Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:57 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times

Advertisements

I was given a head's up on the chosen names for our first grandchild. I was very glad it was a boy, and not a girl. But, as others have said, mum's the word!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 PM

251 posts, read 273,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I grin and bear it. My nephew named his daughter Laughter. She was born while I was living out of state, but I will soon be moving back and seeing her often. I think I will call her Gigs, short for giggles.
how about Chuckles or Guffaw

Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
Bite my tongue and save my laughter/groans for when I'm alone.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:09 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I grin and bear it. My nephew named his daughter Laughter. She was born while I was living out of state, but I will soon be moving back and seeing her often. I think I will call her Gigs, short for giggles.
LOL, thanx for explaining what Gigs would be short for!

We have friends who named their son Behr, prounounced "Bear". I dont have a problem with a 'different' name like that, but go all the way with it, spell it Bear. Why have a weird name and have everyone in the world misspell it forever. Not to mention it's a very popular brand of paint...

Old 05-27-2014, 02:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
LOL, thanx for explaining what Gigs would be short for!

We have friends who named their son Behr, prounounced "Bear". I dont have a problem with a 'different' name like that, but go all the way with it, spell it Bear. Why have a weird name and have everyone in the world misspell it forever. Not to mention it's a very popular brand of paint...
The 'spell it different so it's Yooneek' thing is a pet peeve of mine. The pronunciation is the same and all you're doing is condemning your child to a lifetime of, "John, with a silent x. No, the x is between the h and the n, not after the x."

Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I say nothing. It's their child! Their taste is respectable, even if we find their choice silly or ugly or whatever. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings!
Great post, should end the thread!

Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM

56 posts, read 78,204 times
The name Brooklynn has become quite popular up my way.

It's a city, not a name.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Pissah View Post
How do you react when a close friend or family member who's just had a baby tells you what the baby's name is and you hate it?
Unless they ask for your opinion, no need to volunteer.

My girlfriends and I all kicked around out baby names more with each other than hubby's and I have even been asked to help convince hubby on one particular name but only after being ASKED. If you are not close enough to that friend or family member that your opinion was solicited, than you are not close enough to give your opinion unasked.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 788,926 times
With some close former/current male co-workers I talk to nearly everyday, we tend to rip on each other if someone's kid has a weird name. Yeah, it can be a bit harsh, but we're young guys who joke around a lot and know each other's limits. I wouldn't say we hate these names, we just think the names people hand out these days can be odd sometimes. Like the whole "-den" trend for boys names. Not a fan of it.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
With the exception of tormenting my little sister for giving her children Italian mafia names (we're Irish!), I have managed to keep my opinions to myself, even when my cousin named her child Taylor Elizabeth! I should have spoken up because she later said it never occurred to her what she did until it was too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships