Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:01 PM

42 posts, read 55,988 times

Advertisements

State of TX

My dad is a renter in a house in the state of Texas. He allowed my 18 y.o sister to move in with him due to the struggles of San Bernardino. She now has a job in Texas and makes about 1600 a month . The problem started when she told him of her plans to move her girlfriend in with her from Cali for a few weeks. My dad said absolutely not and she became soooo disrespectful to him. He stated that she doesnt pay rent and doesnt even clean. He told her if she did not appreciate him then she can leave his home and live with grandpa across the street. She then stated that she buys groceries and he would have to evict her.

She received mail at his residence from her job. What steps does my Dad have to take if he wants her gone?

Thanks .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 03:04 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Change the locks?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:51 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
If your dad is on a written lease (probably) and the lease is a Texas form (probably), the lease agreement will allow you to bring another person into the apartment, as long as you notify the landlord. If he brought your sister in and did not notify the landlord, he is in violation and both could get evicted. He doesn't need to tell her that very last part (about him being in violation - sounds like she will only try using it against him).

She is coming from a state that recognizes legal occupancy without being on the lease. Texas - you have to be on the lease to be a legal occupant.

If he changes the locks, he needs to notify the landlord and give him a key - he doesn't need to further hurt the relationship between himself and the landlord (I am aware that the landlord probably knows nothing yet about the sister).

Old 11-12-2014, 03:58 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,643,629 times
He must legally evict her. He can't change the locks, he invited her in and allowed her to stay, so he must do a legal eviction. Post a 30 day notice on her BR door. Look up what constitutes a legal eviction in the state he is in and follow the rules. Locking her out is illegal.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:18 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
He must legally evict her. He can't change the locks, he invited her in and allowed her to stay, so he must do a legal eviction. Post a 30 day notice on her BR door. Look up what constitutes a legal eviction in the state he is in and follow the rules. Locking her out is illegal.
This above doesn't apply to Texas.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 PM

698 posts, read 798,579 times
Maybe your Dad could request the Landlord ask her to leave

Old 11-13-2014, 12:53 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixprynce View Post
State of TX

My dad is a renter in a house in the state of Texas. He allowed my 18 y.o sister to move in with him due to the struggles of San Bernardino. She now has a job in Texas and makes about 1600 a month . The problem started when she told him of her plans to move her girlfriend in with her from Cali for a few weeks. My dad said absolutely not and she became soooo disrespectful to him. He stated that she doesnt pay rent and doesnt even clean. He told her if she did not appreciate him then she can leave his home and live with grandpa across the street. She then stated that she buys groceries and he would have to evict her.

She received mail at his residence from her job. What steps does my Dad have to take if he wants her gone?

Thanks .
It's terrible she is behaving like this. It's insane for her to move in a girl friend with her without his blessing. It's his home! He's going to have to be tough here to ramp down the drama of this situation.

Gather up all her things, put them in boxes and put them on the front porch or outside or bring them over to grandpa's. Hopefully grandpa is cool with her living there and make sure he is aware of the girl friend issue too. Tell the landlord you need the locks changed. Contact the local police and tell them she is being kicked out of the residence, so if they get involved your father has a story. Explain that she is 18 years of age and being verbally abusive towards him.

As for her mail, do a change of address form at the local post office and/or send in a change of address into her employer. If she won't tell you where she is living or you don't know, then write "return to sender, no longer at this address" on the postal mail and drop it back in the postal mail. The employer will figure it out and contact her since she works there.

He could consider going with her to professional counseling, but if she isn't agreeable to it, then toss her out.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
This above doesn't apply to Texas.
So is there a correct answer? I thought that was it.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:49 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,014,228 times
I think discuss with landlord would help. But why your sister cannot rent her own place as she earns? may be change the locks while she is out???

Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,123,105 times
Where the father wants his daughter to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships