Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Bogus. The 20 somethings in my world are respectful, very involved in philanthropy, and hoping, just hoping, they can have it as good as their parents. Don't judge a generation by your own relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 06:19 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It may be cultural IDK, I think the Asian cultures teach young people to be "respectful" of the older folks. Again, IDK, I do have a co-worker and met his teenage son and he seemed nice and polite etc etc.

I think you see it a lot on TV sit coms the kids being snotty or bratty to the parents and you hear the "laugh track" going indicating it's supposed to be funny.

I know my mom would have knocked my head off my neck if I'd said half of the crap you see in movies/tv etc etc nowadays....
I do think the Asian influence has a lot to with it too. All the kids, and this includes the 20 somethings all call us uncle "X", auntie "Y" or something similar. It's funny though, when most of my nieces and nephews are home for the holidays they WANT to hang with the family (we are exceptionally awesome /rofl).

That said, any disrespect will be met with holy hell from any adult in the vicinity. My husband is the same with his children, his youngest boy (who is with us the most) opens my car doors and carries my packages.

I agree that the self involvement that I see with a lot of youth doesn't bode well for our society for the next couple decades. I don't think it will last for long, I've seen everything from children are to be seen to not heard, to children being the center of universe and able to do no wrong.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-25-2013, 06:20 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Bogus. The 20 somethings in my world are respectful, very involved in philanthropy, and hoping, just hoping, they can have it as good as their parents. Don't judge a generation by your own relatives.
That wasn't very respectful.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-25-2013, 06:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
As a young woman, I believe there is some of the know it all attitude in every generation. I was taught to respect people older than me and to listen to them. So, I hope I don't come across as a kid with an attitude. If my parents ever catch me being disrespectful to anyone older than me, they will be quick to let me know.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:32 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Changes in psychology theories often filter down.

In earlier generations, self-esteem was the result of doing something worthwhile.

Recently, many promote the idea that you have to have high self-esteem in the first place.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:53 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Changes in psychology theories often filter down.

In earlier generations, self-esteem was the result of doing something worthwhile.

Recently, many promote the idea that you have to have high self-esteem in the first place.
Probably because doing something worthwhile takes time and dedication one would be tempted to give up if you don't believe in your ability to get through it. So I can understand the idea. Think about all those new year's resolutions that will be given up on by MLK day.

When a person doesn't have confidence to get through a tough challenge then they will quit unless they have some other motivation.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:59 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

If you have the confidence of a mover and shaker, you increase your chances of becoming one.

Ha I love it - the higher up on the pedestal they place themselves, the harder they fall when they make a mistake. I've seen it time and time again.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:10 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Ha I love it - the higher up on the pedestal they place themselves, the harder they fall when they make a mistake. I've seen it time and time again.
LOL, well, I didn't start this thread with intention of watching young people fail, It was more stream of conscious thinking out loud sort of deal. I think I was just off put by one of the guys just bragging and talking like he was some kind of big man on campus......he actually lives with his dad still, they have a guest house and this kid and his wife and his kids live in a one room guest house and only paying rent periodly and he's sitting around talking like he invented bread.

I prefer people to be more humble, this kid, doesn't know what the word means or where to begin to find out.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:25 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, well, I didn't start this thread with intention of watching young people fail, It was more stream of conscious thinking out loud sort of deal. I think I was just off put by one of the guys just bragging and talking like he was some kind of big man on campus......he actually lives with his dad still, they have a guest house and this kid and his wife and his kids live in a one room guest house and only paying rent periodly and he's sitting around talking like he invented bread.

I prefer people to be more humble, this kid, doesn't know what the word means or where to begin to find out.
This kid is not indicative of an entire generation of us though.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I have two daughters aged 24 and 26 and I don't see it at all. But then again we are not Americans, we're New Zealanders and we have a different culture.

But I have now lived in Vermont for the past 5 years and I'm starting to think it's a regional thing. While I was working in the Emergency Department I noticed that many of the out of State college students appeared to be a bit more over confident and blow hard than the Vermont young people. Then again these out of State kids from Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York etc, were from rich families who can afford to sent their kids to one of the most expensive Colleges in the US so maybe it was affluence rather than region.

I can recall a similar attitude when I was young, thinking I was going to change the world, full of hopes and dreams and bravado. Life kind of knocks that out of you eventually. I was born in 1963 and my teenage years were full of questioning authority and rebellion.

So in summation, I don't know if it's the parenting for the past 20 years or the media generation where everyone can be the centre of attention, or it's simply the relative innocence of youth. Whatever it is I love them all, the good and the bad, because they are our future and they are the hopes and dreams of our past. If we shun them we are only damning ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships