Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times

Advertisements

MBM summed it up well. Heed their advice!

Your young unlike us older farts and u will learn through life who your TRUE friends are.

Life and it's circumstances dictate who those friends may be if there are any at all. I wish you well in making friends and such, but my rule of thumb has always been.. your lucky in life to have 1 true friend at all...in my case it's my dog!!

I'm not that cynical right now my best and trusted friends are the guys i work with and I'll take it..

Don't lone people money and let your work and life take you down a path where you will meet new people and maybe lifelong friends.

There are some real con artists out there that take advantage of people daily and if it doesn't feel right..forget about it.

Keep your friends close but your enemies even closer! Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 05:09 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
I had a falling out with a "friend" I had known for 30 years recently. After the incident he tried to reconnect but I had reviewed our "friendship" and realized it was always about what I could do for him. I saw no benefit for me to continue. The guy is dead to me.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:44 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
A person goes through life and at some point discovers that very few of his aquaitances were actually friends.

In our younger years we are not clear as to what a friend is we include Buddies, Pals, cohorts etc. While some of those may be friends not all of them will be.

I think as we age we narrow our concept of friends and redefine as more intimate than we did in our younger years.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A person goes through life and at some point discovers that very few of his aquaitances were actually friends.

In our younger years we are not clear as to what a friend is we include Buddies, Pals, cohorts etc. While some of those may be friends not all of them will be.

I think as we age we narrow our concept of friends and redefine as more intimate than we did in our younger years.
Life is a journey for sure and as we age it seams the years go by quicker and quicker and maybe having a bad
experience at the OP's age is a good thing.. like a lesson learned about life and what to expect in the future..

And agree that as we age the social circle that we allow into our space becomes narrow..because where not a 20 something anymore and select our friends more wisely..

Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
While it is possible at any age to make firm and rewarding connections with people who are interesting, responsible and caring, it nevertheless bears mention that family-formation is a strain on friendships. As people couple-up, and especially as they start having kids, priorities shift. I've observed that so many adults with school-aged children have their closest "friendships" with other parents. The kids are the common-interest at the core of the friendship. This doesn't precluding maintaining connection with buddies from high school or college, but the immediacy of those bonds is vitiated by the intra-family closeness.

The "solution" to the OP's predicament is to get married. No, really; I mean this in no sardonic or taunting sense. Marriage brings with it a whole new group of married-friends, or at the least, facilitates continuation of connection to existing friends who are now themselves married. More importantly, with a spouse - who should be one's best friend, by far - other friendships become secondary.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Yes -- some people in high school and before had all kinds of "friends", others never had more than one or two friends because their definition of "friend" is narrower.

In high school and before, we're all less formed -- we're somewhat more blank slates, a friend might be someone to go to football games and dances with.

It changes in college because it's a time where you meet people not from your neighborhood or part of town so you make "friends" with more of them but you have college in common.

As you get older, you may have pals in the workplace but your closest friends may be spouse, family members, in-laws. Usually our social life change, fewer parties and dances.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:37 PM

72 posts, read 126,415 times
ohio_peasant nailed it that one's spouse should be their best friend. This is the case with my wife and I.
One big impediment to continuing friendships as you age is that, individuals change and hopefully become wiser over time and the chances of two individuals changing at anywhere near the same rate are slim.
This leads to drifting apart, which also often happens to people who are married, leading to divorce.
As stated by another poster, there are givers and there are takers.
The takers are often easy to spot since they are usually attention vampires.
Energy follows attention so they will tend to take all of the energy they can from those that give them attention, without giving much in return.
A true friend will end up giving a roughly equal exchange of energy.
A true friend may not be able to pay a loan back in cash, but will make a point of finding another way to adequately return the favor.
One thing to also keep in mind is that many individuals are hesitant to trust others given the increasing amount of lies, deceit and cons that have been perpetrated in our society during recent years.
The number of parasitic takers has grown tremendously over the last few decades, with many of them filling the ranks of the so-called 'successful and wealthy' members of society, with an increasing number of people emulating them to also be considered 'successful'.
This has clearly impacted the ability to find individuals who might be worthy of being friends.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I don't lend money out much but when I do I know I'm not going to get it back and that's okay with me. I've heard that people who had a lot of friends in younger years sometimes lose friends or see them a lot less as they get older. For me, I just never had many friends and had less and finally none as I got older. My moving around so much in my teen years and being restless and wanting to move still pretty much sealed that fate for me.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 AM

411 posts, read 416,195 times
You know, someone wise once said to me "never fall out with friends over money. If you lend somebody something, be prepared to never see it again". you have to let things go and learn a lesson - you'll be the better person AND eventually wiser.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The older you get, the less bull$hit you are willing to put up with.
I am the opposite-the older I get, the less B.S. I am willing to put up with.

Yes, I'm 31 now & married, I don't feel the need for so many friends. I really only have 1 close girlfriend right now. The rest are couples who both my husband & I are friends with-these couples are not people I could call at a random time to talk about personal stuff, just acquaintances who we hang out with here or there.

Before, I always felt like I had to have a large circle of friends-in high school and in college I felt like a 'loser' if I didn't. Now, I'm realizing that they were not good friends at all-and I didn't even enjoy most of their company-they were just there because of that need for friends.

I don't feel that need anymore. Too many people cause drama, are selfish (like people who will only talk about themselves & their problems, and never ask how you are, what's new with you, or pay attention when you talk about yourself), or like in your case, are always needing money. The 1 close girlfriend I have right now is better quality and will be there for me. That's all I need (aside from my husband, who is my best friend).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships