Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:01 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,934,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Personality, rather inter-personal skills, questions are common for teacher evaluations at all levels.

One of mine is, "Makes students feel welcome to the learning delivery area". Another is, "Shows proper empathy". Those are on the evaluations done by the Principal.

The wording in the student survey is on the order of, "The Instructor makes me feel welcome to the learning delivery area" and "The Instructor is empathetic to my individual problems".
"Learning delivery area" sounds awfully awkward. I suppose you use that phrasing because the area in question could be a laboratory rather than a classroom, but even just excluding the word "delivery" might be helpful. Unless of course you mean to assess people in charge of training at FedEx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,352,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
90% liked me and said nice things about my personality and approachability but 10% were extremely harsh and said just terrible things about me.

But they told me at the CC Office that is to be expected and actually I did very well.
Congratulations. Seems like teaching is your forte. If you're still looking for other PT employment, are there other teaching opportunities for you?

90% positive is very much an achievement! Well done...

Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Really good college teachers get 100% good ratings, or at least 99%. And it's not because we have great personalities. We just know how to treat students and we actually try for that 100% and don't think 90 is good enough and don't think it's beyond our control. Many semesters I hit the 100% positive, some semesters I get a small percentage of minor criticisms, but it's been 10 years since I've gotten a seriously negative evaluation from any student.
What an interesting perspective. So what you are saying that if I were any good, 99-100% of my students would like me as a person and rate the class and my instruction as good. I have never met a teacher or individual that everyone likes. Has anyone else?

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 06-09-2014 at 06:07 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,863 times
We see the world as we are .

Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
What an interesting perspective. So what you are saying that if I were any good, 99-100% of my students would like me as a person and rate the class and my instruction as good. I have never met a teacher or individual that everyone likes. Has anyone else?
See my earlier post - I pointed out that even though the question seems to ask about your personality, that's not really what the students are responding to. And negative reviews don't mean you have a bad personality, just that the class failed to meet some needs of some students. This is why 100% is possible - because you cannot perfect a personality, but you can perfect a class. You may not get 100%, but one mark of a bad teacher is that outspoken minority - it's one thing to have some mild criticisms, but another to have 10% absolutely loathe you and your class. If that's the case, you can fix that. But rookie teachers often just decide it's not their fault and don't make any effort to figure out how.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
See my earlier post - I pointed out that even though the question seems to ask about your personality, that's not really what the students are responding to. And negative reviews don't mean you have a bad personality, just that the class failed to meet some needs of some students. This is why 100% is possible - because you cannot perfect a personality, but you can perfect a class. You may not get 100%, but one mark of a bad teacher is that outspoken minority - it's one thing to have some mild criticisms, but another to have 10% absolutely loathe you and your class. If that's the case, you can fix that. But rookie teachers often just decide it's not their fault and don't make any effort to figure out how.
Most politicians, actors, musicians and television personalities are loved or hated. To get nearly everyone to like them would allow few people to love them or get excited to see them. To be really effective as a performer (which is what a teacher is basically among other things), you have to have a personality that people react to strongly which will cause a share of people who think negatively about you. Someone who nearly everyone likes is usually bland and very unforgettable in their personality and presentation.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Most politicians, actors, musicians and television personalities are loved or hated. To get nearly everyone to like them would allow few people to love them or get excited to see them. To be really effective as a performer (which is what a teacher is basically among other things), you have to have a personality that people react to strongly which will cause a share of people who think negatively about you. Someone who nearly everyone likes is usually bland and very unforgettable in their personality and presentation.
Your students weren't asked to evaluate your personality. They were asked (according to you) to evaluate your, "teaching and communication style" and what they thought of your "likability and approachability" in that context.

Why did you not post this on the education forum so that other teachers could respond? That would seem far more logical.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Very misleading on his part to use the term "personality" in the title as this was not what they were asked to rate at all. Amongst many other questions, they were allegedly asked to evaluate his, "teaching and communication style" which isn't even close to an evaluation of personality. Doh.
I also find it rather ironic that someone who teaches communication actually used the incorrect word in the title of the thread. The students were asked to evaluate him as a teacher, not his personality.

Maybe the 10% who didn't like him have C-D accounts and read his threads

Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I also find it rather ironic that someone who teaches communication actually used the incorrect word in the title of the thread. The students were asked to evaluate him as a teacher, not his personality.

Maybe the 10% who didn't like him have C-D accounts and read his threads
They were asked to evaluate my personality in two different questions.

The first one was: The Instructor was open, friendly and approachable.

The second question was: The Instructor was easy to talk to and communicated well with the students one on one if needed.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
They were asked to evaluate my personality in two different questions.

The first one was: The Instructor was open, friendly and approachable.

The second question was: The Instructor was easy to talk to and communicated well with the students one on one if needed.
What don't you understand about "in context"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships