Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Still waiting to hear the answer to this.

There are plenty of annoying people in public places. Some are children, some are adults. Coming online to complain about annoyances is one thing; actually doing something IRL to solve the problem is another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yeah, really, hello??? Anyone home?

Someone said another thread in here was the dumbest thread they'd seen in here...my vote goes to this one.
Well maybe CD should just close down completely and everyone should figure out their own answers to their own problems IRL. Geez.

Don't you think that those of us reading this thread appreciate the various ideas that people are discussing? There's no "one size fits all" solution. Sometimes talking to the parent of the screaming child helps, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes going to the manager for assistance works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes asking questions at CD results in helpful responses; sometimes it results in ones like these quotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM

159 posts, read 292,253 times
I'm not sure why it's the manager's fault that a parent doesn't know how to parent. I wouldn't expect a free movie pass or refund.. all I would expect of them is to ask the person to leave.

As for the original question - it could be an entitlement issue. I'm not a parent so I don't know exactly how they feel but I do know it is INCREDIBLY rude to allow this behavior.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
I think some parents develop the ability to tune out & ignore the noise, chaos, and other annoying behaviors of their young children while at home, as a coping mechanism, and that becomes a bad habit that they repeat in the outside world. They become so used to it on a daily basis, that they don't realize how disturbing it is to other people. Doesn't make it right, of course, parents should always pay attention to what their kids are doing... especially in public. Parents are responsible for bringing children into the world, and they are also responsible for their children's behavior around other people.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
The biggest issue with kids I've seen is rocking their seat back and forth into my knees. But that wasn't the worst.

The worst I saw was someone who went to the Green Lantern midnight debut and was drunk or something and puked about 40 minutes before the showing. The theater had to change the seat and clean it up.

What I find funny is people who complain about singing along with the soundtrack. I saw Lion King during its 3-D re-release with my then girlfriend and because we saw the movie so many times after it's original release that we knew every single song and couldn't help it. The only reason I know is my ex waited for me at the bathroom and the guy who sat next to us was with his group and was saying "The people next to me sang throughout the movie."

Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyname10 View Post
I'm not sure why it's the manager's fault that a parent doesn't know how to parent. I wouldn't expect a free movie pass or refund.. all I would expect of them is to ask the person to leave.

As for the original question - it could be an entitlement issue. I'm not a parent so I don't know exactly how they feel but I do know it is INCREDIBLY rude to allow this behavior.
It's tough to say, I would say the manager needs to do something. I'm not saying what they should do because it would be rude to actually stop the movie to throw out a belligerent person or a constantly crying kid and what if it's more than one. I think the free movie pass or refund is the path of least resistance and best result given most situations.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 PM

99,574 posts, read 4,492,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Adults in theaters are ten times worse than kids, in my experience. Worked in a theater for years...the adults are ten times more often the perpetrators.

I do not go anymore.

Too bad. I loved the movies.
So true! I hardly ever see kids in the movies I attend, but there are plenty of "problem adults". I usually attend a showing on weekdays in the morning and that helps a lot. Maybe the troublemakers can't get out of bed that early.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's tough to say, I would say the manager needs to do something. I'm not saying what they should do because it would be rude to actually stop the movie to throw out a belligerent person or a constantly crying kid and what if it's more than one. I think the free movie pass or refund is the path of least resistance and best result given most situations.
I would respectfully disagree. If someone is being belligerent or noisy, then if you're advocating a free pass or refund, every other person in the theater would be entitled to that (because let's face it, a crying baby or whatever can be heard throughout the whole theater). The noisemakers should be inconvenienced (by being asked to leave), not everyone else.

I do love how Alamo Drafthouse Theater handles it, as others have already mentioned. When I was there recently, just before the movie, they played a voicemail left by an angry patron who had been asked to leave. Oh!! Lucky day! I just found the clip on Youtube! Enjoy!

The theater crowd erupted in applause and laughter after this was played!

Edited to remove link, because I feared I might get kicked off CD due to the strong language in that clip. If you're interested, google youtube alamo drafthouse kicked out

Last edited by kayanne; 05-30-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 04:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
It's a great clip - I thought about posting it last night but decided to stick with the Ann Richards one instead for the very reasons you gave.

Just the kind of self-entitled person their policy is intended for!

However, here's a link to Alamo Drafthouse's page on this incident and their policy. I particularly liked this bit:

"When we adopted our strict no talking policy back in 1997 we knew we were going to alienate some of our patrons. That was the plan. If you can't change your behavior and be quiet (or unilluminated) during a movie, then we don't want you at our venue. Follow our rules, or get the hell out and don't come back until you can"

Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If we stick together this kind of thing can stop. Maybe we need to look at the mentality of the people who fume and do nothing. Complaining about entitlement or rudeness on a message board has no effect. You have to take action. I'm tired of being the only one to do so, then all the other people who are upset about the disturbance do nothing and don't back me up. People who tiptoe around the nutters who have no boundaries or respect, might want to take a look at themselves as enablers.
I agree. I am an action-taker, too. I would back you up; however, we stopped going to the movies because it was so annoying, not so much with kids but large guys with long legs who rest their feet on the back of the seats in front; cell phone use; popcorn-munching and all other noises.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's a great clip - I thought about posting it last night but decided to stick with the Ann Richards one instead for the very reasons you gave.

Just the kind of self-entitled person their policy is intended for!

However, here's a link to Alamo Drafthouse's page on this incident and their policy. I particularly liked this bit:

"When we adopted our strict no talking policy back in 1997 we knew we were going to alienate some of our patrons. That was the plan. If you can't change your behavior and be quiet (or unilluminated) during a movie, then we don't want you at our venue. Follow our rules, or get the hell out and don't come back until you can"
I love that!!!! And I'm happy that I now live in a city in which I can specifically patronize a business that exercises such wonderful common sense!!

There is NO excuse that a theater full of people should have their night out ruined because of the rudeness of a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships