing his own mother.
It is not a gamble.
No sane person goes into having kids thinking they will break even, let alone get ahead.

But a close family that is devoted to each other is priceless.

Let's put it this way...I almost never see FRIENDS at the hospital bedside.

I don't care what child-free people do. They are adults making sound choices based on their preferred choice of lifestyle. That is wise and mature.
What isn't wise and mature is fabricating reasons why people with kids are disadvantaged or headed to poorville or do so only to validate their existence. That's specious and ignorant.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,184,928 times
Quote:
You will wind up being that invited guest at a family's holiday meal...because they always know Ms Millenial...and now she has no place to go...so much for your community involvement and mentoring...LOL.
LOLing at this is pretty cold, actually.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 AM

451 posts, read 770,486 times
Quote:
I don't care what child-free people do. They are adults making sound choices based on their preferred choice of lifestyle. That is wise and mature.
What isn't wise and mature is fabricating reasons why people with kids are disadvantaged or headed to poorville or do so only to validate their existence. That's specious and ignorant.
I'll agree with the blue part, although I must confess that it's tempting. I think the reason why it's so tempting is because of the abuse we get as people who choose (for whatever reason, there are thousands) not to have children. If more people understood what you say in the green part, the need to even have these discussions about childfree vs. parents would disappear.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,071,610 times
Quote:
It is not a gamble.
No sane person goes into having kids thinking they will break even, let alone get ahead.

But a close family that is devoted to each other is priceless.

Let's put it this way...I almost never see FRIENDS at the hospital bedside.

LOL...I like that friends at hospital comment..so true.

Is it "wise and mature" that you choose to not have children because you want your "freedom". To me that smacks of immature child-like attitudes.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,997,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
What makes you think you cant make a good living and still have kids? Why is are those two things mutually exclusive?
The disappearing middle class and the gulf forming between upper and lower class America signifies to me that you will eventually need to choose one or the other.

Again, back in YOUR day, the middle class was strong and there could be one breadwinner for a whole family. No longer. People in their 20s or 30s may not even have their Social Security. It is imperitive that 20 and 30 somethings save as much as possible now, otherwise they will have nothing when they get old.

I suppose their kids can visit them at their cardboard box when they have no money left because they didn't save, though.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM

451 posts, read 770,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Is it "wise and mature" that you choose to not have children because you want your "freedom". To me that smacks of immature child-like attitudes.
It's a lot more mature than having children just because

1. Society expects you to.
2. You never actually thought about it until you had one.
3. You're lonely.
4. You think having a child will fix your marriage.
5. You think having a child will fix your emotional problems.
6. You want someone to love you.

Need I go on? To me, not having children for any reason is wiser and more mature than having a child for the wrong reason.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,184,928 times
My take on this is coming from a different place, due to me being gay. The issue of having a family wasnt even in the picture, but now we are seeing this more often, with gays and lesbians adopting.

It was something I and my partner discussed, but we didnt think we'd be good parents, plus his health issues (AIDS and other issues) would be a complication.

Plus we are of an older generation, where it would be unlikely we would have even been permitted to adopt. There would also be the added complication for the kid (assuming we did adopt) of growing up in a non-traditional household in a conservative community.

So I am sort of ambivilant about the subject. I see the positives in having kids, but understand the risks and the things that could go wrong. With kids it is a huge responsibility, and if you screw up you really screw up....raise the kid wrong and you ruin his or her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.