Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just give my broke family members the money they need and attempt to buy my way back into their good graces? I am so tired of being cut off and being told I am cheap.
No, it wouldn't be easier! What would be is to just say no and hang up the phone. By saying that you would "think about it" you gave her a reason to keep calling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
No, it wouldn't be easier! What would be is to just say no and hang up the phone. By saying that you would "think about it" you gave her a reason to keep calling you.
I don't agree with abruptly saying "no" and hanging up the phone as the same message can be delivered without being rude or reacting childishly but, yes, giving a shred of hope and then not returning subsequent phone calls is simply creating unnecessary drama. And maybe that's what the OP thrives upon.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Why would they ask you for money? Aren't you broke and haven't worked for years? Just tell them that!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why would they ask you for money? Aren't you broke and haven't worked for years? Just tell them that!
I have quite a bit of money saved up from when I was working but live a very conservative lifestyle and am tight with my money so if I can't get a full time job, I will survive.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
[quote=I'm Retired Now;35202280]I asked her if she had any credit cards and she said yes. I said why don't you write yourself a credit card convenience check? Or go to an ATM and get a cash advance.

Use of Credit Card Convenience Checks | eHow

I sent her this link in an email and never got a reply.

Wouldn't that be a better route than having a brother you have no relationship with lend you money?[/quote]

I certainly think so! The thing of it is, doing it "your way", would mean that she is legally responsible for satisfying the debt. Doing it "her way" would mean that she is "ethically" responsible for repaying the loan....um, much like the sister who borrowed $5,000. We see how that worked out.

I'm sorry, maybe I sound like a selfish hag, but there's no way in heck I'd attempt to buy someone's love. Furthermore, I wouldn't hand over my hard-earned money to people who don't bother to speak to me until they want something from me. They see you as money....nothing else, clearly. They clearly do not see you as someone that they want to have a relationship with and as others have pointed out, you don't even LIKE or RESPECT these people.

Move on with your life. Create a family of people whom you respect and have things in common with. Familial ties do not always mean that you're going to be personally compatable. Familial ties also do not mean that you are required to be financially responsible for irresponsible adults, either. Sometimes, the best thing you can do for others is be an example and be strong enough to not carry someone who needs to learn to walk on their own two feet!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
I have quite a bit of money saved up from when I was working but live a very conservative lifestyle and am tight with my money so if I can't get a full time job, I will survive.
How are your (supposed) trips to Europe part of a conservative lifestyle?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Since you've described this contact as a means to manipulate you into giving her money....Just say, No. You sent a link to suggest another option....That was enough. Even giving time to considering it, which was simply misleading on your part....is negative reinforcement. When you do that, the person will continue to only contact you for money. Next time this happens....and you sense the conversation is going "there" make up an abrupt reason to get off of the phone...."OMG, my dog got out the front door".....Click. Do not call them back. You have got to take control of this routine from the get....You know this song and dance, just nip it in the bud....Abrupt, no room for wavering, on your part or the relative on the line. Do that each time....You got nothing to lose.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How are your (supposed) trips to Europe part of a conservative lifestyle?
LOL....OP...Another relative?

Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm sure she will appreciate your assistance in finding alternatives but then again you could save all this drama with a sister you haven't talked to in over a year by simply saying no without fluffing around telling her you'll "think about it" when your decision was likely quite clear in your own mind from the start.

I might think differently if you were a few decades younger but (and although there are times when I'm surprised) I don't think it's unrealistic to assume that by the time one reaches one's 60s one has developed sufficient maturity to deal with such things simply and firmly. And particularly since this is nothing new for you.
Exactly! OP, you've got to learn to say NO, not some wishy washy "I'll think about it'. You're just prolonging the situation that way.

You don't owe your sister anything and you're not going to buy her love by giving her the money. If anything, she's going to feel resentment towards you by dragging this out longer instead of just being upfront with her and saying no the first time she asked.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:

My older sister was given a $5000 loan a couple of years ago, and never paid me back after the first payment. And then had the nerve to ask me for another loan. When I rejected her I was cut off from the family- and my elderly parents, until this phone call.
Well, there's your out!

"As soon as I get full payment from <older sister's name>, I can lend some to you. I only do one loan at a time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships