Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:52 AM

230 posts, read 526,034 times

Advertisements

I'm mainly annoyed when old people try to talk to me. Everyone else, I don't mind chatting with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:56 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
I'm mainly annoyed when old people try to talk to me. Everyone else, I don't mind chatting with.

That's too bad for you, old people can be some of the most interesting people to talk to. Because they have seen many things and changes over the years.

I guess you're also not familiar with the many times an old person has left a cashier or some casual acquaintance a nice chunk of change when they pass. Just because they took the time to talk to them and treat them kindly.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:01 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
You're missing out. They usually have a wealth of wisdom to share & life experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's too bad for you, old people can be some of the most interesting people to talk to. Because they have seen many things and changes over the years.

I guess you're also not familiar with the many times an old person has left a cashier or some casual acquaintance a nice chunk of change when they pass. Just because they took the time to talk to them and treat them kindly.
Agreed. You can learn a lot from your elders.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:18 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I remember one unfortunate day that someone came up and started in chatting AT (not with) me in the drugstore. I was buying Kleenex pocket packs and she was behind me in line. She started in on how she thought people just didn't smile enough, blah, blah, blah and why don't I try smiling a little more? I looked her square in the face and said "I'm on the way to my sister's funeral, that's why". I was. Shut her down pretty fast.

Usually I don't mind, but some days I am in a hurry and really need to just keep moving, so I will say something like "I'm sorry I'm running late", (or need to focus, or some other similar statement) and then excuse myself and go, even if they are still talking.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:22 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:

Exactly and you will be old someday so be kind for goodness sakes.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:05 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
I happily participate in the "Seattle Freeze" by never talking to strangers, having headphones in and my nose in a book at all times (especially crucial for flying) and occasionally when people start talking to me I look at them and say incredulously, "are you talking to me?" I HATE when strangers talk to me. I don't have time for that garbage.
Quote:
And they won't have time for you if you're ever in need. I bet you live in apt and don't say hello, even when people say hello to you first. So difficult to say a two syllable word huh?

Better hope you never get robbed or are in some type of distress. Your neighbors will turn a blind eye if you need any help.

I guess you would hate it if a stranger said "look out there is car out of control coming up behind you" or
there's a guy with a knife", you wouldn't know this as you walk around with your ear buds in.

What a sad way to live.
Yeah.. there's no time for "that garbage".. (smiling, greeting, responding or listening... in other words, being human). Maybe a sign or clothing with wording, informing others to not attempt to interact in any way, would be most helpful for this type.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:28 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think this is incredibly rude and you are missing out on a lot . You know the old saying you can learn a lot just by listening . But then again you cant listen cause you have headphones on .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
I'm not missing out on anything. I have lots of friends and a healthy social life. I just don't happen to like to talk to strangers. I enjoy spending time alone and when I need my "me" time I don't want to engage with others.
Though I enjoy "alone time" when I am alone, I can't understand insisting upon it when out amongst a crowd.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Do you kick puppies, too?

Old 06-13-2015, 02:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Though I enjoy "alone time" when I am alone, I can't understand insisting upon it when out amongst a crowd.
And what does out amongst a crowd mean?, when you are simply going to the store?, or going jogging, or just going somewhere to handle some business?

It seems once again that a lot of people here just refuse to accept the fact that some people just are not as social as they would like them to be so they try to guilt-trip and shame them. For the millionth time, not everyone needs or wants a lot of friends.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:20 PM

22 posts, read 21,383 times
One thing that is a common theme is when I'm at a store, and reaching for the same item or some other incident which requires me to be in close proximity to a man: (I am a reasonably attractive swf with no ulterior motives) and they quickly mention their girlfriend or wives, having no relation at all to the event that is transpiring. I.ve discussed this with my other single female friends and they.ve noticed the same commonality. Guys, listen up. I am not trying to hit on you! I drank too much caffeine and need to chat for a moment! I don.t care about your wife! Has she "whipped" you so severely you aren.t allowed to even exchange pleasantries at whole foods for 10 seconds with an attractive female? This never happened in larger cities, just Minnesota. Any other chatty-type females had this happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships