Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times

Advertisements

Different cultures, religions interpret things differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:46 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What don't you understand about "in context"?

Next time type it slower so he can keep up!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Most politicians, actors, musicians and television personalities are loved or hated. To get nearly everyone to like them would allow few people to love them or get excited to see them. To be really effective as a performer (which is what a teacher is basically among other things), you have to have a personality that people react to strongly which will cause a share of people who think negatively about you. Someone who nearly everyone likes is usually bland and very unforgettable in their personality and presentation.
I keep explaining but you don't want to hear it. Your evaluations from students are not about people LIKING or LOVING you. They are about your teaching, no matter what the question was. The students don't know you. They only know your teaching. The evaluation shows how well you taught, and that's pretty much it, at least most of the time. These are not your friends or your peers. These are not your fans. Your personality is unimportant - the students only see what you present, and that is not your personality any more than an actor presents his real personality. If you have no teaching experience then you are probably unaware of things like the intonation of your voice, your use of space and movement in the classroom, what your facial expressions convey at different times, how to watch and interpret the facial expressions of your audience, how to use movement and volume to keep attention, and so on. Not to mention how to structure an excellent lesson in a given time period. I have been teaching for almost 30 years, and that's 30 years of trial and error figuring out what works and what doesn't, perfecting my public speaking skills, studying and experimenting and perfecting my lesson planning, and so on. Not to mention that I've been teaching the same material for about 10 years. I get nearly perfect evaluations for most classes. I didn't always. But 30 years of working hard and really trying and caring has brought me to a pretty good place. I am really confused as to why you think, having just started out teaching, that you know everything there is to know about it and are already doing it as well as you ever will.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I keep explaining but you don't want to hear it.
Head and brick wall aren't a good combination. The OP has however, and in his inimitable fashion, managed to create another related thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/teach...etty-much.html

Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
If you read my previous posts you see that I am semi retired and work part time as a Community College Instructor and teach Business and Communications classes.

Last week the classes ended for the term and it was time for the students to evaluate my teaching and communication style. I taught three classes and had the 30 students in each class (the maximum allowed for a class)

One of the questions in the class evaluation form was what the students thought of my likability and approachability. Comments in written style were appreciated. It gave me a chance to see what my students thought about me as a person.

It was so interesting to see what people in a confidential survey thought about my personality and communication style. Most of my students loved me and thought I was so nice, approachable and easy to talk to. While a very outspoken minority had some strong things to say about me that were not so nice.

I was the same person to everyone. How could people see the same person so different?

I put this in the relationships board because I thought it would get some conversation going about how people see you and how you can be the same person to two different people, and one person will think you are wonderful and another just terrible!
Quote:
They were asked to evaluate my personality in two different questions.

The first one was: The Instructor was open, friendly and approachable.

The second question was: The Instructor was easy to talk to and communicated well with the students one on one if needed.
You actually TEACH Communications? For ease of reference, I quoted your OP. Note the red, bolded comment. It does not appear to me that you are correctly communicating what the evaluation was about. Was it personality or was it for teaching and communication style? Note the black, bolded comments--you said it was one question about likability and approachability but your response now says it was one of each. Regardless, one or 2 questions hardly seems like a personality evaluation to me. The blue, bolded comments--you were not the same to everyone, otherwise you would have received 100% of the same/similar feedback. There had to be something that made those few students not like you. Maybe they came in late and you made a snarky or funny announcement to the class or maybe you gave them a dirty look/eyeroll? I had professors like that. I also had professors who would make snide remarks when returning test and reports. I also had professors who smiled more at the girls and were abrupt with the guys. Those were my observations in my college experience.

I'm not trying to nit-pick. I'm just having a hard time following along.

How many questions were on the evaluation and how many questions, exactly, were regarding personality?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 PM

172 posts, read 274,470 times
Quote:
If you read my previous posts you see that I am semi retired and work part time as a Community College Instructor and teach Business and Communications classes.

Last week the classes ended for the term and it was time for the students to evaluate my teaching and communication style. I taught three classes and had the 30 students in each class (the maximum allowed for a class)

One of the questions in the class evaluation form was what the students thought of my likability and approachability. Comments in written style were appreciated. It gave me a chance to see what my students thought about me as a person.

It was so interesting to see what people in a confidential survey thought about my personality and communication style. Most of my students loved me and thought I was so nice, approachable and easy to talk to. While a very outspoken minority had some strong things to say about me that were not so nice.

I was the same person to everyone. How could people see the same person so different?

I put this in the relationships board because I thought it would get some conversation going about how people see you and how you can be the same person to two different people, and one person will think you are wonderful and another just terrible!
It could be a number of things. Maybe the student didn't like his grades or was racist or biased in some way, or was just having personal problems or in a bad mood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships