Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times

Advertisements

I have a smartphone, and it's quite handy in some situations, but I'm often without it. However, I know of others who are socially tethered to their smartphones and use them constantly.

I have seen a family of four sitting in a restaurant, each of them tapping away on their smartphones and not saying a word to each other. I've seen young couples in a restaurant tapping away on their smartphones, seemingly unaware that the other is even present.

It seems so many people these days cannot just sit and interact face-to-face. They have to look at their smartphones and make sure there isn't a message requiring their immediate attention.

So, what do you folks think about the effects of smartphones and social media on the social development of our youth? Can you turn off your smartphone, sit with a group of people, and engage in a group discussion without having to access your smartphone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

So, what do you folks think about the effects of smartphones and social media on the social development of our youth?
I think it is detrimental to ADULTS as much as youth.

Quote:
Can you turn off your smartphone, sit with a group of people, and engage in a group discussion without having to access your smartphone?
Sure.
I do it all the time.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think it is detrimental to ADULTS as much as youth...
I definitely agree, but I was talking about social development - something we adults should have already experienced.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:45 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
I definitely agree, but I was talking about social development - something we adults should have already experienced.
LOL... have you READ the threads on this board?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
I have a smartphone, and it's quite handy in some situations, but I'm often without it. However, I know of others who are socially tethered to their smartphones and use them constantly.

I have seen a family of four sitting in a restaurant, each of them tapping away on their smartphones and not saying a word to each other. I've seen young couples in a restaurant tapping away on their smartphones, seemingly unaware that the other is even present.

It seems so many people these days cannot just sit and interact face-to-face. They have to look at their smartphones and make sure there isn't a message requiring their immediate attention.

So, what do you folks think about the effects of smartphones and social media on the social development of our youth? Can you turn off your smartphone, sit with a group of people, and engage in a group discussion without having to access your smartphone?
It's dangerous to presume that you know what's best for others.

You make a lot of assumptions in your post, which I have highlighted in red.

"Tapping away" on a smart phone for the few moments you observe someone does not mean they are UNABLE to ALSO engage in group discussion.

I am 46. I use my smart phone but am not tethered to it, as you put it. I have said on here before, though, that if you see me "tapping away" on it while out at dinner with my husband, I am doing any number of things: checking the start time of our movie, confirming driving directions to the next place on our itinerary, sharing an article I read earlier, showing him a photo a friend shared on FB, etc.

I have twin boys who are 17. They are much more "tethered to" their phones. Here are my observations on its effect on their social development.

It has made them MORE socially capable than I was at their age. During adolescence, when it's very difficult to gather the guts to cold call someone on the phone and make plans, using a smart phone to text an initial interaction removes a lot of anxiety.

My kids are friends with MORE people than I was because their network is larger. And I'm not talking about Facebook friends, but real, actual friends they subsequently talk to on the phone and in person and go out with on weekends an school nights.

There are problems associated with it, just as there are with most any new thing kids learn.
It's another method of communication, not a handbasket to hell.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,348 times
I love sitting on the bus and watching people use their cell phones. It's so interesting to me how people can't just sit and... be people. Which brings me to the following video:

louis ck smartphones - Bing Videos

I once asked my friend if he was going to continue texting the whole night rather than hang out with me and be present in our conversation. If you're looking for a way to really upset someone, there you go!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's dangerous to presume that you know what's best for others.

You make a lot of assumptions in your post, which I have highlighted in red...
...it seems I struck a nerve.

First of all, I never "presumed to know what's best for others" - I stated my observations and I asked some questions regarding those observations. Secondly, there isn't a single "assumption" in my post - the "few moments" to which you refer are actually more than fifteen minutes (they didn't look up until the food arrived).

It's obvious you have your smartphone usage in check .

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 01-22-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
...it seems I struck a nerve.

First of all, I never "presumed to know what's best for others" - I stated my observations and I asked some questions regarding those observations. Secondly, there isn't a single "assumption" in my post - the "few moments" to which you refer are actually more than fifteen minutes (they didn't look up until the food arrived).

It's obvious you have your smartphone usage in check .
You should review the definition of "presume" because you did it all over the place. The only nerve you struck was the one that controls my eyeroll. I told you about my personal smart phone use. I even answered the question.

It's just such a worn-out rant. Just read this if you want to know what people think about it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ot-having.html

Sitting around judging others for stuff you really know nothing about is just as bad as whatever you're projecting onto them.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
So, what do you folks think about the effects of smartphones and social media on the social development of our youth?
I don't know, because I don't know any young people.
Online (such as C-D) and grocery store clerks are just about the only younger folks I interact with-
but they're strangers to me, I have no idea which ones use smartphones or how much.
I've read a lot of books on the subject, though-both lauding and decrying the effects of our technology on our brains.
Quote:
Can you turn off your smartphone, sit with a group of people, and engage in a group discussion without having to access your smartphone?
I've never owned (or even used) a smart phone, cell phone, mobile device. I'm 40 and not that tech-savvy.

However, I do feel attached to, dependent upon, my computer (desktop screen).
When social interaction is available to me "in person" (offline), I do prefer & prioritize that.

I will do some things on the computer while I have company, such as select music to listen to, or show them a clip or meme, something that the other person might enjoy.
I use it the way people used to use sitting around together in front of the radio or tv set-it's a shared activity we can make conversation about.

When I have company, I don't do longer, more focused, activities online like make lengthy posts, write long emails or read long articles or posts.
I value the person that's spending 3-dimensional time w/me (over the virtual & distant communicative sphere of the internet), but since I don't often get company, am usually online instead.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
When my husband and I are together we do have the phones but they are put on silent and not answered during a meal especially if we are dining with others.
At home the cell phones are generally not answered unless it is family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships