Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,548,159 times

Advertisements

People in my city seem to enjoy crossing the street in poorly lit areas while wearing dark clothing at night.

An older man wearing all black was in a crosswalk the other night, but the lighting in that area was poor. I couldn't see him until I was pretty close. He had his headphones on and didn't even look as my car approached. I know this is the typical defiant stance you see with many pedestrians (headphones on, don't acknowledge the cars), as they know the law is on their side, but I still think its dangerous, especially at night when you are dressed in all black. Yes, the law is on your side, but I personally would not want to take such a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Another road rage incident I had about a month ago.

I was driving to work in the AM. I go through a route that is next to a two bus stops. One, the city bus the other is greyhound. So it’s usually pretty busy with people walking around. Well this area of town (downtown) people rarely use crosswalks. You’ll see them standing in the middle of the road waiting to dart across when there are no cars. Well last month, I was driving and about to get into another lane. It was a green light for me so as I was about to go a man darted in front of me (not anywhere near the crosswalk this was in the middle of the road). I hit the brakes and he just hit the top of my hood with both his hands & flipped me off. Luckily, no one was behind me because they would’ve hit me. I almost hit this guy!!! I could’ve killed a pedestrian because he was too lazy to wait use the crosswalk that is about 15 feet away from where he ran in front of me. Not sure if this counts as road rage but it still scared me. Sadly, we always hear about accidents in this area of town because people refuse to use crosswalks. All you see if jaywalkers
If that happened to me I probably would have blasted my horn and started yelling profanities. Jaywalkers are bad enough but what really irks me is when they think they have the right of way. Actually I hate when anyone is wrong and they think they're right. Either they're ignorant or A holes or both.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Somebody told them "pedestrians always have the right of way" which is true, sure, but doesn't mean you ought to just run out in front of traffic.
Pedestrians don't always have the right of way as far as I know. Only in crosswalks. And at crosswalks where there's a light, only when they have the walk signal. Or am I missing something?

Old 02-02-2015, 05:16 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
oh yes. I had 3 young guys cut me off on purpose, then I got behind them, followed them and wouldnt let up. I must have scared them so much, them being in a little sports car, and me in a huge pick up.......i followed them so long they actually ran right thru a red light in a major intersection and turned the next corner to get away from me. I couldnt do anymore, there was a school bus then........

LOL,

Old 02-02-2015, 05:40 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,847 times
About two months ago, I was involved with a parking lot rage incident. A middle aged woman (driving a luxury car) thought she had her blinker on a ahead of me for a parking spot. I was closer to it, she was way back. We've all been in this situation before, sometimes we get the spot, sometimes we don't. It all evens out in the end.

Anyway, I pulled into the spot. She stops her car behind mine and WAITS for me to get out. As I got out, she started screaming at me about the parking spot, that she had seen it first, she was blinking first, etc etc. I said that I was sorry, but believed that I was closer, and blinked first. She just kept shrieking at me. On that note, I slammed my door shut, and said to her "Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose." and muttered under my breath, and today you lost. She peeled out of there and found another spot, not terribly far from the first disputed spot.

I think she wanted me to back out of the spot which I wasn't going to be intimidated into doing. FYI: We are peers agewise, but I drive a simple, compact car.

Decided she was a nutjob.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:17 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Pedestrians don't always have the right of way as far as I know. Only in crosswalks. And at crosswalks where there's a light, only when they have the walk signal. Or am I missing something?
I think that in a way they do, always.

I was taught that when learning to drive. And the reason they always do, is that if you are ever involved in a car vs. pedestrian accident, the odds are very very high that the driver will be found at fault even if the pedestrian was jaywalking. The burden to prove that you didn't see them, it was dark, you tried to stop, etc. will be on YOU the driver if you hit a person on foot. And odds are also good that they will be seriously injured or killed, even if you're not, so it kind of makes sense that way.

On the other hand, in many places it is illegal to cross without a crosswalk or against a light or whatever and they can be ticketed.

But it doesn't mean you can get away with mowing them down in the street.

If that makes sense?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
Ugh, twice. Scary stuff. First time I was a teenager coming home late from a friends house. The road was deserted. As I am humming along to the radio, enjoying the cool evening when all of a sudden my car lit up with bright light. A car from out no where got on my bumper and lit up the whole car with the headlights. I pulled into the next lane and so did they. I switched lanes again, they did the same. They kept pace with me and I was terrified! Whoever it was wanted to scare me on purpose. I made the mistake of driving faster and faster getting up to speeds of 80 mph which was dumb. I decided to take a freeway entrance at the last moment to get away but due to my lack of driving experience took the curve at 80 mph when the curve was 35 mph. I did a complete donut. I was startled and trying grasp if I was still alive and my car was facing the way I had come. The other car stopped at the freeway entrance for a moment and then took off.

Second time I was 8 months pregnant with my son. My husband and I had just left his sister's house and were traveling down the residential side street with a limit of 25 mph. He and I were talking about our day and what to do next when I saw a flash of yellow in the corner of my eye. That is when my husband yelled out, "what the hell?!!" Some guy in a bright yellow mustang flew up behind us and tried to pass on my side but almost rear ended a parked car. Then he was zig zagging behind us trying to pass on the right and then left but either a parked car was in his way or oncoming traffic. We got to the end of the street and needed to make a left on a busier two lane road. The guy behind us was livid that we existed I suppose so he was flipping out. We had the clear to turn and he turned with us. He drove along side my husband's side of the car screaming profanities and then would weave back when a car was coming in his direction. Then he got on my side which was the shoulder of the road with gravel. Rocks were flying everywhere and I will never forget him. He has crazy red hair and was screaming "YOU FAT **** *****!!!! (you can figure it out). I was just completely stunned and then terrified this lunatic was going to make us crash. Less than a mile down the road he turned into an apt. complex. I have no idea what his hurry was.

The only road rage I ever did myself was one day I was impatient with this car in front of me. The light had turned green and the woman sat there. I beeped my horn. I didn't realize she was a little old woman and I startled her so badly I could see her whole body jump. I could see her terrified face in her mirror. That happened over 25 years ago and I still feel like a dirt bag over it.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that in a way they do, always.

I was taught that when learning to drive. And the reason they always do, is that if you are ever involved in a car vs. pedestrian accident, the odds are very very high that the driver will be found at fault even if the pedestrian was jaywalking. The burden to prove that you didn't see them, it was dark, you tried to stop, etc. will be on YOU the driver if you hit a person on foot. And odds are also good that they will be seriously injured or killed, even if you're not, so it kind of makes sense that way.

On the other hand, in many places it is illegal to cross without a crosswalk or against a light or whatever and they can be ticketed.

But it doesn't mean you can get away with mowing them down in the street.

If that makes sense?
It does make sense and it's what I thought too. We just seem to differ on the meaning of "right of way". If it means you can't intentionally run over someone if they're jaywalking, then yes, pedestrians would always have the "right of way". I'm saying that if you don't see them and they're in a crosswalk, you'd probably/more likely be found liable, if they were jaywalking probably not. But I think most people know they can't intentionally run over a pedestrian just because they're jaywalking, although sometimes I wish I could I still blast my horn and yell at those idiots who make me brake for them when they're jaywalking though. A few words won't hurt them.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:40 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Ugh, twice. Scary stuff. First time I was a teenager coming home late from a friends house. The road was deserted. As I am humming along to the radio, enjoying the cool evening when all of a sudden my car lit up with bright light. A car from out no where got on my bumper and lit up the whole car with the headlights. I pulled into the next lane and so did they. I switched lanes again, they did the same. They kept pace with me and I was terrified! Whoever it was wanted to scare me on purpose. I made the mistake of driving faster and faster getting up to speeds of 80 mph which was dumb. I decided to take a freeway entrance at the last moment to get away but due to my lack of driving experience took the curve at 80 mph when the curve was 35 mph. I did a complete donut. I was startled and trying grasp if I was still alive and my car was facing the way I had come. The other car stopped at the freeway entrance for a moment and then took off.

Second time I was 8 months pregnant with my son. My husband and I had just left his sister's house and were traveling down the residential side street with a limit of 25 mph. He and I were talking about our day and what to do next when I saw a flash of yellow in the corner of my eye. That is when my husband yelled out, "what the hell?!!" Some guy in a bright yellow mustang flew up behind us and tried to pass on my side but almost rear ended a parked car. Then he was zig zagging behind us trying to pass on the right and then left but either a parked car was in his way or oncoming traffic. We got to the end of the street and needed to make a left on a busier two lane road. The guy behind us was livid that we existed I suppose so he was flipping out. We had the clear to turn and he turned with us. He drove along side my husband's side of the car screaming profanities and then would weave back when a car was coming in his direction. Then he got on my side which was the shoulder of the road with gravel. Rocks were flying everywhere and I will never forget him. He has crazy red hair and was screaming "YOU FAT **** *****!!!! (you can figure it out). I was just completely stunned and then terrified this lunatic was going to make us crash. Less than a mile down the road he turned into an apt. complex. I have no idea what his hurry was.

The only road rage I ever did myself was one day I was impatient with this car in front of me. The light had turned green and the woman sat there. I beeped my horn. I didn't realize she was a little old woman and I startled her so badly I could see her whole body jump. I could see her terrified face in her mirror. That happened over 25 years ago and I still feel like a dirt bag over it.
Isn't it incidents like the above that cell phones were made for? Your husband should have called police. Sometimes you can get rid of someone tailgating you and getting hostile by pretending to lift a cell phone to your ear in a very obvious way, so they can see it through the rear window. A driving instructor taught me that trick.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:43 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't it incidents like the above that cell phones were made for? Your husband should have called police. Sometimes you can get rid of someone tailgating you and getting hostile by pretending to lift a cell phone to your ear in a very obvious way, so they can see it through the rear window. A driving instructor taught me that trick.
Depending on when the poster was a teenager, cellphones may not have existed. Road rage isn't a new thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships