Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,251,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I was raised very strictly and am intolerant of children who are uncontrolled. I welcome some of my friends to bring their children and others are invited with, "Can you find a babysitter and visit us?" When I got married, there was a lot of alcohol passed around and in anticipation of this, our invitations specified, "Please. No one under 21." It didn't seem to bother anyone. Parents who have unruly children know it. They just are used to it. I let them know, I'm not.

You were lucky. When we noted "adult reception" on the invitation, some of my ex's family got very offended that their little darlings were not invited. Never mind that the reception was from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m., which would take them well past their bed-time and into Screaming, Crying, Overtired, Cranky Demon Children time. We were expected to let them run amok while the grown-ups were trying to enjoy their first real night out for something positive in the aftermath of September 11. (I married about six weeks after that, not far from the Pentagon.) We stood firm, and a good time was had by all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,146,303 times
I'm not really a kid person though I have a few acceptations, a handful of kids I absolutely love and adore, but for some reason kids love me, including all the kids on my street so I decided I was going to have to find a way to at least act like I liked them so I wouldn't make anyone feel bad.

One day I was getting annoyed with the noise of a skate ramp/rails someone set up on our street so I went out and started teasing them about being able to jump the rails and curbs better then them. One smart mouth little boy said prove it. He bet me I couldn't jump from the ramp then off the curb without losing his board. He even said he would bet me an ice cream from the icecream truck. Sucker! I made him buy me a firecracker popsicle!

Now I look at kids as my excuse to act like a kid and take advantage of the fact that people think I'm just entertaining them when in reality I really enjoy running around climbing trees, jumping off of ramps, playing on the trampoline, etc.! It snowed here a few weeks ago and when I went out to clean off my cars I got smacked in the head with a snowball by one of the teen kids which led to a rip roaring snowball fight with half my street!

I actually think ugly babies and toddlers are adorable. I can't help but smile at them. And the bratty or crying kids in stores? I stick my tongue out at them and they are usually so shocked that they stop crying so they can do it back at me haha.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 AM

335 posts, read 622,727 times
I guess for me it really depends on the kids in question.

I have always been very nervous around babies. I never know what to do with them! Years ago when my cousin was born, my grandmother was practically forcing me to hold her- thankfully my aunt sensed my apprehension and told her MIL to back off. I was never one to see a baby in a stroller and gush over it. Now, if I saw a dog or a cat, different story!

I only really started liking kids when I started skating at the rink. Which sounds funny but that's what happened! I started teaching some of the younger kids (not the toddlers) how to skate, and some of them were so adorable and I thought it was great the way they took to me. I even decided I finally wanted to try to have kids (wasn't successful though).

Now, my brother's ex-wife has a niece and nephew that he still stays in touch with. They are monsters. I cringe any time he hosts a family function because he invites them and it's stressful. Throwing things in the house, running around, makes me very nervous. I had recently bought a new iphone and when my brother told me that I'd better keep it out of site from them or they'd start playing with it, I had a fit. Told him if they dare touched it they would regret it for the rest of their lives. (Thankfully they didn't). I blame the parents for lack of discipline. (I was told to keep your hands to yourself, growing up, I guess many parents today just don't care.)

My mother was the same way around kids. When my llttle cousins would play with me at my grandparent's house, my mother would sit there with a pout on her face and ask why they couldn't just keep quiet. I guess it runs in the family?

Old 02-24-2014, 11:16 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,101,640 times
I rather spend 10 hours working in my office as half an hour with a child. They exhaust me within minutes and the whole baby talk and "why" questions are too much for me.

Besides I hate loud voices and shrill kids screaming makes me want to run away.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 AM

88,974 posts, read 85,503,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
You were lucky. When we noted "adult reception" on the invitation, some of my ex's family got very offended that their little darlings were not invited. Never mind that the reception was from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m., which would take them well past their bed-time and into Screaming, Crying, Overtired, Cranky Demon Children time. We were expected to let them run amok while the grown-ups were trying to enjoy their first real night out for something positive in the aftermath of September 11. (I married about six weeks after that, not far from the Pentagon.) We stood firm, and a good time was had by all.
That was smart. I had my wedding reception at a hotel, and a few people had small kids. We had the parents chip in and pay a babysitter to have videos and play games in a room after the dinner so that the adults could dance and enjoy the reception without the kids around. Then they collected their children at the end (some of them were staying at the hotel).

Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM

9,587 posts, read 5,879,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I am pretty patient about dealing with children but inside sometimes I wanna scream. Am I just mean or is this a pretty normal way to feel? I mean I'm sure I'd like my OWN kids if I ever have any
Belmont, I really love my 3 kids.

HOWEVER, sometimes they drive me insane. Sometimes all their noise makes me want to run for the hills. I'm usually pretty patient with them; at other times, not so much. They often make me laugh, but there are moments when they make me wanna scream (and on rare occasions, I do).

No, you're not mean, and yes, it's a perfectly normal way to feel, whether you're a parent or not. Relax.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,084,548 times
I love my kids completely.

I don't enjoy some other kids. Some yes, some no, both to varying degrees of intensity.

I feel guilty about that...sometimes. Mostly I try not to think about it.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
One more thing. Yes, some babies are cute. However, some are just butt ugly. You will hear "they're so cute!". You will NEVER hear "wow, that face could stop a clock!"
Oh, c'mon! Admit it; you said that to get a reaction! LOL.

Some babies are butt ugly? Yes, some babies are "cuter" than others, but I don't think I've ever seen a butt ugly baby. Butt ugly men, perhaps, but not butt ugly babies.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM

18,760 posts, read 11,853,154 times
I didn't like them as much when I was young but for some reason I'm a kid magnet. I never had children but I always have some shorties hanging around. Some of them have kids of their own now and so the cycle continues. (You should be at my house on Halloween with about 20 shorties running around.)

Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I generally like all kids in small doses, and some in larger doses.

Its the parents that irritate me.

As a parent of 3, I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships