Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is a depraved and evil view of man. We are not born into slavery to each other, we are NOT our brother's keeper, no one has to give money they earn "back" to anyone. An absolutely terrible way to view the world and the people in it.
Slavery? They're talking about people who are friends. Friends have stayed at my house. I've cooked dinner for friends. I've done favors for friends. They've done the same for me.

I think you have a very strange view of life, things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 AM

59 posts, read 49,804 times
Of course, because I would have once been a "little person" too.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I think you have a very strange view of life, things.
I think it's strange to wander around thinking that anyone who has more than you owes you something.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,681 times
Would be no need to ditch old friends because you now have money. You could have your older friends and continue to do what you did with them and have newer friends and socialize with them. Not real smart to take an uppity attitude because of wealth as you can lose it in a heartbeat and now you are back to square one and not fitting in anywhere. Are you insincere and shallow (doesn't apply to you ) or just the opposite? Have had family members who came into money and blew off even family and they were just common old shoes until then.

Last edited by luv my dayton; 07-21-2015 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Heck no!

I'd only talk to my friends with monocles, canes, and top hats.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:13 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
Depends. The number one thing that pushed me apart from many of my friends once I found a grown up job was the fact that, well, I was working full time. I just didn't have as much in common. And time to catch up with said friends was more limited.

There's a few of the more "unsuccessful" types (as my mother would put it) that I've pushed away. Then again they've devolved into a variety of issues - baby daddy problems, gambling, etc, that I want nothing to do with, because it's just drama or will end up costing me money.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,509 times
I had friends who started out my equal then got rich and they weren't that nice to me, they were snobby when I was struggling to make a living. What is more interesting is that when I later became financially successful (I felt personally successful before getting the money) they liked me even less. Old friends are not always the best friends although I have some that have liked me poor and rich.

When you live in a small town everyone knows where the other person stands in the pecking order and when someone "rises" to success/wealth it is not welcomed. In a big city people advertise their wealth (because otherwise how would you know) with jewelry, cars, watches, clothes, restaurants, first class tickets, etc.

Now I live in Florida and no one knows how much money you have, we're all strangers here. Cars don't count really, they could be leased. Jewelry/watches could be fake. I like people based on their intelligence and good manners and would be comfortable in a mansion or a shack if the person who invited me was interesting and pleasant. Money is not a measure of anything for me.

I personally think having children is much more of a factor in separating friends than money. Family comes first and friends fall by the wayside.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
When you've become filthy rich, you become like Smeagle or Golem. You get very protective of your money or your Precious. Just look at all the ultra rich like Jeff Bezos or Mark Zuckerberg. They're set, they don't need anymore money but they keep piling it on and working on killing their competition. It's the anxiety that if you lose a penny to others you are gonna want to get the penny back.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It's gotten so incredibly stupid that I have seen advocates for the deaf... That's right. I said it. The D-E-A-F. I have seen advocates for this "community" acting threatened at the advances in cochlear implantation that will one day "wipe out" their community. Deafness will one day be cured! And a "community" will "die".
Don't worry. They'll still be able to call a jerk a jerk.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,918 times
I would associate with the same friends and family that I always have. And I'd be very very skeptical of any "new-comers" into my life.

I don't have bad people around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships