Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:25 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
High society on a couple mil? That's absurd. That's not even enough to buy a single-family brownstone in Brooklyn. They probably get mistaken for the help.
A friend won a million in the lottery and the next day people at work were asking me why he was still working.

Someone who wins two million after taxes and invests it all, and draws down 4% annually will receive about $80,000 annually over 30 years(not adjusted for inflation). That's a comfortable middle class income but it's not what I'd call "wealthy".

If you're talking about five million ($200,000 annual income), then you're getting into wealthy territory in my book. But that's me. Following article is interesting -- the definition of "rich" changes with a person's income:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/17/up...abt=0002&abg=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM

367 posts, read 458,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you're wealthy you should have a sense of largesse and generosity for the less-fortunate.
Most wealthy people are generous.
The people that they aren't generous towards are always going to whine about it or claim the rich just do it for a tax write off.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:09 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
would i stop talking to the little people, hell yes, why do you think they are little. it from what they do, that i want to get away from. The best thing i ever did was get away from my high school dope smoking lazy losers. If i want to be rich, i hang with the rich people, if i want to be a drug dealer i hang on the corner. want see what your future is, look at your friends.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:12 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
It depends on where you live how much money you would need to be considered wealthy. Two million would not put you in high society anywhere. If you invested it well, you might be able to live off of it, but it would be a comfortable living, not a wealthy one.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:23 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
You begin running in different circles and networking when you get to that level of wealth. No longer are you interested in "hanging out" with your buddies who work minimum wage and smoke pot in a section 8 apartment.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:08 PM

477 posts, read 509,643 times
I don't associate with "little people" NOW, I've no fear of them should I win a buncha money.

I have one friend (I am disabled and don't get out much and all my old "friends" dropped me when I got sick). She is also disabled and has been for her entire life. I would buy her a house and put it in trust for her for her lifetime (with a repair fund).

I'm sure my relatives would come out of the woodwork, but it would avail them nought. They might not even know of my newfound wealth as I have had no contact with them for many years and intend to keep it that way.

I don't get around much anymore. I don't think I'd have a lot to worry about - you'd have to HAVE acquaintances before you'd need to worry about whether or not you'd continue associating with them.

For that matter - you'd need to win the money first. Since there's about 0 chance of that (at least for me), this is really pretty much a non-issue.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:21 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In Maine it is almost impossible to tell who the wealthy people are.
I've met the nicest people there. I have rich friends I have poor friends. Money is not the issue. If you're a rich or poor rectum you're banished from my universe. It's as simple as that. My poor friends are just as much fun to be with as my rich friends and sometimes the simple things in life are more fun then hanging out in some stuffy restaurant eating expensive food and drinking expensive wine. Real friends don't use friends that are more well off as a cash machine.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Having money does not make you a better person. Earning money usually does. This stems from the basic premise that your value is in what you do, not the fact that you exist. An an existent, you are basically a bag of water that is defined as life in the biological sense. That fact does not bring you value. It is not until you start taking action that you have value and become a better person. That is why we generally hate on people who are lazy.

Please, no silly observations such as babies, retards, and cripples. No I don't want to kill them or marginalize them. I am talking normal adults here, and most of us can think of lazy relatives and friends and the contempt that usually accrues to them. Laziness is an awful quality in a person and something to be reversed. Earning money accomplishes that, and usually means that you are useful, engaged, and have value.

Please, no dumbnesses such as "I have a friend who works hard and is a total beotch while my cousin is broke and is the sweetest person in the entire township". We are talking universals here, not dopey contradictory anecdotes.
I simply cannot imagine a real estate professional who is will to refer to people as "retards" and "cripples" while posting under their real name. I guess it takes all kinds.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
I would associate with people who were smart and fun and interesting. I know people with a couple of million, though, and they're certainly not "high society."

I suspect there is a problem with former friends, though, because unfortunately a huge money disparity can change the relationship.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:34 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
No, if I became "wealthy" I would not drop poorer friends---how ridiculous.

Indeed, when I have hung out with friends who are not as fortunate as I have been, I am happy to pick up the tab, or buy drinks for them, when I can afford it. If I'm hanging out with a truly wealthy person and they expect me to go halves with me on a big restaurant bill I would think they are nasty. If you're wealthy you should have a sense of largesse and generosity for the less-fortunate.
And this, my friends is why a divide develops between friends of different income levels. Does this "wealthy" person owe you something? They might pick up the bill from time to time, but there should t be any expectation of such. You pay for what you eat. If you can't afford it, don't order it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships