Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 07:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why do the same couple with the dog keep getting invited to gatherings if everyone already knows they will bring the dog?
This is a new development. I guess people get notional when they become empty nesters.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 AM

270 posts, read 703,653 times
In my country, we love dogs, especially at the BBQ party

Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Guilty as charged. I would love to take my boys every where with me but I am respectful and do not bring them any where they aren't allowed. People bring their dogs to my Halloween party and I'm fine with that. I love dog parks, beaches, PetsMart and the drive in movies. All places dogs are welcome. I agree that they shouldn't be allowed in restaurants and as much as my boys are my babies I don't want them in my bed.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:55 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
The people in question sound like they have issues. I love animals. But bringing a dog everywhere, especially one that size, is ridiculous. It's not like he is an assistance dog or a seeing-eye dog. He's a pet. A furred kid, fine, but come on already.

Maybe these people are just using the dog as an excuse to get out of going to events they really don't want to go to?

Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
My brother usually has everyone over to his house for holiday meals. Usually there are about 20 people or so. His wife, my SIL, is very overindulgent to her dog. Although she never takes the dog with her outside of the house she usually has the dog sit on a chair at the table with us for every holiday meal (as well as all the family meals). It can be quite annoying. The last few holidays her adult children have sat down, and had the rest of us sit down, in specific places so that my SIL is in the middle and there is not room for a chair for the dog.

So after years of complaining about the dog at the table (sometimes with it's snout actually ON the table) and my SIL ignoring it and saying that her husband, children, grandchildren and guests are "over reacting" this new plan finally seems to be working.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
I wouldn't invite them to anything, allergy or no allergy.
It's against the law to have an animal that is not a service dog
in a resturant. Many people don't seem to know this.
Mabey they are the people who you invite when you have something at
a resturant and then watch them storm off again, LOL, idk.
I love my dog. She's my buddy. When I go out, most of the time she
stays home and waits for me at the window.
She's safer at home, in the climate controlled snuggy environment that she
is secure in. She has her food, water, tv is left on for her. She has a wonderful
couch with a nice blanky on the top of it, where she sits and gets a front row seat
to the entire front of my home.
Yea, she is happier at home when I go out anywhere, and so am I.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:35 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
There is a time and a place for dogs. I don't mind well behaved dogs at outdoor coffee shops or in certain other outdoor places. I wouldn't bring one to someone's indoor party or house unless invited to do so.

My dog travels a lot. He is a member of the family. He is friendly and we've trained him better than we have our human children. We try not to impose him on people, but that doesn't mean we leave him home either. We try to make having him around comfortable for everyone. That means keeping him groomed, making him behave and making him easy to have around. Walking him is a priority. We carry poo bags and use them when needed. He uses his kennel as his personal refuge at home. It travels with us so we have a place to put him if needed. We bring food, water, treats, and toys to keep him happy. Some little kids are scared of him. I pick him up and hold him if needed. I don't let kids mess with him. I get down on his level and have the kids touch him on his head. I tell them that if they tease him he will bite. They seem to understand that and remind each other on how to behave.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:59 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Love my dogs and I know where and when to take them. I have a bull terrier now and people often want me to bring him. I am told beforehand when he is not invited so he stays home - no big deal. I am not one to get in a huff when/if encroaching on one's preferences concerning dogs but I hate when anothers kids are let loose and I am supposed to accept it. Is there really any difference?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:18 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The people in question sound like they have issues. I love animals. But bringing a dog everywhere, especially one that size, is ridiculous. It's not like he is an assistance dog or a seeing-eye dog.
I agree. They sound kind of crazy. lol I completely understand considering your pet to be 100% a part of your family, but it's not ok to bring them everywhere you go.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:38 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. I've owned dogs. Had dogs I loved. If you just own a dog, you are not the subject of this thread.

But help me understand this subculture among dog owners who think it perfectly okay to haul their dogs wherever they go. In other words, if they are invited to a party, the dog comes along. And they are offended if their dogs aren't welcome.

Here's the issue. My daughter is severely allergic to dogs. We're not talking a bout of sneezing here. We're talking about major reactions to the point of having gone to the emergency room a couple of times. She pretty much gave up babysitting because all her clients had dogs. What's more, she's not alone. Somewhere around 15% of the population has allergies of varying severity to dogs. My family has been great about accommodating this.

So my brother hosts Thanksgiving this year. It's a big affair with about 40 people invited, family and friends alike. One couple who was invited has been friends of our family for years. But they also like to bring their labrador with them. So when my brother invites them, they mention how excited Max, their dog, will be to come over. But when my brother, a pretty diplomatic guy, mentions that bringing Max wasn't a good idea, he was told that if Max wasn't invited they wouldn't come either. And hung up. My brother couldn't even get out that my daughter had major allergies. Instead they simply got angry and refused to come.

Fast forward to today. It was my mother's 80th birthday party. We rented out a nice restaurant and invited 120 guests. And, what do you know, the same two people show up with the damned dog. This time, the restaurant manager strolled up and said, "I'm sorry, but no dogs are allowed in the restaurant." Again, they left in a huff.

I'd like to say that this is unique. But I've noticed over the years that it's become increasingly common for people to haul their mutts to any event. As in the animals are family members and have a right to be there. Never mind that one person in every seven is allergic to dogs. They just think this segment of dog owners think it's their God-given right to bring Trixie along.

So what's the deal here?
These friends sound disordered. They actually thought their dog was going to be welcome in a restaurant? Or in a big family gathering, uninvited?

I have three dogs and I adore them...they ARE family members and central to my life. But they are NOT people, they are NOT children, they are dogs. Not only it it unfair to people who may be allergic, or frail, afraid, or simply dislike dogs...it is unfair to dogs to be treated like hairy infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships