Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Never ever ever ask someone if they are pregnant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:24 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I haven't, but my father has It was actually funny and everyone laughed about it long after the fact, but I remember feeling dreadfully embarassed when he first asked.

But, is it a rude question? I don't think so, especially as one is normally asking in order to congratulate a woman. As for pregnancy being a personal thing: please. If you're showing, its not so personal anymore. Once you get to that point where its clear you're pregnant, pregnancy is NOT a personal thing if you choose to walk about outside. Its only personal if you keep to yourself and avoid the public

It's rude because if a woman you asked are not pregnant ... you just called her fat. Not knowingly of course but still.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

But, is it a rude question? I don't think so, especially as one is normally asking in order to congratulate a woman. As for pregnancy being a personal thing: please. If you're showing, its not so personal anymore. Once you get to that point where its clear you're pregnant, pregnancy is NOT a personal thing if you choose to walk about outside. Its only personal if you keep to yourself and avoid the public
Wow, I can not disagree with you more. Your definition of rude and my definition of rude are totally different.

How in the world does being pregnant become everyone else's business just because you leave the house?

You have absolutely no idea about the woman's history or background. You do not know if the woman was sadly waiting for her fetus to die (as with my relative) or perhaps she was a victim of rape or perhaps she is giving the child up for adoption. She may not want to be reminded by strangers that she is pregnant.

If you want to congratulate a woman, please wait until she tells you that she is pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

A dear relative discovered during a routine ultrasound that there might be a problem with her unborn baby. It took almost three weeks of testing to confirm that the fetus had a condition "incomparable with life". Basically, there was a 100% chance that the fetus would die. By this time my relative was six months pregnant and wearing maternity clothes. She told her relatives and close friends the sad news and started grieving for her lost child.

But, every time that a stranger asked "when the baby was due" it was like a knife through her heart because she knew that her child would never be born alive.

She was nine months pregnant when her unborn baby/fetus died.

Even though situations like this are rare, you have absolutely no idea about the private life of woman. That is why you should never comment on a pregnancy unless the woman tells you about it first.

ProspectHeightsResident, did you know that there are some people who actually think that it is OK for absolute strangers to go up to a pregnant woman and touch her body (pat her on the stomach)? Do you think that is OK, too, because the pregnant woman is in public? Sheesh.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 AM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
Well all this touch feeley approach about it be inappropriate is hogwash..If someone packs on the pounds and looks pregnant it's totally reasonable to ask. Someone looks sick don't you ask how they're feeling? Same thing...

Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 AM

576 posts, read 824,213 times
lol I can't believe how touchy some people are being. Like what I said in my original OP, i have been asked by few people if I am pregant when I wasn't and it didn't faze me whatsoever because I knew I had put on weight so it was normal for people to think that.You can't blame people for being curious.

There will always be people who will ask such question.We can't control what other people will say and it doesn't help if you are thin skinned.People are just too senitive sometimes

Old 04-25-2015, 09:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Yes, people have asked me. It is RUDE!

What business is it of yours if i had unprotected sex with my husband/partner? That is personal and if i want you to know, then I will tell you.

Also, as others have stated, the baby might have already been born a few weeks prior (it takes 9 months to carry the baby and about nine months to get back into shape), there might be a miscarriage, or a tumor, or in my case stubborn belly fat.

A woman's body shape IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!! If the person doesn't know you well enough to ask you about your bowel movements and how many times a week you have sex, then you don't know them well enough to ask if they are pregnant. Get over your nosiness.
Not always 9 months to get back in shape...sometimes it takes YEARS!!

Old 04-25-2015, 10:14 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I have had few people ask if I am pregnant when I packed on the pounds last year. I didn't bother me. However, I asked this other lady if she was pregnant at work and she said no. I said sorry she said not to worry about it and other people have asked her as well.

So would you be offended if someone asked you if you are pregnant when you just gained weight?

Yes. Unfortunately, I have. In my 20s. I asked a women when she was due. She was not pregnant and she was not happy. I will never ask anyone again if they are pregnant....Never.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:32 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee18 View Post
I can't believe people even ask this question, because it's such a personal thing. People who ask must be incredibly rude.
Right. Who the hell asks that?!

Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I have only asked someone one time, and it was pretty clear she was pregnant (I was right). Normally I don't ask, but I'm pregnant now too and I thought I recognized a fellow sufferer.

Generally, I don't think it is something you should ask unless you already know the answer.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, I can not disagree with you more. Your definition of rude and my definition of rude are totally different.

How in the world does being pregnant become everyone else's business just because you leave the house?

You have absolutely no idea about the woman's history or background. You do not know if the woman was sadly waiting for her fetus to die (as with my relative) or perhaps she was a victim of rape or perhaps she is giving the child up for adoption. She may not want to be reminded by strangers that she is pregnant.

If you want to congratulate a woman, please wait until she tells you that she is pregnant.

ProspectHeightsResident, did you know that there are some people who actually think that it is OK for absolute strangers to go up to a pregnant woman and touch her body (pat her on the stomach)? Do you think that is OK, too, because the pregnant woman is in public? Sheesh.
My answer doesn't pertain to those creeps. Rather, I'm referring to people asking friends/family/acquiantances/etc. Not complete strangers (still, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem of a stranger asking another stranger if she is pregnant as a way of offering congratulations (I'm thinking of a cashier asking a customer, etc.), but touching is definitely not OK). And, even then, I'd strongly discourage touching.

Yes, clearly, our definitions of rude are different, and that's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships