Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:35 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
All I can say is when I am with a friend who is a lot poorer than I am, I usually buy the drinks or treat them to lunch. I don't buy them a house. But if I am making $45 K a year and they are struggling by on minimum wage, I am treating. And I'm a woman, it doesn't matter what sex they are. So that's just my philosophy. So my wealth is actually what most of you would call being a "little person" anyway. So I guess I'm just one of the little people helping out my fellow little people.

And to the person who wrote that being a giving person isn't a virtue, yeah, whatever.

We are here on this planet to take care of each other. If you are fortunate enough to have it better than other people, you should be giving back because no one makes it on their own.
Maybe it's just me and my foolish pride, but if I were your friend, I'd be the one to start pulling back. The last thing I want is to be someone's charity case (whether you intended that or not) - and yes, I've been on both sides of the equation. This is all a matter of relativity. It doesn't have to be someone with millions - just a significant disparity in income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,425 times
People do that all the time.....
anyone who drops you as a friend because their financial status changed was never a true friend to begin with. I would say good riddance and thanks for showing me your true color--which is obviously "green" in more ways than one.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:55 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
All I can say is when I am with a friend who is a lot poorer than I am, I usually buy the drinks or treat them to lunch. I don't buy them a house. But if I am making $45 K a year and they are struggling by on minimum wage, I am treating. And I'm a woman, it doesn't matter what sex they are. So that's just my philosophy. So my wealth is actually what most of you would call being a "little person" anyway. So I guess I'm just one of the little people helping out my fellow little people.

And to the person who wrote that being a giving person isn't a virtue, yeah, whatever.

We are here on this planet to take care of each other. If you are fortunate enough to have it better than other people, you should be giving back because no one makes it on their own.
I think there comes a point where you do get taken advantage of - aka there at times starts to be this "expectation"

I am generous to friends and loved ones- but there comes a point where sometimes I do feel taken advantage of and those people I drop pretty quickly.

I am not expecting a lesser well off friend to buy me an amazing birthday gift but rather I would like to feel "acknowledged" by even something small sometimes.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Yep.

And then there's the difference between wealthy and high society. Wealthy is 200K a year. High society is Astors, Rockefellers, and Vanderbilts. And that you just have to be born into. Bill Gates can't buy his way onto their lists.
I live in a low cost of living area, and even here 200K a year is definitely not wealthy.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I simply cannot imagine a real estate professional who is will to refer to people as "retards" and "cripples" while posting under their real name. I guess it takes all kinds.
i was thinking the same thing!
i think for someone with that attitude i would not want his company no matter how much money he had or i had! yikes!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:

You are seriously way too obsessed about income disparity and not many people will really like your calling it out and making it public with your "acts of kindness."

I respect my friends enough to grant that if they are at a restaurant in the first place or buying booze, it is bc they can afford it.
I give away a lot of money, but not by throwing it in people's faces thereby making my self-righteous self feel more important.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:38 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are seriously way too obsessed about income disparity and not many people will really like your calling it out and making it public with your "acts of kindness."

I respect my friends enough to grant that if they are at a restaurant in the first place or buying booze, it is bc they can afford it.
I give away a lot of money, but not by throwing it in people's faces thereby making my self-righteous self feel more important.
My God, I did not get that at all from that poster. She is saying that though not "loaded" herself, she recognizes that she is still better off than another, who doubtless appreciates being able to go out with her friend, something they normally may not afford to do. She is not patting herself on the back, just being kind and appreciating her friendships. This is what some do.. unlike having the mindset you expressed.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I simply cannot imagine a real estate professional who is will to refer to people as "retards" and "cripples" while posting under their real name. I guess it takes all kinds.
Imagine it. The PC thought police have not gotten to all of us yet. There are still a few of us floating around who believe in the Law of Identity. A thing is what it is. A cripple is someone who is crippled. A retard is someone who is retarded. Changing words does not change reality. And I do not subscribe to the principle that "if we don't use ugly words, than we won't have ugliness".

And besides, if we don't have people like me, you won't know how obsequious you've become.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:39 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
I have good friends that I would never let money come between us. They are genuine people and not phoney friends.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM

30,378 posts, read 19,177,636 times
In general, I don't associate much with people in my income and wealth class. I grew up without much and spent many years in the lower middle income group but now that my income and wealth have elevated me to a higher end, I'm uncomfortable with people from 'high society.' So I don't think I would drastically change no matter how much wealth I obtained. However, some of the finer things that I can enjoy are out of reach of many people including my best friend and college roommate unless I pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships