Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 04:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So what's wrong with that? I think most people would rather get told that than be left sitting and waiting.

A) Someone tells you up front I am always late so can we be somewhat flexible with the time say between 9am and 9:30am, or I am not going to make it to the restaurant on time so the rest of you go ahead and enjoy.

B) Be kept waiting and stewing over someone who is 20 minutes late, or losing a reservation at a restaurant or have 5 of the 6 people there and everyone is being held up due to one person.

I choose A.
Really? All I have to say is that you must have huge stretches of free time in your day. For those of us who have deadlines, meetings to attend, children to pick up, and a host of other commitments, someone who blithely strolls in 30 minutes late for lunch or whatever is more than a minor irritant.

And if someone tells you, "Hey, I might be there at 9 or 9:30, I just don't know," what you're really having to do is carve out an even larger chunk of your day to accommodate someone who lacks any consideration for others. Look, I totally get the sentiment. You want to come off as the relaxed, easygoing person. But all you do in that situation is to enable their lack of respect for their time. And that's really what it is. Lack of respect, the belief that their time is more important than that of others.

What's more, the argument I've seen on here that people cannot manage time is just malarky, and people who fall for that argument are just dupes. If I've learned anything, it's that people are indeed on time to the things they take seriously and blow off the things they do not.

I had one employee who was capable in most arena of the job, but she never made it on time to a staff meeting or client meeting. And, let me tell you, the surest way to ruin employee morale in a company is to have one set of rules for one employee and another set of rules for everyone else.

She gave me that same tired excuse, until I threatened to fire her. Guess what? After that, she became the most punctual employee I had, and went on to work several years for me until I sold her and a co-worker the business.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What's more, the argument I've seen on here that people cannot manage time is just malarky, and people who fall for that argument are just dupes. If I've learned anything, it's that people are indeed on time to the things they take seriously and blow off the things they do not.
That is what I have noticed as well, the same people who hold up a holiday dinner with relatives for 2 hours always seem to be on time to the airport when they are taking a vacation.

Quote:

I had one employee who was capable in most arena of the job, but she never made it on time to a staff meeting or client meeting. And, let me tell you, the surest way to ruin employee morale in a company is to have one set of rules for one employee and another set of rules for everyone else.

She gave me that same tired excuse, until I threatened to fire her. Guess what? After that, she became the most punctual employee I had, and went on to work several years for me until I sold her and a co-worker the business.
I used to have a co-worker like that. Always five to ten minutes (and occasionally fifteen minutes) late for work and the principal never really seemed to do anything about it. Sometimes she would be walking in the school just before the students arrived. The really annoying thing was that she lived only a few blocks from work and most people drove 20 to 30 minutes (or longer to work) and everyone else was on time or early.

Finally, the principal started waiting by the door and writing her up every time that she was late. It was amazing! After years and years of being late to work every day (my classroom was right by the door so would see her come in late) she started arriving five to ten minutes early everyday..

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-15-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 05:58 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
Quote:
I just don't agree with this. Basically, what you're doing is announcing to whomever that you will likely be inconveniencing them.
Well that is what is going to happen anyway, and the chronically late person making an appt. knows that at the time. If they were just honest and forthcoming ahead of time, about their chronic lateness, then at least the other person would know.

OP The guy you met recently for an 8 a.m. appt. he showed up at 8:30 a.m. I think you even stated in prev. post that he is a chronically late person - what would you have thought if he said, when making the appt., "I'm usually late so if I'm not there within 10 min. don't wait" Because that's what happened anyway, that's his pattern and you ended waiting 30 min. which is unreasonable. Perhaps if he brought this to your attention when making the appt. you could have made the choice to schedule him where he could tentatively fit in to your schedule.

I think prev. post you mentioned that he sent a text at 8:20 a.m. saying he was on his way. That's the time to get up a leave.

Ten min. is the longest time for anyone to wait.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
ANother thing too... in this day and age with smartphones and what not... it's so easy to contact anyone via call or text or hell send a tweet or a facebook post to my wall if you have to... but there's so many different ways to at least relay the message saying that you may be late!... hell send a snap chat showing you'll be late so I can snap chat my middle finger right back at you!!!!!! hahahaha

Being late is one thing... but have the common courteousy to let people know so you're not leaving them hanging!!
Having the courtesy to let someone know you were going to be late would require consideration. If a person were really considerate, they wouldn't be late in the first place.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Where has it been established that the person who was late in the OP suggested the time? I was actually pretty sure that the OP suggested the time since they were the ones doing the favor and the late person agreed hoping they could make it. People always hope they can overcome things, but sadly it's just not always how things work out.
It doesn't matter who suggested the time. The late-arriver had a responsibility to speak up if he knew a medical condition would keep him from being there on time. Hoping to make it is not enough.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:48 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Actually, the self-centeredness is your refusal to grasp that this thread is not about someone with your alleged condition, but rather those who are incapable of being on time, regardless of the time of day. Okay, now go ahead and gin up a medical reason why someone cannot make it to a 4 p.m. appointment or a 7:30 dinner reservation on time.
Lol @ "alleged condition."

Again, not my choice to title the thread the way that you did. It's crazy how much anger trying to inject a little knowledge brings out in people.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I'm late all the time. It has nothing to do with me being rude. I start getting ready well in advance of when I am due somewhere and something slows me down all the time. It has nothing to do with my inconsiderate. It just is what it is.
The people here who are protesting the most about others being "selfish" appear to have the most self-centered wording and content in their posts. It's too bad that we live in a "me vs. you" culture as opposed to a more tolerant one.

This thread should have been entitled, "Again, to my fellow close minded Narcissists.."

Old 11-15-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:

^ Sounds like this woman had a combination of both time management and motivational issues.

Not to be confused w a circadian rhythm disorder as i can assure you, the woman would not "suddenly" be able to be on time 100%

Old 11-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Lol @ "alleged condition."

Again, not my choice to title the thread the way that you did. It's crazy how much anger trying to inject a little knowledge brings out in people.
Who says I'm angry? I'm actually a pretty laid back guy. And, personally, I'm pretty sure you don't have a medical issue. I think you just ginned up an excuse in life to excuse your ongoing lateness.

Last edited by cpg35223; 11-15-2014 at 09:24 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The people here who are protesting the most about others being "selfish" appear to have the most self-centered wording and content in their posts. It's too bad that we live in a "me vs. you" culture as opposed to a more tolerant one.

This thread should have been entitled, "Again, to my fellow close minded Narcissists.."
If I say, "Hey, I'm glad to help you out and give you advice to get your career jump started. How about 8 a.m.?" and the person in question says, "Sure. That'll work," then I'm the narcissist if I go through the trouble of being there on time and the person who needs my help cannot make it. Do I have that right? Is your world view really that distorted?

Last edited by Jaded; 11-21-2014 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Personal Attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships