Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

I see this from 2 perspectives. Yes, my mom gets nuts at the holidays. She and her siblings used to take turns hosting holidays and we could have as many as 40 people. That is a lot of stress. We ate on the good china and had a kids table in the kitchen. Sometimes both sides of the family would come, and the conservative Christian non-drinkers would converge with the beer drinking red necks. That alone was stressful.

Now that I'm a mom and have hosted a few holidays, I can see why she got so nuts. Moms feel pressure to make the holidays special for their kids and guests. No matter how simple you try to keep it, it can still be a lot of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
You know what? Be thankful.

My mom has been dead for 23 years. She never made it to 60 - cancer.

I would take a bit of insanity a couple of times a year.

I agree. I lost my Mom in 2006 and miss her every single day. Holidays are the toughest and her birthday is Thanksgiving weekend. We both loved the holidays, baking and decorating the house and all the fanfare. Since she's been gone I just don't have that spark anymore.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
You know what? Be thankful.

My mom has been dead for 23 years. She never made it to 60 - cancer.

I would take a bit of insanity a couple of times a year.
I agree and let your crazy Moms be "crazy" during the Holidays and your grand parents too. Go sit in a homeless shelter during the holidays and see how miserable you can be.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:03 AM

513 posts, read 737,329 times
Default Thanksgiving is just not a big deal to me

and I'm a mother and grandmother. As I've said here before, my small-to-medium sized family didn't have big get-togethers after my grandmother had a stroke and couldn't stand crowds of people, even family. My other set of grandparents died before I started first grade. I do like doing something special for Christmas. However, I do resent the expectations of many people that it should be a Norman Rockwell experience when so many families are at least borderline dysfunctional--worse when you add in in-laws!

The best T-G- holidays I've had were the year I spent at the beach by myself and when just a couple of friends went to a restaurant.

One funny story (after the passage of several years!) was the year I decided to volunteer at the Salvation Army for Thanksgiving. It was a low period in my life--my SO of several years decided to marry his newly-single high school sweetheart, and I was out of work. I pulled myself together and decided to do something for those less fortunate. There was one lady there who had volunteered many years before and felt she was in charge--she was a pistol and pretty funny to begin with, but her know-it-all attitude got to me after a while. When we left, I realized someone had stolen my brand-new coffee carafe and my jacket, as there was no locker or such to store these things. My car had a big ding in it, also. (I suspected the know-it-all lady who bragged the entire time about her Cadillac and she had parked next to me.) Before we actually started serving people, the local head of the Salvation Army made a speech and took a lot of time explaining we would all get a letter of appreciation--never got it. That didn't bother me really--I didn't do it for some letter. All in all, it seemed to prove that no good deed goes unpunished!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Thankfully my mother is not into any holiday BS anymore. Pretty much after her mother died about two months before Christmas in 2005 she has not put one damn decoration up to celebrate the season. Probably saved us a lot of money and even more BS.

ouch... sad...

Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I don't understand it either. I have to work early on Black Friday this year and am thinking of not attending Thanksgiving dinner and my mom is throwing a fit about it just like last year. I don't know why she needs me there so bad, my brother hasn't been to a holiday dinner of any kind in quite some time and she doesn't nag him incessantly about it.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I don't understand it either. I have to work early on Black Friday this year and am thinking of not attending Thanksgiving dinner and my mom is throwing a fit about it just like last year. I don't know why she needs me there so bad, my brother hasn't been to a holiday dinner of any kind in quite some time and she doesn't nag him incessantly about it.

So she has 'lost' your brother, and now she feels she is losing you.... It's not even that you can't make it, you are just "thinking" of not attending and letting her know you don't care by being ambivalent. I'm mean come on.... she's probably cooking the whole dinner, right? And all you need to do is show up and eat it. Even if you need to work early the next day, you have to eat dinner the day before....

And she is worried that if you don't come this year (for not a very good reason), then you will stop coming just like your brother.

I think a lot of Mom's miss their families, and sometimes the only time they can rely upon the kids to come back are holidays.

Our family only gets together only once a year at Xmas, and that will probably end soon. It's definitely hard on the older generation, and the kids don't seem bothered.... I think as my generation "grows up" and starts to learn the hard way.... when "our" kids start to get to busy to come visit.... only then will we be able to see our parents' perspective.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
So she has 'lost' your brother, and now she feels she is losing you.... It's not even that you can't make it, you are just "thinking" of not attending and letting her know you don't care by being ambivalent. I'm mean come on.... she's probably cooking the whole dinner, right? And all you need to do is show up and eat it. Even if you need to work early the next day, you have to eat dinner the day before....

And she is worried that if you don't come this year (for not a very good reason), then you will stop coming just like your brother.

I think a lot of Mom's miss their families, and sometimes the only time they can rely upon the kids to come back are holidays.

Our family only gets together only once a year at Xmas, and that will probably end soon. It's definitely hard on the older generation, and the kids don't seem bothered.... I think as my generation "grows up" and starts to learn the hard way.... when "our" kids start to get to busy to come visit.... only then will we be able to see our parents' perspective.
I don't know what you know about Black Friday these days, but they're starting at 6pm on Thanksgiving. I should've been more blunt about that, it's no longer "Black Friday" but "Black Thursday".

Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I agree. I lost my Mom in 2006 and miss her every single day. Holidays are the toughest and her birthday is Thanksgiving weekend. We both loved the holidays, baking and decorating the house and all the fanfare. Since she's been gone I just don't have that spark anymore.
I feel for you. The anniversary of our Granddad's death is right before Thanksgiving.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
I loved holidays at restaurants too. No worry about cooking, dishes, satisfying every little demand. Always gave a great tip and had a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships