Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't she get a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:06 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
So the food stamps meant for you and your son also fed her and her son? If so, that may be why you don't "have enough" to feed the two of you anymore.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
The 7 year old is my fiance/GF's son and yes we do live together but finances are tricky because I am the only one currently working. She is unemployed and is not receiving any unemployment at the moment thanks to congress not extending benefits beyond the first tier so at this point in time I am supporting not only myself but my fiance and her son as well as my own 5 year old.
Well, there's your problem. Your GF should be working full time, even if it is an undesirable job like in fast food or retail. Or waiting tables. That could easily make up the income gap in your household and then you wouldn't need government handouts.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:19 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Sounds crazy but if you want or need more money, give it away. Donate to local charity or children's hospital. I promise you, you'll receive double back what you gave. Call it the universe. Call it God. But it's the law. Whatever you give, shall be given unto you. I always tell people this. If you are going through trying times financially and see no way out, just go out and help someone else. Bless someone with a kind word or gift or gesture. You also need to speak faith over yourself and the situation. You need to take authority and say "I will overcome this trial in my life. I will receive all the money I need to buy groceries and food for myself and my son and we will be okay. We will have more than enough." Those are declarations. When you speak those words into the atmosphere, you call it into being.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
I think leaving out the item that you are also supporting your unemployed GF and HER son is twisting the facts a bit, guy. It's a HUGE impact on the entire story. Your GF is "unemployed and not receiving any unemployment at the moment thanks to Congress . . ." Bull. She's unemployed because SHE DOESN'T HAVE A JOB. stop blaming Congress. She got unemployment. Did she think it would last forever? Good grief. My daughter had THREE jobs last summer between college semesters -- one part time in an office, one as a server, and another as a babysitter. Sorry, but I think your GF could find a job as a server working nights while you watch her child. That would be bringing in some much-needed funds. Right now, your son is only getting half of what he's supposed to get, because you are giving funds that are supposed to be for his benefit to your GF and HER child. So don't blame the government for "cutting" the food stamps -- you had already cut it, yourself.

Plus, I suspect that your parents aren't terribly happy about you shacking up with an unemployed leach and taking care of both her AND her child. Your first post made it sound like it was just you and your son, against the cold cruel world. Instead, it's you, your son, your girlfriend AND he child, complaining that the government won't keep paying you. If LA is too expensive -- move. God knows, there are plenty of other places to work and raise a family where the COL isn't so high -- Phoenix has housing that is half of L.A.'s, Portland is 30% less, even Dallas is 62% less. I think you'd find your parents to be a bit more sympathetic if you stopped doing the same thing that got you in this rut and take some measures to get yourself out that didn't involve depending on a government handout.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It is simply not true that "union jobs don't exist anymore." Completely false. If you want to get into a union, sign up and start going to school to learn a trade. What a cop-out.
read the news. unions are on the decline. it isn't like it used to be. this poster seems to work hard and wants to do the right thing. what he has described is what 30 years of reganomics has done to our country. the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

op, i'm sorry you are in this situation. i hope you can figure out a way to get ahead without having to leave you son for 60 hours/week. if you haven't already looked into it see if you qualify for subsidized day care or wic.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
The 7 year old is my fiance/GF's son and yes we do live together but finances are tricky because I am the only one currently working. She is unemployed and is not receiving any unemployment at the moment thanks to congress not extending benefits beyond the first tier so at this point in time I am supporting not only myself but my fiance and her son as well as my own 5 year old.
those would be important details to include in your story.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I actually know several young people who have joined unions - electrical, plumber, and HVAC. There is hard work involved - I think that is the problem.

To the people who say "It's not like it used to be," and "the economy's bad," and "my girlfriend isn't bringing in any income because the big, bad congress did not extend unemployment" - those are all excuses and signs of entitlement. If you want to work, you will work. Period.

This guy has an entitlement mentality. Most men are too proud to use food stamps and well they should be.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I think leaving out the item that you are also supporting your unemployed GF and HER son is twisting the facts a bit, guy. It's a HUGE impact on the entire story. Your GF is "unemployed and not receiving any unemployment at the moment thanks to Congress . . ." Bull. She's unemployed because SHE DOESN'T HAVE A JOB. stop blaming Congress. She got unemployment. Did she think it would last forever? Good grief. My daughter had THREE jobs last summer between college semesters -- one part time in an office, one as a server, and another as a babysitter. Sorry, but I think your GF could find a job as a server working nights while you watch her child. That would be bringing in some much-needed funds. Right now, your son is only getting half of what he's supposed to get, because you are giving funds that are supposed to be for his benefit to your GF and HER child. So don't blame the government for "cutting" the food stamps -- you had already cut it, yourself.

Plus, I suspect that your parents aren't terribly happy about you shacking up with an unemployed leach and taking care of both her AND her child. Your first post made it sound like it was just you and your son, against the cold cruel world. Instead, it's you, your son, your girlfriend AND her child, complaining that the government won't keep paying you. If LA is too expensive -- move. God knows, there are plenty of other places to work and raise a family where the COL isn't so high -- Phoenix has housing that is half of L.A.'s, Portland is 30% less, even Dallas is 62% less. I think you'd find your parents to be a bit more sympathetic if you stopped doing the same thing that got you in this rut and take some measures to get yourself out that didn't involve depending on a government handout.
Great post.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
You could try to find a way to do part-time work from home, for extra income. Is your gf looking for a job? If she's at home, and doesn't want to or can't find a job, the logical thing would be for her to handle the home and childcare stuff while you got a 2nd job. You don't have a whole lot of choices here. Reality rears its ugly head and forces you to face it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships