Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I don't recall reading anywhere where the OP suggested defecating on the Bible (I am still checking on that one). I agree the brother did not have to give him anything, the brother was supposed to send one thing I believe at the OP's request and decided to get cute and send something additional. The OP did not ask for the additional favor, but I agree the ties should be severed.
He did say maybe he should poop on it.

Anything that someone who is a family member or friend gives me, I will accept graciously. I have gotten all kinds of things I didn't want/couldn't use/didn't need. I'm not a collector of stuff and I don't like clutter and I don't like random stuff that people give you that you don't know what to do with. Usually I think of someone who would appreciate it and give it to them. Not as soon as I receive it, but after a while. I still appreciate that they thought of me and gave me a gift, though.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's obvious you're not "close" especially since you said ...you're just tolerating him.

So who cares? If you guys were "close" or even friendly you could call and laugh about it.

So throw it out or give it away. And STOP accepting packages if you feel it's "unwanted contact".

I don't waste energy on other people's agendas.

Did you miss the part where he said his brother had to send him something and put the bible in along with it? You quoted it. Go re-read it. Then read further along the thread, to see where the package he requested had to do with some paperwork. Nowhere in there is a license to proselytize, directly or indirectly.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I was thinking of pooping on it. Throwing it away without poop was a compromise. Maybe someone will dig it out of the trash.
Just send it back (no poop doe)

Old 12-13-2013, 12:07 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I was thinking of pooping on it. Throwing it away without poop was a compromise. Maybe someone will dig it out of the trash.
FelixTheCat = Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

Old 12-13-2013, 03:35 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
My in-laws gave us a beautiful large keepsake family Bible, which I treasure, although I must admit I do not read it. They have also given me numerous books, tracts, and other religious literature over the years. I haven't read those either. They gave our daughters books of Bible stories...which I did read to them...but the kids just considered them "stories", no different than Goldilocks and The Three Bears. My mother-in-law thought I should have them memorize Bible verses at a young age. She was not really happy that our family was raised "unchurched", and no one in my family has had the "religious conversion" which I am sure they were hoping for, but we were not rude about it. I have the books, and they are still on my self.

Really irritating is when chit-chatting with my father-in-law about current events or whatever, he will make some correlation to whatever we are talking about in the Bible or some other religious book and he'll get it out and expect me to read it...

To the OP, as far as your brother sending you an unsolicited Bible, don't mention it or acknowledge it unless he asks you specifically. Then just say, "Thank you."

Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
25 pages later and the OP has not been seen or heard from since the first post...Hmmm

Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I have took bibles from well meaning people, it means more to them than me. The thing I will not do is let religious peddlers off the street take up my time. I didn't invite them in any way to my house or yard and I will tell them to leave.
It seems to be a big unwritten plus in churches to get new people in them or someone involved they can brag about having given religious sight too and make their lives worth living. Yet those same people will step over a bum on the sidewalk, drive past someone needing help, break the commandments every week, but will be sitting in the church every Sunday for the other members to see them.
It's even worse with the secular crowd. They generally don't give a crap about anyone else. It's why so many churches, homeless shelters, orphanages, women's shelters, soup kitchens, pantries for the poor, etc, etc were founded by religious groups and/or churches. The biggest homeless shelter in Houston is Star Of Hope Mission. Our major hospitals were founded by religious groups. St. Joseph's hospital was founded by the Sisters Of Charity and most funding came from the Catholic church. St. Luke's was founded by Episcopalians and Presbyterians in the Houston area and funded by those churches. We have Houston Methodist. Memorial Hermann hospital was started by Reverend Dennis Pevoto.

The pastor of a local church here in the Houston area was contacted by a homeless shelter saying they were in need of shoes. At the very next set of services, the pastor told his congregation of the need and asked them to remove the shoes they were wearing at that moment and bring them to the stage. I've never seen or heard of this happening at a political rally, rock concert or comic con.

Shoe donation for the homeless at Fellowship of The Woodlands - YouTube

If you want to believe the crap your pedaling, "religion is just for show", you're free to go about that. My guess is that you've never taken off the shoes you were wearing to give to the homeless.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 AM

914 posts, read 943,492 times
I say religion is like a penis.

It's okay to have one...it's even okay to be proud of it.

But, please, do not display it in pubic and do not shove it down my throat.

Thanks.

And, just for the record...I do not need a religion to inform me the right thing to do...to be kind, courteous and compassionate. I do not need some promised reward after I die to go to a fictional city of gold in the sky, and I sure as heck do not need to be threatened with being thrown into a lake of fire for all eternity if I don't act in a kind, courteous, and compassionate way.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post

It's okay to have one...it's even okay to be proud of it.

Thanks.

And, just for the record...I do not need a religion to inform me the right thing to do...to be kind, courteous and compassionate. I do not need some promised reward after I die to go to a fictional city of gold in the sky, and I sure as heck do not need to be threatened with being thrown into a lake of fire for all eternity if I don't act in a kind, courteous, and compassionate way.
Who displayed it in public to the extent of offending you? Who shoved it down your throat? Are you being dramatic or do you need therapy for such a horrific event? Oh, and the penis reference is VERY telling.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post

I do not need a religion to inform me the right thing to do...to be kind, courteous and compassionate.
Considering this post , I think you DO need something to help inform you about being courteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships