Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:52 PM

920 posts, read 934,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman110 View Post
Misery loves company. Live your life the way you want.
He never said he was miserable. Here it is cut and pasted

"I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something."

He links being busy with being fulfilled so he doesn't ever feel lonely. Personally I find this too much effort but that's me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:52 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,223,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
You told us you keep busy then linked it to being happy.

All I meant and said is that if you have someone half way compatible, your better half, you don't need to stay busy. You'll be content anyhow. I also added that this is a generalization, it means most people are like this. Not everyone, but I believe you are happier with someone but haven't found it yet. I could be wrong of course

Yes, it could also be a projection of mine but that doesn't diminish it's truths.
Well at least you acknowledge it as your opinion.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well at least you acknowledge it as your opinion.
It is my opinion, yes. Overall people are social creatures who desire a mate. They fair better being married than being single
Again, I'm not saying there aren't some exceptions to this rule. But studdies back up this data and have for years

Marital and Parenting Status

Married people (43% very happy)
are a good bit happier than
unmarrieds (24%) and this too has
been a consistent finding over
many years and many surveys
. It
holds up for men as well as for
women, and for the old as well as
the young, though the marriage
gap in happiness is not quite as
great among the old. Page 7

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/old...WeHappyYet.pdf

P.S. I just fixed the link ^^ sorry

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 07-05-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 03:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,223,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
It is my opinion, yes. Overall people are social creatures who desire a mate. They fair better being married than being single
Again, I'm not saying there aren't some exceptions to this rule. But studdies back up this data and have for years

Marital and Parenting Status

Married people (43% very happy)
are a good bit happier than
unmarrieds (24%) and this too has
been a consistent finding over
many years and many surveys
. It
holds up for men as well as for
women, and for the old as well as
the young, though the marriage
gap in happiness is not quite as
great among the old. Page 7

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/old...WeHappyYet.pdf

P.S. I just fixed the link ^^ sorry

So what does any of this have to do with the OP? Should a single person be miserable just because statistics tell them that they should be miserable? Are you going to assume that every unattached individual is miserable because statistics say so?

Last edited by Ro2113; 07-05-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 03:10 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
A lady said this to me. I was like "what?".

I guess there are people out there that think that's the only thing life has to offer.

I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something.
What lady? A stranger you were having a chat with? A relative? Neighbor? What did you say to her? Next time someone says that, ask them if they're always that rude to people.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:17 PM

282 posts, read 447,992 times
not having a wife makes for a lonely life, but children are optional.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:23 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,801,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
A lady said this to me. I was like "what?".

I guess there are people out there that think that's the only thing life has to offer.

I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something.
For me it does. I wish that wasn't the case.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 6,368,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The OP is younger. He'll age and realize what others are telling him. The single men I've met over a certain age all seem to have a sort of "lost" quality to them. Men seem hardwired for marriage. In fact, men are the ones who created the institution in the first place.
It is impossible for men (or women) to be hardwired for marriage. Hardwired means something is biologically based. Marriage is a social construct that was created as a legal means for passing down property. Marriage does not exist in nature, it was made up by human beings for the purpose I just stated. Therefore it is impossible for human beings to be hardwired for marriage.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:19 PM

309 posts, read 516,566 times
Typically these types of expressions are much more about affirming their own belief, than against you personally.

Turn the table around and focus on their belief, and genuinely ask how does that work out for them.

They will love to talk about it. Then kindly and firmly state that you are very happy with your own life as well.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So what does any of this have to do with the OP? Should a single person be miserable just because statistics tell them that they should be miserable? Are you going to assume that every unattached individual is miserable because statistics say so?
There have been a few posts since the original one, so you need to follow it along to see what I am responding to instead of tying it directly to the original post.

I know it's work to follow along but it makes more sense to stay in sequence. I can't explain what you need to read yourself.

No one, including myself, stated a single person "should be miserable"

Had you have actually quoted the post you are responding to, it would answer your bizarre questions

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships