Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Did she ask you to move in with her? Is she trying to borrow money from you? I don't get what the big deal is, be friendly in return and also explain to her you don't like talking mid-lecture. So many people are socially awkward and really don't have the right skills to seek out and establish friendships, be kind to them.
Good point and good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
Quote:
Did she ask you to move in with her? Is she trying to borrow money from you? I don't get what the big deal is, be friendly in return and also explain to her you don't like talking mid-lecture. So many people are socially awkward and really don't have the right skills to seek out and establish friendships, be kind to them.
I am being friendly, but she is being too friendly. And this past lecture while she was trying to talk to me, I looked at her and did the "shh" sign (see below) and she said, "Oh, okay". A few seconds later she started talking again. I don't understand what's so hard about that.

The "shh" sign I was talking about

Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Ugh, she is a tough one.

Sit somewhere else. Far away from her.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Put headphones in. Dont play anything. Listen to lecture.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:55 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,016 times
Don't invite her to your pool party.

Don't share your snack at recess.

Don't pick her to be on your dodgeball team.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Sounds like mild ADD. She probably can't help how she is, but you deserve a good learning experience. If she doesn't take the hints, a private conference with the instructor is in order. You aren't there to manage her problems, you're there to learn.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
Before class begins, just say to her, "I know I haven't said this before, but I actually really dislike talking during lecture. I have to pay close attention to the teacher to hear everything she/he says." If she ignores you and starts talking to you during lecture, say to her in your normal voice (rather than a whisper), "I'm trying to listen to the lecture." Other people around you will turn and look, and it will probably embarrass her a little without you having to be mean.

If that doesn't work, then talk to the instructor after class. See if it's possible to switch groups. Whether you can switch groups or not, make sure that in the future, you always sit away from her.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:

I like you. One of my dearest friends is like that. She just can't stop talking, even in the movies I almost blew off her friendship because I thought she was an air head. I just didn't have the heart to dismiss someone trying so hard to be friends. She's one of the best people I know and I'm honored that she's my friend. I'd say give the poor girl a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. There may be more to her then just a first bad impression.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Put headphones in. Dont play anything. Listen to lecture.
^ This is probably the best and simplest answer to solve the problem.
I wish I could do this at work!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
I agree with NYC2RDU and animalcrazy. What you've mentioned is not a very good reason to not give this person a chance, imo. There are a lot of weird people out there who may still be very cool, interesting, decent, and/or kind. You just don't know if you don't give them a chance. She just sounds kind of socially awkward to me.

I can completely understand not wanting to chat during a lecture, but it doesn't take much effort to tell her before or after class one day "if you want to ask or tell me something, please do it after class." I would at least hear her out- it's not some kind of deep commitment to chat with someone a little. If you really can't stand her you can give her the cold shoulder as politely as possible, but I wouldn't write her off just yet. Ultimately it's your decision on what to do, but I've rarely regretted giving people a chance to be my friend if they've wanted to, fwiw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships