Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:03 PM

862 posts, read 1,198,286 times

Advertisements

About a year ago in Aurora, Colorado a group of us were at Target one night. As we were leaving a car had ran a stop sign and had almost hit us. Inside that car were a young couple, male and female around 20 years old or so. When the couple in the car flipped us off the driver of our car pulled up next to them and asked what was their problem. The couple reeked of marijuana smoke. Of course it was the usual stuff, lots of "F" words, etc..especially when the driver of our car told them that they shouldn't be smoking pot while driving. They didn't like that at all.

As all of this was going on I was on my cell phone talking to a family member however the girl in the other car saw me and for some reason had thought I was filming her for You Tube. WTF ?? Anyway she jumps out of her car and tries to get into our car to take my phone while screaming "HOW F**KING DARE YOU !! IF YOU PUT ME ON YOU TUBE I WILL SUE YOU !! I AM AN INTERN AT *******, F**** YOU...I WAN"T THAT ****DAMN PHONE..NOW !!! When I wouldn't give her the phone she started to hit herself in the face, calling herself all of these dirty names. When she took her fist and punched herself in the nose so hard her nose bled the male driver of her car jumps up gets out of the car grabs her and throws her back into their car while she was screaming about You Tube and how I had "filmed" her. They drove away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:18 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
When I was about 19, I had some guy follow me to work and get out of his car and cussed me out. He was an older man as well. Probably in his late 60s? I used to work at a nursing home & some of the residents were outside waiting for the van to take to them to their appointment. I think he didnt do anything since there were witnesses.

I honestly dont know what I may have done to cause him to cut me off. I used to drive like a grandma back then so that might be it
Last year some guy followed me, even as I tried to shake him off after I noticed he was following me. We eventually got to a big intersection, and ended up in two different lanes, waiting for the iight. He was several car-lengths ahead of me, but I saw him actually get out of his car! He was going to come and chew me out, but thought better of it in front of all those cars. When the light changed and he made a turn, I was able to go in a different direction, to lose him. It's really weird what people will do.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:21 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Yes and I was arrested as the cop only saw when I retaliated. Cost me quite a bit of time and money to get out of it. I learned a great lesson.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,550,605 times
The one that stands out the most for me is a few years ago I was behind a car at a stop sign. The car ahead was trying to make a right and had ample opportunities to do so. After waiting what felt like several minutes, I tapped my horn once.

Immediately, the woman driver of the car got out and came back to my car. I noticed she had a baby in the backseat of her car. I had my (tinted) window rolled up, door locked, and just kept staring straight ahead. She was yelling and screaming, in the middle of the street, to get me to roll down the window.

I can't remember if I reached for my cell phone and pretended to dial or not, but eventually she went back to her car and drove off. It was scary.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
I inadvertently caused road rage. I was sitting in a long line of cars during rush hour, and a woman was trying to make a left turn out of the side street. I left a space, and gave her a wave to let her know I was going to let her out. I didn't expect her to pull out without looking to the right for oncoming traffic, but she did. The approaching car just missed her, and the driver stopped, and started swearing up a storm. My son was in the car with me, and he immediately recognized her as his 5th grade teacher. The look on her face when she him was unforgettable, lol.

I don't get drawn into conflicts on the road. I leave plenty of room between me and the next guy, and on the highway I always watch the drivers around me. I let people merge. Life's too short to fight over a spot on the road.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
How did he get out on bail for murder?!
I got a few details mixed up as this happened several years ago, but here's the link.
Road Rage Leads to Shooting, Suicide - ABC News

Apparently there was two weeks between the shooting and the suicide. The shooter was claiming self-defense, so he was out on bail, or else still under investigation, until the trial which, of course, never happened. Just so tragic for both families.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I may have written about his in another thread. But once years ago I was followed on a major road in St. Louis County as I drove home late in the evening. I had to make a stop at a store on the way, so I pulled into the parking lot and got out of my car. A commercial van with a roofing company's name on it pulled up and a guy got out of the van and began to ball me out about my driving. I have no idea what he was on about, but I figured out pretty quickly that he had been drinking.

I stood my ground in the parking lot, which was lighted, with cars all around, and I told him to go home and sleep it off. I told him twice, I think. I stayed looking at him until he got into his van, because I was concerned that he would key my car if I turned away and went inside the store. He was all bluster I think, and I also feel he was going on because I was female and he felt like bullying a female.

At any rate when he got into his van, I went inside.

A couple of months or so later, I pulled carefully into a crowded strip store parking lot to pick up a to go coffee before going to work in the morning. I distinctly remember being careful. The same van with the name of a roofing company on it, almost backed out and hit me. I braked, and he braked. I think he recognized my car. I just kept going. He had a young boy in the car with him.

I do think that some guys feel entitled to criticize women drivers.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:29 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I inadvertently caused road rage. I was sitting in a long line of cars during rush hour, and a woman was trying to make a left turn out of the side street. I left a space, and gave her a wave to let her know I was going to let her out. I didn't expect her to pull out without looking to the right for oncoming traffic, but she did. The approaching car just missed her, and the driver stopped, and started swearing up a storm. My son was in the car with me, and he immediately recognized her as his 5th grade teacher. The look on her face when she him was unforgettable, lol.

I don't get drawn into conflicts on the road. I leave plenty of room between me and the next guy, and on the highway I always watch the drivers around me. I let people merge. Life's too short to fight over a spot on the road.
I read an article not long ago that calls this the "wave of death." (The article said that the insurance industry calls it this.) You are trying to be polite, and wave someone out who doesn't really have the right of way but you're willing to give it to them. Whether they are a pedestrian or driver.

Unfortunately, you don't check traffic in other lanes, and for some reason the other person doesn't either. All too often they assume that since you're telling them to "go!" they need to just...go! And they do. And another driver who isn't expecting a non-right-of-way-having entity to pop out in front of them, just creams 'em.

So unfortunately, as nice as it is to try and be polite, it is usually not advised by traffic safety experts to allow someone right of way against the general laws and rules of the road. You can't be responsible for what other drivers might do.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,916 times
Another road rage incident I had about a month ago.

I was driving to work in the AM. I go through a route that is next to a two bus stops. One, the city bus the other is greyhound. So it’s usually pretty busy with people walking around. Well this area of town (downtown) people rarely use crosswalks. You’ll see them standing in the middle of the road waiting to dart across when there are no cars. Well last month, I was driving and about to get into another lane. It was a green light for me so as I was about to go a man darted in front of me (not anywhere near the crosswalk this was in the middle of the road). I hit the brakes and he just hit the top of my hood with both his hands & flipped me off. Luckily, no one was behind me because they would’ve hit me. I almost hit this guy!!! I could’ve killed a pedestrian because he was too lazy to wait use the crosswalk that is about 15 feet away from where he ran in front of me. Not sure if this counts as road rage but it still scared me. Sadly, we always hear about accidents in this area of town because people refuse to use crosswalks. All you see if jaywalkers

Old 02-02-2015, 11:55 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
We've had a number of car vs pedestrian accidents here lately. I cringe when I see these people who just run out in front of traffic, not even at a crosswalk. Somebody told them "pedestrians always have the right of way" which is true, sure, but doesn't mean you ought to just run out in front of traffic. Did their mothers not teach them to look both ways?? I've learned to keep a sharp eye on the median and the sides of the road for these people. Last week a group of 4 young black men were trying to cross and two of them ran right in front of me. Luckily I had my eye on them (they were on the median) so I was ready to brake quickly. The other 2 waited for a clear spot in traffic, but they yelled taunts back and forth at each other across the road. Seriously though if I'd been auto-piloting home from work in a mental haze, which can happen after a long day, I might have hit at least one of these guys.

So anyhow. I have the grouchy thought every time I see one (or a group) of these jaywalkers, do they not watch the news?? Do they want to be the next one ON the news for getting mowed down?? Jeez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships