Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifus View Post
What a great contribution to this discussion.
At least I answered the OP's question.
You, on the other hand, contributed nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 02:15 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
I wouldn't allow it happen. I would tell them I can't and I have plans. When I want to see someone, I say, "I plan on coming to [insert their city] from [date] to [date]. I would love for us to hang out and catch up."

I cousin that I was close to (we were no longer close anymore) did this to us family. One year, two days before Thanksgiving she called and said, "I'm coming for Thanksgiving." During this time, my depression was getting to me (seasonal affective depression) and I didn't want to be bothered by anyone. I literally stayed in bed 90% of the time. She was very bored.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,662,507 times
I recently lost my Mom. I would give anything for just one more visit.
Work, free time and stuff like that that took priority over friends and family visits looks very different to me in retrospect.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
People treat you the way you let them. Its up to you to make your own boundaries.

Grow a pair.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:06 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
my mother hated for people to just drop by without calling she would always say our house is not presentable , its not clean . Our house growing up was never clean . I am just the opposite I clean my house every other weekend from top to bottom and it drives my husband crazy he says he gets a headache from the smell of bleach . I cant help it im Italian and I love clean . Now my sister took after my mother her house is never clean and it does not seem to bother her husband at all and then I found out why , his sister told me they grew up in a dirty house and their mother was lazy , she barely cooked and when she did dishes stayed in the sink for days no wonder they had roaches ugh !!! They don't seem to mind people dropping by and seeing that either . So No I don't mind people dropping by without calling I enjoy company .

Old 04-18-2015, 04:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That happened to someone that I knew, too. Mom & Dad used to occasionally "pop over" (about a five hour drive) for weekend visits to my friend. My friend was in her 20s and her parents never called first, just came. It was pretty annoying to my friend but her parents kept doing it.

One Friday night, the parents arrived late and no one was home. They waited and waited but their daughter did not show up. Finally they had to get a hotel room. Saturday morning they went back to her place & waited outside and still no daughter. This was before cell phones so they couldn't call her (except on her land line). Finally after waiting around most of Saturday they drove back home (another five hours) instead of being forced to get another hotel room.

It turned out that my friend had decided to take an impromptu weekend trip with some friends and was gone all weekend.

BTW, her parents never just "popped over" again without calling first to make sure that she was home and it was OK to visit.

Let me tell you the best part of that story. I asked her straight up if she was coming for Christmas that next week. She was playing like I can't get time off etc. So I drop the subject. The next time we pick the subject up was when she called that Friday and said surprise I'm in Virginia. I was actually on I-70 W in Ohio just about to arrive in Columbus when I got that call. Wasn't even like I could cancel my plans in OH which I wasn't gonna anyway. That kinda ruined the weekend for me since I felt kinda guilty even though I didn't do a damn thing wrong.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Although, the OP did not say specifically, even if they were not staying at his place, it appeared to me that he was expected to "entertain them" all weekend. To me, that sounds like they are expecting to be with him during the entire day, not just meet them for lunch on Saturday afternoon or something like that.

I know people that actually sleep at hotels but go to the families homes from early morning until late at night. Whether or not that is the case with the OP, we do not know.
Eh, if they weren't staying at his place, then he has a buffer zone. After all, the OP did make it a point to say that he had no input nor was asked for it. He shouldn't put the onus on himself to be responsible for their entertainment.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I think this family need to establish some boundaries. In a recent thread the op complained about using all his vacation time to visit this same family back home. Maybe some family members feel like there is an open door policy among family members, to which his frequent and sometimes long visits home might contribute. There isn't really enough info to go on.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:04 PM

138 posts, read 130,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
My mother, grandmother, and aunt are coming from TN to IN to visit me this weekend. I was in TN two weeks ago, had to work last weekend, and am now having to entertain them.

I really didn't want them to come this weekend as this is the first weekend I've had in a long time where I'm not either traveling, working, or doing something with my girlfriend, but they pretty much decided at the first of the week that they were coming up, and that was that. My input wasn't even asked for.

Do you ever feel like the out of town family just comes when they want with little regard for your input?
Yes my uncle comes from Canada over the ocean and just lands at our house. I wouldn't mind only when we went there he put us in the basement with water beds and we bought all our food.

I made a status on FB about us heading over to NYC this summer and he asked if we were visiting him. Of course my reply was straight out "HA, far chance!!" He probably thought that was rude.. But who cares.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:06 PM

138 posts, read 130,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My mom popped up in Virginia while I was spending the weekend in Ohio a few months ago. Hopefully that taught her a lesson about popcorn visits.
Ha! I bet you laughed and laughed at that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships