Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right category, but it seems to be the only one close. Anyway.....

Last night, I again had something happen to me that seems to be becoming a common occurrence. I had dinner at a Mexican restaurant. The "waitress" took my order, but someone else brought my meal and beverage (including refill) to the table. The "waitress" was nowhere to be found until she came by with my check. Then, to add to her already poor service, when I handed her a twenty for a $14 check, she asked if I wanted change!!!!! (I'm going to give her a $6 tip for a $14 meal which she never even checked on????)

Sorry.....but if you ask for a tip, you don't get one.

I usually tip 20% without thinking about it. In this case, I may have tipped less, because she was a terrible server. However, when she asked for a tip, she automatically removed any chance she had of getting one.

I have had people ask for tips as waitresses, delivering food, and at the car wash. Do people really think that this benefits them?????

Has anyone else encountered this?
Hahaha okay I used to think this too, but I just started working at a restaurant and the owner trained me to always ask if the person wants change when they leave cash. Maybe not all restaurants tell their servers this hence the inconsistency but she could have possibly been trained to do that. If the place was busy then that could explain the other person getting you your food, you never know. I mean just don't tip her then, what's the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:38 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
She was not asking for a tip.
She was asking if you wanted change.

Truly.

She punched in ..."Total table 8" and didn't even look at the amount...
it could have been $19. 37 for all she knew...she is thinking about
"Why isn't Table 9's order up?"
The correct thing to say if you are in the service industry is "I'll be right back with your change."

I once had the same thing happen but it was like $20 bill for a $12 meal. I said "Hell mutha fukkin yes I need change."

Old 01-29-2015, 09:11 PM

393 posts, read 306,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
YOU CAN USE ALL THE CAPS YOU WANT IT ISNT GOING TO MAKE ME AGREE WITH YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS.

I'm out
It's not an opinion though, so it's impossible to agree or disagree with a *FACT*. It's a fact it's stealing.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
The correct thing to say if you are in the service industry is "I'll be right back with your change."

I once had the same thing happen but it was like $20 bill for a $12 meal. I said "Hell mutha fukkin yes I need change."
I bet that shut the server up. The nerve of servers to ask for a tip to shorten their workload. They are supposed to come to work to do the **MOST** for their tip money, NOT the LEAST!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Hahaha okay I used to think this too, but I just started working at a restaurant and the owner trained me to always ask if the person wants change when they leave cash. Maybe not all restaurants tell their servers this hence the inconsistency but she could have possibly been trained to do that. If the place was busy then that could explain the other person getting you your food, you never know. I mean just don't tip her then, what's the big deal?
Knowing something is morally wrong and doing it anyway, you are just as bad as the owner or manager is. I wouldn't work for someone like that.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Dave---Tipping aggravates you no end. My suggestion---think of your blood pressure and stay out of tipping threads
You've got to be joking. Springs1 has gotten her second wind! This thread is starting to become surreal. Fresh popcorn here.........and make it snappy if ya want a tip!

Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You've got to be joking. Springs1 has gotten her second wind! This thread is starting to become surreal. Fresh popcorn here.........and make it snappy if ya want a tip!
lol.

In Canada, more particularly in Ontario where I live, I had no idea what servers make. I just looked, and they're classified under "liquor servers". Minimum wage in Ontario is $11 per hour, and liquor servers make $9.55 per hour.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:58 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
to whomever gave me reps and said,
"you were a waitress for 20 years, yeah, well, I wouldn't tell anyone that?"

whats the big deal, yes, I'm older then most of you, so what? I'm proud of my age.....

Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, because you're going to leave a tip, so what is the difference? This is what gets me on this thread, people are treating tipping as a kindness they may or may not bestow on their server. It's not, it's the accepted way we pay for our food service in this country. As soon as you sat at her table, you were agreeing to a social contract that she had no reason to assume wouldn't be honored. If you don't want to abide by it you should take it out on the owners, not the servers. People take it out on the servers because they feel they have power over them, and they can do it without consequence.

Do those of you who don't believe a server deserves to be paid for doing her job also refuse to tip your hairdressers, nail person, etc? I bet not, but because you won't see the server again people treat them like crap.

I lasted one day as a server and never went back, it's an awful job where people treat you like Naomi Campbell treats her assistants, and IMO they deserve every cent they get.
What?

Tipping is earned. This attitude may explain why so many sorry servers expect a tip for doing the absolute least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
I tip 20-30%. If I only get a drink, then still the same. I see far too many servers feeling entitled to big bucks for providing such a basic service. Get an education or a different job if you have a problem with your wages. It's hilarious because these servers complaining were making 20-30 an hour or more, while I was doing a much more mentally stressful job for 8.50 an hour and no tip. I didn't whine about it all of the time either.
Agreed.

What a cluster this thread turned out to be. From the schitzo who posts in caps and astericks to the people who feel that tipping should be automatic, this is several pages longer than it should be.

Yes, the question "Do you want change" is rude. Let the customer say, "Keep the change" - do not put them on the spot.

I had a pizza delivered and someone else was paying. The person asked if I wanted change. I said yes, and this girl actually rolled her eyes and said, "You know delivery people don't make much money". As if that were my problem.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:18 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What?

Tipping is earned. This attitude may explain why so many sorry servers expect a tip for doing the absolute least.

Agreed.

What a cluster this thread turned out to be. From the schitzo who posts in caps and astericks to the people who feel that tipping should be automatic, this is several pages longer than it should be.

Yes, the question "Do you want change" is rude. Let the customer say, "Keep the change" - do not put them on the spot.

I had a pizza delivered and someone else was paying. The person asked if I wanted change. I said yes, and this girl actually rolled her eyes and said, "You know delivery people don't make much money". As if that were my problem.
Did you tip the pizza delivery person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships