Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:37 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I had a customer come in once and we were chatting after her transaction. She asked if I enjoyed working and I said I'd far rather stay home than work. Her voice was just dripping with sympathy for poor me when she said, "Oh, you'd rather be a stay-at-home mom." You should have seen her expression when I told her, "Heck, no! I'd like to stay home, but never to be a housewife, and forget the kids. I can find plenty of things to keep me busy besides that. I just don't like working for a living."

Honestly, I didn't even think before saying it, and my coworker was practically rolling on the floor laughing so hard. But it's true. Who wouldn't want to be rich enough to not have to work and do what they wanted or not do what they didn't want?
Priceless! I wish I could have been there!

Twice, when I've resigned to move on to better jobs, employers have asked me why I was leaving. I just looked at them and said, "I just don't want to work here anymore." (In one case, I had other reasons, but it's none of their business!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 PM

605 posts, read 491,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
He never said he was miserable. Here it is cut and pasted

"I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something."

He links being busy with being fulfilled so he doesn't ever feel lonely. Personally I find this too much effort but that's me.
I think Batman was assuming/implying that the lady who made the remark was the miserable one.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 PM

920 posts, read 931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
I think Batman was assuming/implying that the lady who made the remark was the miserable one.
Yes it's entirely possible.

It does seem a somewhat insensitive thing to say, imho

Old 07-05-2015, 08:28 PM

780 posts, read 678,600 times
She's probably just the old school type, that "life" is all about having a family, little kiddies running around the house and what not.

I have a friend my age, thinks I'm not living my life because I chose to not have kids (at least not anytime soon). She didn't know I was in a relationship for a long while and she thought I was wasting my life away being single lol. The thing is, I've traveled and had done a lot and accomplished more things that she has, but she still thinks I'm the one missing out because I'm still not popping babies. She's always on my case about it.

It used to bug me when she'd say it to me...then I got over it and just ignore her when she would make remarks like that.

People say things out of ignorance....so just ignore them

Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 28 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,449 times
Way back when I was just 22 years old, I was at an aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving, and the aunt thought it necessary to ask me if I, a young adult, had a love life---I told her I didn't, and she gave off a vibe like "Ooh, that's weird, just freaky", but I was actually perfectly contented with my life and saw no need to change anything.

The aunt's 4 kids all are or were married, but 3 of them have been divorced at least once, and one is on marriage number 3, after the 2 previous ones ended in divorce.

The aunt could never understand why I wouldn't go to their house any more after that.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
not having a wife makes for a lonely life, but children are optional.
For you I guess it does.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:54 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
A lady said this to me. I was like "what?".

I guess there are people out there that think that's the only thing life has to offer.

I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something.
Being single and 28, I must say that it does get almost depressingly lonely at times, especially holidays and weekends when all my regular friends are out of town and there's literally no one to do anything with. I have to be very careful not to get depressed, especially during summer when the sun beats down during a good portion of the day and I stay inside.

In fact, it was one of these times during 2010 that made me get so paranoid about supernatural things that I totally lost my religion - and it was provoked by this loneliness!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Quote:

I guess there are people out there that think that's the only thing life has to offer.

I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something.
My mom said something similar to me regarding a friend of mine and her husband. (My friend has been in life since I was 13, so my mom knows her pretty well) My friend and her husband just don't want to have kids - and my mom just can't wrap her brain around that and thinks their life isn't complete.

Some people are just more close minded than others, and can't think outside their own lifestyle.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:

the married w/children lifestyle isn't for everybody. Some people think you need a man or woman to make you complete. bs.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
27, single and have no intentions of having children or getting married. It might happen, but I'm not in a hurry to make it so. Lonely isn't a word I'd used to describe myself given I have a large circle of friends. I think people whose only friends are their spouses are sad and lonely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships