Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:53 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

It's her opinion, your appropriate response could have been "It can be" (a lonely life)
Or, "It's not".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:12 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I don't see how that is an appropriate response.

As I've grown older, I've begun to notice a very damaging yet overlooked habit that many people have that should get more attention than it does.

Projection

People project their own feelings and beliefs into others. They believe that whatever makes them happy is going to make everyone happy ignoring the fact that there are people in this world who are different from them and do not want the same things out of life that they themselves want.

Many people make statements like that women did with the best intentions and that's actually the worst part of it! Because the person projecting feels no need to analyze their behavior how it affects the person they are projecting towards.

People who project themselves onto others tell others how they either feel or should feel in any given situation even though you may honestly not feel that way at all for example here being married and having children. You may not feel unfulfilled or unhappy but because that woman might believe that being married and having children is everything to her it should be everything to you.

Now even though most of the time it comes from good intentions it's a very selfish and egotistical thing people do and most of the time it only alienates others.
I think YOU may be projecting onto others what YOU may do.

What that women said, however, IS A STATISTIC. It's a fact. Of the four groups (married men, single women, single men, married women), married men are the happiest group. Single women next. Married women are last.

The OP is younger. He'll age and realize what others are telling him. The single men I've met over a certain age all seem to have a sort of "lost" quality to them. Men seem hardwired for marriage. In fact, men are the ones who created the institution in the first place.

That doesn't mean single men will be overly lonely or unhappy. But statistically, they will be unhappier than married men or single women. Men seem not just to survive, but thrive in marriage, for some reason.

It's just a statistic. Nothing being projected by stating a fact.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

What that women said, however, IS A STATISTIC. It's a fact. Of the four groups (married men, single women, single men, married women), married men are the happiest group. Single women next. Married women are last.

The OP is younger. He'll age and realize what others are telling him. The single men I've met over a certain age all seem to have a sort of "lost" quality to them. Men seem hardwired for marriage. In fact, men are the ones who created the institution in the first place.

That doesn't mean single men will be overly lonely or unhappy. But statistically, they will be unhappier than married men or single women. Men seem not just to survive, but thrive in marriage, for some reason.

And how am I projecting? I've never told anyone they'll be happier single or married. I respect people's life choices and believe that they know what's best for themselves. And I don't know how those stats affect how the OP feels. Should he be unhappy being single just because stats compiled from surveys tell him he should be?

Are you assuming that I said that you were projecting?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:17 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Well it is impossible to accurately measure such an internal feeling such as happiness. I really think you used that survey, by the way you didn't cite to a reputable source, to project your own views on marriage.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
A lady said this to me. I was like "what?".

I guess there are people out there that think that's the only thing life has to offer.

I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something.
Do NOT let others goad, guilt, shame you into living a life that THEY think is "appropriate"...including your own family members!

It took me until age 32 to figure out it is MY LIFE TO LIVE, NOT anyone else's to live!!!

I did NOT find MOH {My Other Half} until I was in my later 30s. That was 15 years ago. We are now in our 50's. And we have no children, either...

I went through some relationships along the way that did't pan out, before I met/fell in love with MOH.

I figured a long time ago that If I didn't have kids by age 40 {when I'd be in my early 60's to see them off to college about retirement time, and I didn't want that!}. Since we had basically just met and done got hitched, we just did not go for children...neither of us really wanted them.

We are happy together as is, sans children.

Go on and live your life as you think is {preferably legally} satisfactory for you!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think its a depends answer. If you find the right life mate it can be but it can also not be if not. Have a friend who was married three times. He said the difference in first two and last are like suddenly being satisfied and happy just living without all the other things. But then there are people who function best it seems alone.The ladies views are much the same strength as others of opposite views here it seems to me.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Quote:
A lady said this to me. I was like "what?".

I guess there are people out there that think that's the only thing life has to offer.

I keep myself very busy and fulfilled and I've never felt lonely. Maybe I'm missing something.
This lady doesn't have the common sense to come out of the rain, such a simple stupid comment.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:33 AM

106 posts, read 87,787 times
Misery loves company. Live your life the way you want.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
I never said she was a random lady. You did. The context of who she is makes no difference.

You couldn't be more wrong. If this was some random stranger who you got into a conversation with at Target vs. a relative, big difference.

The first situation you just shrug it off as ignorance, the second situation you need to address it.

So it makes a big difference.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:48 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is an an example of what I just posted.
You told us you keep busy then linked it to being happy.

All I meant and said is that if you have someone half way compatible, your better half, you don't need to stay busy. You'll be content anyhow. I also added that this is a generalization, it means most people are like this. Not everyone, but I believe you are happier with someone but haven't found it yet. I could be wrong of course

Yes, it could also be a projection of mine but that doesn't diminish it's truths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships