Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times

Advertisements

We don't get one and we don't give one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
When my husband and I were younger, we'd have been just thrilled with well an offer to babysit, but it doesn't appear that the couple in question has reached that stage yet. Perhaps you could keep it in mind for the future?

Last edited by randomparent; 06-11-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,365 times
We've been married five years this year, and my parents send us a card with a "little happy" in it -- sometimes some cash with instructions to go have a drink someplace before our anniversary dinner, sometimes a gift card to a restaurant, whatever. It's never anything extravagant but always just an appreciated fun little thing.

My husband's parents, however, don't send us anything -- which is fine, too. We don't feel slighted -- that's just how they are, and they've done plenty for us in lots of other ways.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 AM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
Perspective from a married couple: neither sets of parents gives us any sort of anniversary present and I never would have expected anything of the sort.

My father thoughtfully remembers every year and either sends a note or good wishes by phone and I think he's the only one. I appreciate it (hell it helps remind me!), but I don't feel like anyone but my wife and I should even remember the date much less commemorate the marriage. it's between the couple unless there's a big milestone (25 years, 50 years, etc).

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
While weddings are family affairs, I feel that anniversaries are "couple affairs", to be celebrated between the two of them. No gifts except what they give each other.

yes, nicely put!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
While weddings are family affairs, I feel that anniversaries are "couple affairs", to be celebrated between the two of them. No gifts except what they give each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWILLY View Post
Perspective from a married couple: neither sets of parents gives us any sort of anniversary present and I never would have expected anything of the sort.
I agree with these posts^^.

I usually get a text or FB shout out from my parents and sister on our anniversary. I think it's nice that we get that simple acknowledgement because I don't expect my wedding anniversary to be special to anyone but my husband and I.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Yes...I send a card and a gift for all anniversaries. Life is too short not to celebrate all happy moments.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
i think anniversaries are for the couple to celebrate, but if others mention it and pass along good wishes, that's ok too. I either send cards to my two married daughters and their spouses, or post congratulations on Facebook. They are accustomed to communicating on Facebook so they like,this.

A little funny story....my parents have been married for over 60 years. Each year my mom puts the same cute little card on the bedroom dresser as a reminder to my dad, and then
puts it back in the drawer until next year.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:12 AM

112 posts, read 300,996 times
I have always thought anniversaries were just for the couple involved. I've never felt inclined to give a gift to others on their anniversary (outside of well wishes and maybe a card) and never expected anything for mine! However, I've had a few people send me gifts - my mom, an aunt, a family friend. My in laws usually send a card. Otherwise it's just well wishes, which is really more than enough IMO.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
I agree.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My mother has made us dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships