Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

If that was everything that went wrong with your day - count your blessings.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I am totally enchanted a la Monty Python skits to know that someone deems this worthy of a new thread on an internet forum.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I managed to get to the fourth floor from the first, so I obviously pressed something to put the elevator into motion.
You didn't press ANY button! The elevator was put into motion as the guy on the 4th floor summoned it by actually pushing a button. This is how elevators work.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM

If the guy were actually trying to screw with you, he could have pressed both the up and down button on the elevator summon. THEN when it stopped on that floor, he could have gotten in and pressed the "5" button once to cancel out your up trip. That is something you can do when someone jumps on and presses the button for every floor. you press them again to cancel it. THEN he pressed the 1 button to get downstairs. That seems like an awful lot of planning on his part to ruin your day, but I'm guessing that's exactly what happened.

This type of behavior is deplorable and I'd advise you to get the security footage from the elevator camera to let police and media know that this menace is on the loose. Stand up for others please! Don't be a victim again.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 AM

179 posts, read 248,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I managed to get to the fourth floor from the first, so I obviously pressed something to put the elevator into motion.
maybe not, maybe he called the elevator from the 4th floor. If your push for 5 had been made then you would have been in an up car, that wouldn't have even stopped for his down call on 4 until it delivered you to 5, then returned to 4 for hi, (unless another car already went.

I'm guessing eiher you didn't fully push the button, and it just so happened that the other persons call made it more, or there's something seriously wrong with the elevator - either way it isn't the other persons fault, so I'd "feel" perplexed at worst, if I had any feelings at all on the matter.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
First * World * Problem

Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I am totally enchanted a la Monty Python skits to know that someone deems this worthy of a new thread on an internet forum.
Seriously! If this is actually for real, I wonder how people like this get through life.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
If the guy were actually trying to screw with you, he could have pressed both the up and down button on the elevator summon. THEN when it stopped on that floor, he could have gotten in and pressed the "5" button once to cancel out your up trip. That is something you can do when someone jumps on and presses the button for every floor. you press them again to cancel it. THEN he pressed the 1 button to get downstairs. That seems like an awful lot of planning on his part to ruin your day, but I'm guessing that's exactly what happened.

This type of behavior is deplorable and I'd advise you to get the security footage from the elevator camera to let police and media know that this menace is on the loose. Stand up for others please! Don't be a victim again.
Ive never seen a floor cancel out as you describe. I have seen plenty of people hit a lit up button because they also wanted to go to that floor and the button did not cancel out the trip to that floor.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Seriously! If this is actually for real, I wonder how people like this get through life.
When I read threads like this I usually think that the incident was the "straw that broke the camels back".

Haven't you ever had a day when everything seems to go wrong? You start out stubbing your big toe on the night stand, then you discover that you have ran out of coffee, then your car battery is dead. When you finally get to work, your boss yells at you for being late and then you open your emails to discover some huge work problem. And, on and on all day long.

At the end of this long day some incident, like the elevator problem, happens and it drives you bananas!

It isn't the one incident that is the real problem but it was the "straw that broke the camels back" and you focus on that one incident.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Ive never seen a floor cancel out as you describe. I have seen plenty of people hit a lit up button because they also wanted to go to that floor and the button did not cancel out the trip to that floor.
You might be right! I read it on one of those buzz feed life hack things with 30 tips to better living. Who knows if any of those actually work. I'll try this today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
First * World * Problem
That is so true! I live in a building with an elevator for the first time in my life. The other day it was broken and I had to carry groceries up two flights of stairs and I got angry and then realized what a total $#&@* I am for getting upset! I lived on a 4th floor walk up for two years and it never even phased me after the first few times until a friend came over and complained about all the stairs. We called it the great butt floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships