Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
My God, I did not get that at all from that poster. She is saying that though not "loaded" herself, she recognizes that she is still better off than another, who doubtless appreciates being able to go out with her friend, something they normally may not afford to do. She is not patting herself on the back, just being kind and appreciating her friendships. This is what some do.. unlike having the mindset you expressed.
She said she does it and supports the philosophy of whoever has more pays or they are in the wrong.

That is different from picking up the tab now and then between friends.

This is her post:
If I'm hanging out with a truly wealthy person and they expect me to go halves with me on a big restaurant bill I would think they are nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
In general, I don't associate much with people in my income and wealth class. I grew up without much and spent many years in the lower middle income group but now that my income and wealth have elevated me to a higher end, I'm uncomfortable with people from 'high society.' So I don't think I would drastically change no matter how much wealth I obtained. However, some of the finer things that I can enjoy are out of reach of many people including my best friend and college roommate unless I pay for it.
But would the $10/hr crowd want to take advantage of you if they know you're wealthy?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:52 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
Nah. Like the Maine folks I have always been a "cottager". My interests are homely and I doubt that this would change. I am who I am. I never ever let anyone know my financial status. We drive decade old cars, my personal style in clothing runs to funky casual and I like good underrated hole in the wall local eateries. I'm an earthy gal and money hasn't changed that in the least.

If I ever got a large infusion of wealth (over 5 mil) I would keep it quiet telling no one but my DH. We would make a long term financial plan and a large portion would go to charitable causes that I'm partial to. Not that I have to worry about that. I don't do lotteries or games of chance, it's not my thing.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:42 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
I have never forgotten who my REAL friends are. Last thing I want to do is hang around stuck up, pretentious high society snobs.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
What is high society?

My parents are rich, my husband and I are not. I have many rich friends and many middle class friends.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:53 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
... or jealousy. We have a higher household income than many of our friends or coworkers, and we hear it all time (we are NOT "wealthy" though). Every time we go buy something that they don't have they always say "it must be nice to have all that money", or if we suggest something they'll say "I don't have your kind of money". It gets old.
And how do these friends and coworkers know what your income level is? Is it the three cars, the truck, the boat, the Rolex watch or the $1,000 pairs of shoes?

Old 07-20-2015, 12:14 PM

508 posts, read 663,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Imagine it. The PC thought police have not gotten to all of us yet. There are still a few of us floating around who believe in the Law of Identity. A thing is what it is. A cripple is someone who is crippled. A retard is someone who is retarded. Changing words does not change reality. And I do not subscribe to the principle that "if we don't use ugly words, than we won't have ugliness".

And besides, if we don't have people like me, you won't know how obsequious you've become.
Yeah, and a "n*****" is just an African American fellow.

Signed,

Not a Cripple, but a Human Being

Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
And how do these friends and coworkers know what your income level is? Is it the three cars, the truck, the boat, the Rolex watch or the $1,000 pairs of shoes?
We're not talking income, as much as lifestyle. It also doesn't have to be over the top. It just needs to be more than the other person can afford. For example, "we're headed to Vegas for the weekend. Want to come?"

Old 07-20-2015, 12:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
How hard is it to see the car someone drives up in or the watch or their wrist and do a simple Google search?

Old 07-20-2015, 12:38 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How hard is it to see the car someone drives up in or the watch or their wrist and do a simple Google search?
Cheap credit and a slow judicial system can be used to fool a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships