Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I put this in the relationships board because I thought it would get some conversation going about how people see you and how you can be the same person to two different people, and one person will think you are wonderful and another just terrible!
I've learned that it takes just one slight off the mark comment or statement that can get a person to dislike you. No matter how nice you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
If you read my previous posts you see that I am semi retired and work part time as a Community College Instructor and teach Business and Communications classes.

Last week the classes ended for the term and it was time for the students to evaluate my teaching and communication style. I taught three classes and had the 30 students in each class (the maximum allowed for a class)

I put this in the relationships board because I thought it would get some conversation going about how people see you and how you can be the same person to two different people, and one person will think you are wonderful and another just terrible!
Helpful too when this assessment is done during a person's career, peak earnings years. Helps with addressing opportunities at a time when the outcomes can be monetized.

I had "360 Feedback", a somewhat-detailed peer review, done mid-career with 17 respondents. Executives (my management), peers, direct reports, and friends.

The upsides were easy, I think many or most of us know what we do well. Feel-good and all that. But don't dwell on it: that's the simple part.

Opportunities, well: some were not surprises, but the degree of feeling (some more, some less) was something of a head-scratcher. Few people like to be called out or confronted, but as professionals we must deal-with.

Loser complain, take a victim mentality and blame others, shut down, or exhibit other negative behaviors. That's OK, in a sense: they're removing themselves from the competition pool for work that has impact as far as I'm concerned. The world needs worker bees too.

But, of course, perception is reality in such cases. The trick is to divorce your ego, and talk to others or examine your own behaviors regarding "why" some people might think that way. Then try mitigations for it, which may involve role playing and peer review in a candid, safe environment.

I'm extremely fortunate my current workplace has detailed, deep training on behavioral or management style identification and adjustment. As my general manager says, "don't be your worst enemy."

Old 06-08-2014, 12:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why would you ask your students to evaluate your personality? Surely the idea is to evaluate your class and teaching capabilities.
I wonder the same thing as well.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
If you read my previous posts you see that I am semi retired and work part time as a Community College Instructor and teach Business and Communications classes.

Last week the classes ended for the term and it was time for the students to evaluate my teaching and communication style. I taught three classes and had the 30 students in each class (the maximum allowed for a class)

One of the questions in the class evaluation form was what the students thought of my likability and approachability. Comments in written style were appreciated. It gave me a chance to see what my students thought about me as a person.

It was so interesting to see what people in a confidential survey thought about my personality and communication style. Most of my students loved me and thought I was so nice, approachable and easy to talk to. While a very outspoken minority had some strong things to say about me that were not so nice.

I was the same person to everyone. How could people see the same person so different?

It is not just about your personality. I'm sure I have a horrible personality, but my students love me and say I'm wonderful. It's more to do with how you made them feel in your class. People tend to get turned off in a class when they don't feel good about themselves - they don't understand the material, they feel confused, they get answers wrong and feel embarrassed, and so on. Once they are unhappy with themselves as students they tend to extend that unhappiness to all aspects of the course. Sometimes people don't really know why they hated a course or instructor, so comments on evaluations can be misleading. So it's not your actual personality that has been evaluated - that would be somewhat out of your control. But how you make students feel - paying attention to how each student is feeling during class, checking in with people throughout the semester - is something you can control. You may not be able to please every single person every time, but you can make most of the students feel good most of the time if you take the evaluation as a chance to improve and not as an interesting observation on how people view your personality.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Yes 90 people evaluated you but to be precise it was 90 students evaluating a teacher. Few of them would recognize good from bad. Imagine 90 students rating Warren Buffet on teaching Business Economics 101 even at a major MBA school....never mind a community college where they might not could afford or are not bright enough for...whatever.

I say if 90% said great job. learned. knows what he talking about, helped me, etc. then consider it as roaring success.

Here is to you Teach...........
Really good college teachers get 100% good ratings, or at least 99%. And it's not because we have great personalities. We just know how to treat students and we actually try for that 100% and don't think 90 is good enough and don't think it's beyond our control. Many semesters I hit the 100% positive, some semesters I get a small percentage of minor criticisms, but it's been 10 years since I've gotten a seriously negative evaluation from any student.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:20 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
I wonder the same thing as well.
Personality, rather inter-personal skills, questions are common for teacher evaluations at all levels.

One of mine is, "Makes students feel welcome to the learning delivery area". Another is, "Shows proper empathy". Those are on the evaluations done by the Principal.

The wording in the student survey is on the order of, "The Instructor makes me feel welcome to the learning delivery area" and "The Instructor is empathetic to my individual problems".

Old 06-08-2014, 02:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:

One of the questions in the class evaluation form was what the students thought of my likability and approachability. Comments in written style were appreciated. It gave me a chance to see what my students thought about me as a person.

It was so interesting to see what people in a confidential survey thought about my personality and communication style. Most of my students loved me and thought I was so nice, approachable and easy to talk to. While a very outspoken minority had some strong things to say about me that were not so nice.

I was the same person to everyone. How could people see the same person so different?

It was very interesting for me to find out that different siblings will have very different points of view of their own same two parents.

It can be so different that you'd think they were describing totally different people.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've learned that it takes just one slight off the mark comment or statement that can get a person to dislike you. No matter how nice you are.
Or a non-A grade.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,563 times
This.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 PM

261 posts, read 418,432 times
People see things different ways for different reasons or different life experiences. Same with music and art. People hear a song or see a drawing, a lot of people will like the song or the drawing, and a there'a lot of people who won't.

One person can look outside and see bright sunny day and wants to be outside, while another person looks outside and sees a sad and gloomy day and would just rather be inside with the windows shut and the curtains drawn.

I've heard some celebrities say they get lots of really nice fan mail, but when they get a fan mail that's critical of them, that's the one that sticks out in their mind. Even though they get thousands wonderful glowing letters from fans, and they get one critical letter, it's the critical one they remember and it makes feel real bad, and it even lowers their self-esteem a notch or two. Even though a thousand love them, they can only concentrate on the one that doesn't. I guess that's just the nature of human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships