Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM

206 posts, read 303,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Love makes no sense.
It is a mystery and a wonderful wonder.
I can be robbed from, lied to, ignored, used, taken advantage of, unappreciated,
criticized and misjudged....and STILL love someone so much I would rush to
them at 4 am in the ER and give them all my blood or forgive their cheating and forgetting every birthday.
It shows me if I have this illogical love as a meesely human...how much love does
God have for me/us who does all those things to Him.

And at the same time see that is is simply pure love, not co-dependence.
I believe God places that kind of unconditional love in the person's heart.
Because I couldn't stop it if I tried...and I have bec it just makes no sense.

Love has no pride and is long suffering, for sure.
If you bring god in it he also says we should be helping people out and not looking at only your own self interests also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,017 times
Love is when you can totally understand someone and that someone totally understands you. It is not really easy for 2 human beings to really understand each otehr. Love is when you can pretty much look into each other's eyes and communicate even without words.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
I always thought that love means you care about a person and want to see them do good with their lives and become something. If their not your children then you still love them like that But you may not provide for them but would help them out. If they are you then you will provide a platform or things making sure they are doing good. You would not mistreat them bully them or try play games with them, children or not.
You accept that they are not perfect and they may do something bad to you or others but not a criminal act. It should not be an issue for them to at least Try to stop doing something that hurts you (like being rude/treating you like S**t) even if its hard for them children or not. Selfishness is a no and hatred is a no..

SO what do you say about my view on love?
Your view on love isn't wrong at all.Its true everyone will flaws in them and despite that you accept them.Well said

In my view LOVE to me is having the freedom to be who I am and being accepted for who I am.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
...I think your view is great.
Dirt Grinder's, not so much.
Yes, love accept's a person or doggy for who they are.
This not expecting them to 'be any different~ever", I don't.
I expect my whomever or doggy or baby to change bad behavior...
LOL - love isn't projecting your expectations onto someone else. Your "expecting" them to "change bad behavior" is judgmental at best and unforgiving at worst .

Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 AM

206 posts, read 303,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - love isn't projecting your expectations onto someone else. Your "expecting" them to "change bad behavior" is judgmental at best and unforgiving at worst .
Ok Dirt Grinder but check this out, how can you love a person who goes around hurting people because their hurt. For example, some women get with and stay with men who go around and do stupid things. Like beat people up, talk back to authority or even drink and drive... i would like to here your response please.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
Ok Dirt Grinder but check this out, how can you love a person who goes around hurting people because their hurt. For example, some women get with and stay with men who go around and do stupid things. Like beat people up, talk back to authority or even drink and drive... i would like to here your response please.
I can't possibly explain the actions of others. All I can say is we don't always choose who we fall in love with. We encounter very good people every day and we don't necessarily fall in love with them. It's also very difficult to change how we feel about someone we love when their behavior is unacceptable to us.

I'm just a fool with an opinion - there are trained professionals to provide actual counseling.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Mistreat is a big word. I have another friend that seems to be insensitive and occasionally
mistreats friends...I ignored it for 2 yrs then finally said ok that's it, I luv ya, but can't hang with
ya anymore bec you're too mean for me, you're like a street scrapper.
She tries to change, but continues to be snotty at times...I love her bec she was so wounded
as a child..and that behavior is not 'who she is', poor thing...I feel it is not her fault...
And she won't go to therapy so I think of her as a bratty teenager at 60.
Another guy friend asked, Do you think something happened and she has brain damage?
That is how mean she can get, yet we know her spirit is wonderful.
Love is funny...cause I can love someone, but it is unhealthy for me to be around them.
Her behavior isn't "who she is" and it "is not her fault". At what point are people with bad childhoods held responsible for their behavior? She won't go to therapy, that's the problem right there.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM

200 posts, read 165,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme132012 View Post
Love is when you can totally understand someone and that someone totally understands you. It is not really easy for 2 human beings to really understand each otehr. Love is when you can pretty much look into each other's eyes and communicate even without words.

"Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" - ( Andy Williams ) - YouTube

Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Her behavior isn't "who she is" and it "is not her fault". At what point are people with bad childhoods held responsible for their behavior? She won't go to therapy, that's the problem right there.
Yup, you are correct...she doesn't take responsibility...I must say she is the only
friend like this....I think I was her mother in a past life that is why I remain friends,
(Its like God makes me keep forgiving her and rolling my eyes inside)
If she were an acqaintance she'd be history.

As I see it, fools and idiots need love, too.
(Maybe more.)

Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - love isn't projecting your expectations onto someone else.
Your "expecting" them to "change bad behavior" is judgmental at best and unforgiving at worst .
No, honey, judgment is judgment.
Callin it how it is, is another.
If a friend is an alcoholic and I want them to change (or a thief or a rude person)
that is neither judgmental or unforgiving.
It is wanting the best for someone as you see them spiraling down into no friends, bad health,
DUIs and the like.

It is a common interpretation of 'Judge ye not, lest ye be judged.'
Judgment can be cruel and injustified and with no back story.
Seeing a friend smoking themselves to death and wanting them to change is neither
of what you said above.

And you don't stop caring for your friend that won't stop, just as you don't stop loving
your doggy that lifts his leg for a decade in the house..I expect him to change, long for him to change
But alas, they don't always...

You must have heard the saying God loves you as you are, but loves
you too much to keep you as you are.

I'm not God and I don't stop loving people bec of their issues. I can't change them...
when it is even for their health or sometimes they won't let me drive when they are drunk!
Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships