Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 AM

613 posts, read 991,339 times

Advertisements

If your child(ren)'s friend has a pool, know that the pool owner WANTS your kids to swim with their kids. It's a lot more fun for everyone! But it can quickly become burdensome for the pool owner, so here is a list of DO's and DONT's to make it more likely your kids will be invited to swim again:

1. DO check with the pool owner first to be sure your kids are invited, even if your childrens friend said it was ok, and ask what time should you pick your kids up. This let's the pool owner know you don't expect someone to watch your children for hours on end.

2. DON'T send your kids to the pool owners house with suits on ready to swim unless they have been specifically invited. See #1 above.

3. DO send your child with a towel. You can't assume the pool owner has extra and besides, this creates more laundry for the PO

4. DO send your kids with sunscreen already applied! The PO doesn't want to Sunscreen your kids and besides, sunscreen is expensive!

5. DO Supply your child with a pair of goggles. Chances are the PO doesn't have extra and your kids WILL tell the PO 20 times or more that they need goggles!

6. DO Inform the PO if your child can not swim BEFORE you send them over! In all liklihood the PO is NOT a lifeguard or swim instructor. Respect the PO rules for non swimmers which may include a life jacket, a parent be present or that the child will not be allowed to swim at all

7. DO Have your kids use the bathroom BEFORE you send them to reduce the likelihood of your kids needing to traipse through the house sopping wet.

8. DO Send your kids with a drink and snack. You don't want the lifeguard to leave her post while she gets hungry child something to eat, do you?

9. DON'T assume your child's siblings are invited as well. Chances are they are not or the PO would have informed you of thatfact.

10. DO remember that when you kids come to swim, the PO is supervising your kids for HOURS! It is not the same as your kids having a friend over your house. The PO must sit beside the pool the entire time, neglecting many house chores and unable to evenuse the bathroom without getting all the kids ou of the poo. A little appreciation goes a long way: a thank you every once in awhile, an offer to take the PO kids for a period of time, an offer to watch the kds in the pool while the PO gets some housework done!

DO make your kds understand that we are NOT in the pool eery day the sun shines and be sure they do not ask the PO child over and over what time arethey going in the pool. Chances are the PO is busy washing all the towels your kids used, mopping the floor after your kids repeated trips to the bathroom and fridge and out buying more sunscreen!

9. If one of your children is invited to swim, this doe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,093 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...ool-rules.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/998318-backyard-pool-rules.html

Didn't we just go over all this recently?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
Having been a kid with a pool (granted we where older when we got the pool) I have to say I agree with some rules and I don't agree with others.

I don't think parents should be required to send a snack to someone else's house. I mean yeah it would be nice. But we always had pretzels and stuff out by the pool. Or another thing was fun we would have everyone bring something to share and have a little lunch.

Also we had A MILLION towels. I don't think anyone ever brought a towel because we had so many. SO many infact that we never ran out ever even if half where being washed.

And no bathroom breaks? They are kids! Have them pee behind the fence if you really want them to not go into the house. We where lucky enough to have a bathroom near our side door. Just make them dry off before they go in the house.

Swimming is supposed to be fun!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
I can't imagine not giving a snack to a child who is invited to my house. Ever. For any reason. Is being a gracious host(ess) out of fashion these days? When someone visits your house you offer them a drink and a snack.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
I agree on the snack thing. Putting some pretzels in a bowl outside before any kids show up would be nice, and a simple pitcher with iced water.

Anyway, is it safe to assume that none of your signs worked? I think I recall you mentioning that you were putting up a sign for the kids who would just randomly show up..

Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,908 times
Tell them that sitting in a WET swimsuit on owner's upholstered or wood furniture is a big NO-NO. It takes forever to take that dampness out and gives the next guest who sits on that chair an unpleasant surprise.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,414 times
Dang....it sounds like your life would be easier if you just didn't invite kids over to your house.

Quote:
7. DO Have your kids use the bathroom BEFORE you send them to reduce the likelihood of your kids needing to traipse through the house sopping wet.

8. DO Send your kids with a drink and snack. You don't want the lifeguard to leave her post while she gets hungry child something to eat, do you?
Are you serious? Even a kid who has gone to the bathroom first might have to use the bathroom again...especially after being in the water. If you are going to invite kids over to use the pool you ought to have facilities available to accommodate them given you KNOW they will be wet. Put down a couple of extra towels or make sure everyone dries off before going in the house.

Send a snack and a drink, seriously? First, requesting the kids bring their own drink and then complaining the kids have to use your bathroom....would you rather them just go in the pool? Second, when you invite someone to your house you should either provide refreshments or end the event early enough to ensure kids won't need to eat. Kids eat often, more so when they are active and playing and using up energy swimming. You could plan for a snack time and have the snacks outside already so you don't need to run in and out to the fridge. Juice/water, pretzels and apple slices...how hard is that?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Dang....it sounds like your life would be easier if you just didn't invite kids over to your house.

Are you serious? Even a kid who has gone to the bathroom first might have to use the bathroom again...especially after being in the water. If you are going to invite kids over to use the pool you ought to have facilities available to accommodate them given you KNOW they will be wet. Put down a couple of extra towels or make sure everyone dries off before going in the house.

Send a snack and a drink, seriously? First, requesting the kids bring their own drink and then complaining the kids have to use your bathroom....would you rather them just go in the pool? Second, when you invite someone to your house you should either provide refreshments or end the event early enough to ensure kids won't need to eat. Kids eat often, more so when they are active and playing and using up energy swimming. You could plan for a snack time and have the snacks outside already so you don't need to run in and out to the fridge. Juice/water, pretzels and apple slices...how hard is that?
Agree - if it is too much then don't have people over. I don't have a pool but I have a teenage son at home and we have boys over at our house all the time - I always have the fridge in the garage stocked with Gatorade, Vitamin Water, Propel, Kool-aid, whatever. Also have bags of pretzels and a bowl of fruit....I know that my son eats at his friends homes also....

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Agree - if it is too much then don't have people over. I don't have a pool but I have a teenage son at home and we have boys over at our house all the time - I always have the fridge in the garage stocked with Gatorade, Vitamin Water, Propel, Kool-aid, whatever. Also have bags of pretzels and a bowl of fruit....I know that my son eats at his friends homes also....
We have a dorm sized fridge in your garage with all the same things for the pool.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Why are there two threads on this very subject, by the same member? Talk about beating a dead horse.

I do agree with several of the rules, but the snack part is ridiculous. I wouldn't invite children over not to provide snacks and drinks. And that's silly about the bathroom, too. And frankly, unless I know the pool owner extremely well, I wouldn't let my child swim at someone else's house, unless he/she was a teenager and an accomplished swimmer. You just never know who if anyone is really watching your child in a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting