Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 03:54 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:14 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times
probably. Quite a few people seem to think in terms of money as a measure of character.

I am not one of them so, no, I wouldn't abandon my current friends. It's taken too long to establish the friendship.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:25 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

I don't think it is a matter of abandoning friends as much as it is having less in common. The friends have less ability to afford the lifestyle of the more affluent person. It presents an awkward dynamic in the relationship for everyone and I think they just end up spending less time together by default. Liz really no different than people who get married and then spend less time with their single friends. It's not that they think they're too good to hang out with the singles, but they just have different things in common.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:54 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I suspect that the poor friends drive their newly wealthy buddy away with begging and expressing their belief that they are entitled to share.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I've had wealthy friends, and it is awkward because I couldn't afford to do what they wanted to do.

And I also know wealthy people who are always expected to pick up the tab and it irritates them to no end. And I don't blame them. Yes, they can afford it, but it never feels good to be taken for granted or taken advantage of.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:09 PM

920 posts, read 932,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I don't think it is a matter of abandoning friends as much as it is having less in common. The friends have less ability to afford the lifestyle of the more affluent person. It presents an awkward dynamic in the relationship for everyone and I think they just end up spending less time together by default. Liz really no different than people who get married and then spend less time with their single friends. It's not that they think they're too good to hang out with the singles, but they just have different things in common.
Money is not a deal breaker nor important within a relationship unless it wasn't a relationship to begin with. Meaning someone has some serious issues beyond certain friendships when they use money as "something in common"

Old 07-18-2015, 07:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
the people i used to associate with were not little people
little people are cute
the people i used to associate with were dirt bags.
i used to marry people now i would not even date.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:25 PM

367 posts, read 458,324 times
Quote:

Trust me, most of those former friends that were no longer talked too were put off for a reason. More then likely, because those less wealthy friends tried to use the money of their wealthy friend as their life security blanket.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:37 PM

920 posts, read 932,456 times
I think the only change which can happen that can be divisive is if a couple becomes healthy versus a couple who eats junk food.

That is a very difficult thing. We used to eat like most everyone else, but to go on vacation with friends is hard. They want to eat out most places EXCEPT the healthiest whereas we hardly eat out as healthy people usually need to cook their own food. Healthy people want to live outdoors, they are craving activity which involves exercise whereas others just want to sit around or barely walk around. This can make it difficult but still, it wouldn't end a friendship.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:43 PM

318 posts, read 516,442 times
Quote:

All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

.... If so then no way would high society be pursued in any way... but having seen what happened to a friend, back around 1990, who split 2.5 million $ of lottery winnings with his buddy who always went halves on the tickets, he even had "friends" he'd forgotten about show up out of the blue with the saddest, heart-wrenching stories. And no shortage of strangers with the same. And more than a few relatives. After 6 months & shelling out over $100,000, he finally said enough & stayed with his friends who asked nothing from him except to invest & be happy. Am pretty certain I'd do much the same. He never went for high society either & is one of the few who actually had more bucks 3 years later than he started with! His friend he shared the bucks with?: in way-worse shape than he was before hitting it, as happens so often.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships