Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 18,960 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Just wondering how you would deal with this. My question is how would you deal with life if you had famous relatives? Me for example:
-Famous Athlete Basketball (Dad’s Side)
-Grammy Winning Music Producer (Dad Side)
-Uncle NFL Coach (moms side)
-Cousin-Associate producer producer in hollywood (moms side)

Recently I got invited by that famous basketball player’s sister to help out with something for the Obama’s. Anyway, I’m very humble and never brag. Only a handful I like sharing this. I recently shared the president news with a friend and envy was all over his face. I was disappointed. I try to get my friends involved. I introduced my friend who is an aspiring football coach (he coach’s high school). I got my uncle to help my friend break down film and to help him pick his brain. I get my barber pro gear when I go to NFL games. I gave a friend who wants to be an actor a chance to audition for my cousin in NY. So with the stuff I’m sharing would you not tell anybody? I have opportunities and resources that some are not fortunate to have, so I like helping. Any advice? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
"Famous" people have a busy schedule. Always make sure to ask them first...
As of sharing them with others, or your friends? I would ask them first if they want to be shared, or involved. Otherwise you are just pushing and bragging.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 PM

596 posts, read 627,481 times
This belongs in the non-relationships forum, but to answer your question, I see nothing wrong with what you're doing.

I'm the same way, if I see an interest of someone I care about, and I know I can help them, I'm going to try and do so. I'm sure or at least I'm counting on the fact that you know these people in your family well enough to offer their help; but I think if your friends can't handle it without becoming envious, that's a character flaw and personal problem with them.

Personally, I've completely had it with envious and competing friends. I believe friendships should be about supporting one another, rather than becoming downright envious or feeling the need to compete because of what you have, they should appreciate your support, because God knows how hard it is just finding people to be there for you when your down....

Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM

17 posts, read 18,960 times
Sorry if this was the wrong forum. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
Treat them the same way you would anyone else.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Like I would handle anyone else who is famous, treat them no different that the rest of my friends and family.
They are human and doing what they worked hard for and love to do.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 AM

639 posts, read 678,560 times
One thing you need to do is not confuse family (whom you have no choice about) with friends (whom you can CHOOSE based on similar character traits, personalities, etc), Yes, it would be awesome if your family was loving and supportive instead of petty and jealous, but they aren't and there's nothing you can do to change that. So accept it and move forward.

The only way to "handle" them is to continue to do amazing things with your life, live your life the way YOU want to and take anything they say with a grain of salt. Say "yeah, okay" and then think to yourself "pssh, whatever" and do what you feel is right. This is exactly why you'll see famous celebrities who don't speak to their dad or their brother or cousin or whomever - because they didn't do anything to help them get where they are but now that they're rich and famous there they are with their hands out.

So if they put on a fake smile and congratulate you, honey, put on an even BIGGER fake smile and say "thank you". Don't worry about them talking badly about you behind your back because it just means they have nothing better to do with their lives. Just surround yourself with friends that YOU chose to be around you and who will support you. They can become your family.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Treat them the same way you would anyone else.
Definitely. They are just people.
In my riding days I met lots of famous people.
To repeat they ARE just human.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relationshippro View Post
One thing you need to do is not confuse family (whom you have no choice about) with friends (whom you can CHOOSE based on similar character traits, personalities, etc), Yes, it would be awesome if your family was loving and supportive instead of petty and jealous, but they aren't and there's nothing you can do to change that. So accept it and move forward.
Where in the world does the OP say his family is petty and jealous, and not loving and supportive?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
I would not overdo the asking for favors...They might think thy should relegate you to "fan" status. I would treat them like your Uncle, Aunt, Cousin....whatever....
Think about it. Think how you might feel if the only time someone contacted you was to have you do a favor for someone....DO not abuse the privilege...They will appreciate you for it. This is my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships