Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:02 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,474,114 times

Advertisements

My only brother (7 years younger than me) who lives in another state left me a voicemail the other day to tell me that he just got married over the weekend. He had a rocky patch with this woman a while back, and they had split up for a while but then got back together and were trying to work out their differences.

I remember a while ago there was some talk about marriage in the future, but my brother assured me that when that time came, I'd be the first to know. Now here I am hearing about it after the fact.

I guess part of me is feeling hurt since I'm finding out about this after it happened (and we're the only family each other has), but I'm also thinking back to a time when my sister was still alive and she was wondering why my brother was dating someone that didn't seem to have much in common with him. My sister didn't really see this woman as "his type". I also wonder if he's given any thought to the fact that he's going to have to support this woman's daughter and put her through college when he's not really settled into a career and he should be thinking about saving as much as he can for the future.

I know I should call him back to congratulate him, but given the circumstances I'm having a hard time getting up the enthusiasm to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 02:32 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I also wonder if he's given any thought to the fact that he's going to have to support this woman's daughter and put her through college when he's not really settled into a career and he should be thinking about saving as much as he can for the future.

My guess is that he knows you do not like this relationship, and that calling you in advance would do neither of you any good.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,247,231 times
Quote:
I'm also thinking back to a time when my sister was still alive and she was wondering why my brother was dating someone that didn't seem to have much in common with him. My sister didn't really see this woman as "his type".
Did you share the same feelings as your sister? Was there dislike for this woman and was it made evident?

Maybe your brother felt you may not "approve" or be happy for him? At the end of the day, it's his choice who he marries and as long as he's happy. Call him, congratulate him.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:42 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
Quote:
My only brother (7 years younger than me) who lives in another state left me a voicemail the other day to tell me that he just got married over the weekend. He had a rocky patch with this woman a while back, and they had split up for a while but then got back together and were trying to work out their differences.

I remember a while ago there was some talk about marriage in the future, but my brother assured me that when that time came, I'd be the first to know. Now here I am hearing about it after the fact.

I guess part of me is feeling hurt since I'm finding out about this after it happened (and we're the only family each other has), but I'm also thinking back to a time when my sister was still alive and she was wondering why my brother was dating someone that didn't seem to have much in common with him. My sister didn't really see this woman as "his type". I also wonder if he's given any thought to the fact that he's going to have to support this woman's daughter and put her through college when he's not really settled into a career and he should be thinking about saving as much as he can for the future.

I know I should call him back to congratulate him, but given the circumstances I'm having a hard time getting up the enthusiasm to do this.
That's exactly why he didn't call you before. He didn't want to hear that from you even though you have some valid points.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:47 PM

8,155 posts, read 8,370,429 times
Leave him a voicemail wishing him all the best

Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,016,137 times
Quote:

Congratulations with your brother wish him good luck and get over with it. To be honest if I love some one I don't want any body judge about him as "if he is my type" or " seems we got nothing in common" if I love him if he loves me that is all about it. I don't want a man who is my brother's type or my parents type. so take it easy! Send him a recorded voice message "wish you all the best bro"

Old 10-02-2014, 02:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
His choice of a wife isn't subject to your approval. if you care about him, call, or at least send a card. How his life pans out going forward is between him and his spouse.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:27 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,474,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Did you share the same feelings as your sister? Was there dislike for this woman and was it made evident?

Maybe your brother felt you may not "approve" or be happy for him? At the end of the day, it's his choice who he marries and as long as he's happy. Call him, congratulate him.
I've never met my brother's gf, now wife, face to face, so all of my knowledge of her is second hand from what my sister had told me about her. I've only had limited contact with her on Facebook. I don't know whether my sister had voiced her opinions about the woman to my brother directly, or only mentioned them to me.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,247,231 times
Quote:
I've never met my brother's gf, now wife, face to face, so all of my knowledge of her is second hand from what my sister had told me about her. I've only had limited contact with her on Facebook. I don't know whether my sister had voiced her opinions about the woman to my brother directly, or only mentioned them to me.
Oh, ok, thanks. Seems odd then that he didn't call you. Was it one of those, "Hey, let's stop talking about it and just do it" kind of things? I know people who did that--they were on and off or engaged for 6 years or the topic would go back and forth "should we" or "what if we got married"?

I know you're hurt but again, it's about your brother and his happiness. Give him a call

Old 10-02-2014, 04:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,781,344 times
You might consider, that your sister would not have liked any woman your brother chose to be with. She may have set such a high standard for him, it would have been impossible for any woman to meet her criteria as a good wife for your brother.

Even though you may not feel like it now, Call your brother and congratulate him with enthusiasm, and tell him how happy you are for him. He has married, and deserves your blessing. You may never like his wife or feel she is suitable and deserves your brother, BUT, on the other hand you may learn over time she was the absolutly the best choice he could have ever made for a wife.

If you don't make the proper move and congratulate him wit h enthusiasm, you and your only living relative may never have a decent relationship in the future. Don't blow it. Give their marriage a chance, and let him live his life with the woman he has chosen to share it with, and give them your blessing.

Otherwise you may lose your brother, and have no living relatives you can be close to, and in the future not be able to be around those nieces and nephews that may occur. Don't give up the chance for those future children, to have a member of their dad's family they can look up to, love, and admire. Do it for those future children, if not for your brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships