Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

I think he wanted to start a conversation with you and didn't know anything better to say.

If he would have said "so you work at the hospital?" you might have started a threat saying "why did this creep point out the obvious?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
A couple of years ago I was in a restaurant and when I ordered a half Reuben sandwich and bowl of creamy green chile chicken soup, the waitress said, "You know you just ordered the most fattening thing on the menu."

Fast forward six months and we were engaged. Of course I had to break it off because she was always criticizing every decision I ever made.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
The food nazi thing gets really annoying, and it's not the least bit helpful. I would never bring it up in casual conversation especially with someone I don't even know.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
The food nazi thing gets really annoying, and it's not the least bit helpful. I would never bring it up in casual conversation especially with someone I don't even know.
Yeah, if one is just trying to strike up a conversation, criticizing somebody else's choices is about the worst way to go about doing it.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWAg View Post
I smile and say as politely as I can: "Really?!? Huh....Well, I'm on a food vacation, if you will."

Oh, you Texans are too nice. In New York, he'd have been told to mind his own business, end of story.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:12 PM

451 posts, read 769,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWAg View Post
What in the world?!? I know full well that there are 203987283739829832873 calories in a Meatball Marinara. It looked delicious. Was this a horrible attempt to hit on me? Does he just have horrendous social skills? Or is he genuinely concerned for my well-being, since we were across from the hospital, anyway?

I'm curious....
I don't know why so many people are so obsessed with what other people eat. I'm a fat kid, I've always been a fat kid, and I'll always be a fat kid. I eat way too many fats and not nearly enough fruits and vegetables. But do you know whose business that is? Mine. Everyone else can take a long walk off a short pier if they think I care what they think or have to say about what I eat.

Maybe he assumed that since you were in a Subway that you were trying to eat healthy, and that you didn't know that ordering the meatball marinara wasn't the best way to go about it?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,852 times
I didn't read the whole thread, admittedly, just the first page, but the man's looks, is this the most important thing? What about his mind, his spirit, his character?? This instant judgement of a person, based solely on their looks, is what women have been complaining about to men for eons.

You know who I think is "cute?" Scientists, mathematicians, philosophers, artists, musicians, geniuses, all kinds of people--based on WHO THEY ARE, not whether they are "amazing looking." Bertrand Russell, Henry Miller, Carl Sagan, Christopher Hitchens and Michu Kaku are just a few examples I can think of. These guys are HOT!!

If you go for some sort of pre-determined physical standard, alone, then you may end up with a person you really cannot talk to, cannot learn from, cannot depend on, cannot bear to be around (when the looks fade, as they inevitably will), and someone who may have the same poor character standards, and who will abandon you when a "cuter" person comes onto the horizon.

Oh, and the crap they serve at Subway is full of rotten animal bodies, salt, sugar, oil and there is nothing in those stores I would touch with a 10' pole.

Last edited by jtaustin; 09-17-2013 at 05:55 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
I would have said you made a good choice. It's really unhealthy but one of my favorite subway subs... lol.

What do you put on your meatball sub anyway?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM

451 posts, read 769,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, admittedly, just the first page, but the man's looks, is this the most important thing? What about his mind, his spirit, his character??
I don't know why the OP felt that mentioning his looks was important, but I also don't think that was the meat of the post. And doesn't judging what a stranger eats say something about his character?

Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
OP, I think you're over-thinking this. You've put a lot of thought into this one moment that has little to no impact on your life. Personally, I wouldn't give it a second thought, afterall, a guy eating at a fast food chain restaurant really has no business criticizing another person in line from ordering something at said restaurant. It's all bad for you, even if you think you're eating something healthy. Just be grateful he isn't in your chain of supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships