Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have a lot of platonic female friends, so I fully believe that men and women can just be friends. However, if you have ANY romantic interest in someone of the opposite sex and they ain't having it, do not put yourself through the torture of taking the "consolation prize" of JUST being their friend. Just break all contact with them.
I agree completely. If you've got it bad for someone and they don't have any of the same feelings toward you, you probably shouldn't hang around them, it would be uncomfortable for both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree completely. If you've got it bad for someone and they don't have any of the same feelings toward you, you probably shouldn't hang around them, it would be uncomfortable for both parties.
Yeah...

Especially when the other person is in a relationship with someone else.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 PM

106 posts, read 116,842 times
Had this debate with a much younger friend (young enough to be my daughter)...I told her based on my own experiences that it was not really possible, because the "crossing the line" always comes up and men are just "wired differently"! (I found it fascinating when Chaz Bono discussed and sympathized with men when she began Testosterone therapy how much sexual thought etc. came with it).

And when I would see that inevitably these so called friends making comments rife with innuendo or outright come-ons on her Facebook posts I knew, she knew I had been proven right!

In reflecting back on male friends I've had, inevitably either they would cross the line (thus making further interaction uncomfortable or LOL we would be friends with benefits until they or I moved on).

A few fell out of my life when they married (I totally understand that...I wouldn't want a SO being best buds with another woman either).

So in summary, "No"...men and women cannot really just be friends!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmg63 View Post
I told her based on my own experiences that it was not really possible
And based on the experience of many other people - it is perfectly possible and even easily attainable.

This is what we get when we put anecdote and personal opinion up against other anecdote and personal opinion.

Question is - is there any reason to think it is not possible aside from you over extrapolating personal experience into a baseless generalisation?

Quote:
So in summary, "No"...men and women cannot really just be friends!
That is not a summary so much as a re-statement of your initial outright assertion.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
Yes. I am just friends with a man at work and a man from grad school. None of us are in any way attracted to each other that I know of. We've been friends for years and it has not caused any issues.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And based on the experience of many other people - it is perfectly possible and even easily attainable.

This is what we get when we put anecdote and personal opinion up against other anecdote and personal opinion.

Question is - is there any reason to think it is not possible aside from you over extrapolating personal experience into a baseless generalisation?

That is not a summary so much as a re-statement of your initial outright assertion.
True this is everyone here expressing their own personal experiences...however I have observed this for other people in my social circles and various family members as well. YMMV

Old 06-18-2014, 12:23 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
YES they really can. I have some women friends who are DAMN attractive physically and they feel I'm attractive as well but there's no sexual attraction or chemistry between whatsoever. We're COMPLETELY platonic in everything we do and we don't even think of anything sexual or romantic with each other. I don't know why this question is still asked to be honest and I feel the people who ask this question usually have an ulterior motive to "befriending" the opposite sex.

I can't imagine my life without having some lady friends. If all my friends were guys and the only girls I had were girls I was romantically involved in, it would be quite lame. Women tend to just give different dynamics in relationships even if they are just "one of the boys". Plus, if you have attractive lady friends it tends to have some perks in your social life.

So YES men and women absolutely can just be friends. Its like saying men and women can't be brother and sister, or cousins or any other relation. Though I know that's a different topic but still.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
I honestly avoid having female friends. Too much drama and as someone who has a very high sex drive the sexuality is a distraction in itself. I stick with hookers.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:28 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
True this is everyone here expressing their own personal experiences...however I have observed this for other people in my social circles and various family members as well. YMMV
So what? You have 5 anecdotes instead of 3? 7 instead of 5? 20 instead of 15? You are still trotting out personal anecdote - possible made up - to support a contention that is otherwise baseless. A contention that goes against just as many anecdotes against it as for it.

Which - as I asked already - leaves me asking you once again whether you have any basis whatsoever for the seemingly spurious nonsense claim that men and women can not just be friends?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
So what? You have 5 anecdotes instead of 3? 7 instead of 5? 20 instead of 15? You are still trotting out personal anecdote - possible made up - to support a contention that is otherwise baseless. A contention that goes against just as many anecdotes against it as for it.

Which - as I asked already - leaves me asking you once again whether you have any basis whatsoever for the seemingly spurious nonsense claim that men and women can not just be friends?
Hmm! So you keep asking just me when others on this thread have expressed my point of view as well so first let me elaborate for myself....I've worked in 3 fast food restaurants, an automotive parts and service store, and an office for an air conditioning service company, before becoming first a secondary teacher and now elementary school librarian. (I'm 50).

What happened with the various guys I knew was either we would start off as friends and then they would "go there" and the friendship would either end, or continue (for a bit) but there would be an awkwardness or I would feel the same attraction and we'd date (but ultimately it wouldn't work out) and I then I wouldn't have their friendship anymore!

For some the friendship also died out when they got married....I understand...when I was married my husband didn't want me being friends with men either!

Now when I did a google search using the title thread as my search question these articles came up first and support my opinion!

Can Men and Women Be "Just Friends"? | Psychology Today

Can Men and Women Just Be Friends? EHarmony

Men and Women Can't Be "Just Friends" - Scientific American

Can Men Really Be Just Friends with Women?: The Q: GQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships