Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
..I had a foster dog once that wasn't friendly with other dogs and people
could not understand that they needed to keep their dogs away..I wasn't sure what the foster dog would do.
One lady insisted that her dog "just wanted to play & they would be fine" I had to yell at her finally to get her to keep her dog away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
This is something that bugs ME. Don't bring a badly socialized or ****ty dog out in public. It doesn't belong there. I don't care if it's a "foster" or a "rescue;" if it can't handle being in public it shouldn't be there.

The world is not there for you to use to rehabilitate dogs with problems.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen posted
The dog was 100% fine unless someone
allowed their dog to bound up to my dog and try to play..
Responsible dog people keep their dog on a leash & under control..

Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
There was some good-natured banter about how this thread would have been received in the Pet Forum. I just read this comment today in the "About the Forum" Forum:

The Pet Forum is specifically for the positive discussion of pet issues. You are not allowed to discuss anything that could portray a pet or it's owner as less than perfect. From time to time, even the moderators will inform the forum of this requirment. Post that do not adhere to this strict one sided viewpoint are deleted or closed. Many have said its the only censored forum on City Data and that appears to be correct.
HOWEVER, it's no secret, it's not hidden, and a simple reading will indicate the tone of that forum. As such, posting anything that is not strictly favorable to pets and pet owners is a violation of that particular forums rules. So, if your not willing to abide by those strict, highly regulated set of rules, don't post on that forum.
Like I said, it's not a secret rule, its out there in the open so abide by it.......

Old 01-04-2014, 01:27 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
First time experience for me recently: a dog at a movie. Handler/owner was not obviously impaired in anyway but I'm willing to concede she had genuine issues. Dog moved around and whimpered and loudly panted throughout and have to say it was distracting. It was a long (2 hrs 40 min) movie.

So who's the real dog lover - the owner who subjected the dog to that treatment or me who'd opt to wait for the movie to appear on my home tv rather than put him through that?

There was a also a mom with a toddler at this long R-rated movie. Toddler was also distractingly restless. Again, I'd ask who is the real child-lover, me or the toddler's mom?

FWIW, the dog was more bothersome than the child but frankly both the dog's owner and the toddler's mom are idiots.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Responsible dog people keep their dog on a leash & under control..
"Under control" is a broad description. If you mean ~doesn't assault or destroy people or their property~, that's commendable.
But it's a long way from saying the animal's presence is acceptable in all social and public situations.

My MIL used to say "I never cared how my children acted at home, as long as they behaved in public". The same applies to pets. They can snap, beg, growl, drool, whimper, whine, bark, claw, jump, etc., but unless I can minimize all these behaviors - without abusing the pet - in public, I'll keep them at home.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
"Under control" is a broad description. If you mean ~doesn't assault or destroy people or their property~, that's commendable.
But it's a long way from saying the animal's presence is acceptable in all social and public situations.

My MIL used to say "I never cared how my children acted at home, as long as they behaved in public". The same applies to pets. They can snap, beg, growl, drool, whimper, whine, bark, claw, jump, etc., but unless I can minimize all these behaviors - without abusing the pet - in public, I'll keep them at home.
I think you misunderstood my post or maybe you are just saying that in general problem dogs should be kept at home..I have certainly seen many that should not be in public.
As for me I have had more than one dog that is not okay with another dog bounding up and jumping on it and me..At that point it is the other dog's owner that has allowed a bad situation..

Old 01-04-2014, 05:03 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
There have been some times where I've said to some folks, "It's a dog. A dog. Remember ... it's a dog."

Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Seriously.

We have 5 beloved pupsters, but they stay home. It's actually more out of concern for them. They aren't trained as service or people dogs; I don't know how they'd behave in a non-home environment or around people with whom they have no familiarity. I wouldn't want to fend off people who would want to give them scritches or make twee noises (they are small dogs - Japanese Chins) over them, or protect them from the snatching hands of small kids. As far as I'm concerned, there are three non-home places I know to be reasonably safe: the vet, Petsmart, the dog park. That is the extent of their out-of-home traveling.

I don't get the people taking their dogs everywhere. They certainly aren't considering the welfare of the dog.
I agree completely. I have 5 also, but I do not subject them to strange people, in difficult situations.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 AM

4 posts, read 3,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
There have been some times where I've said to some folks, "It's a dog. A dog. Remember ... it's a dog."
....but dogs are worth more to me than most humans. To each his own, as long as NEITHER infringes on another's right to happiness. Namaste.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Okay I will ask a provocative question...

If you were in a life & death situation and were forced to chose between saving your dog or a
complete stranger which would you choose ???

ps. this isn't directed at anyone specific but a general question to everyone..

Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Okay I will ask a provocative question...

If you were in a life & death situation and were forced to chose between saving your dog or a
complete stranger which would you choose ???

ps. this isn't directed at anyone specific but a general question to everyone..
I know that I would, of course, value the life of a human being above ANY animal. However, I suspect that there are a few people who would deliberately push a stranger in front of a moving car if there was even the slightest risk that their dog may get a scratch in that situation. Or refuse someone a seat in the life raft to save their large dog when their ship sinks.

People would probably deny that they would do it but, sadly, I think that some people would value the life of their pet animal over the life of human stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships