Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:00 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times

Advertisements

I would imagine that it would not change me as a person, only making things more comfortable and then, able to also help others who have a need and give to charity. I am not into "status" and would just present myself the same as usual, although in brighter packaging, by way of a new vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 05:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
No, if I became "wealthy" I would not drop poorer friends---how ridiculous.

Indeed, when I have hung out with friends who are not as fortunate as I have been, I am happy to pick up the tab, or buy drinks for them, when I can afford it. If I'm hanging out with a truly wealthy person and they expect me to go halves with me on a big restaurant bill I would think they are nasty. If you're wealthy you should have a sense of largesse and generosity for the less-fortunate.
What an entitled attitude.
No wonder people who get rich run away.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Of course I would! I hate it when people become wealthy and ditch all their connections.

Money does not make you a better person.
Having money does not make you a better person. Earning money usually does. This stems from the basic premise that your value is in what you do, not the fact that you exist. An an existent, you are basically a bag of water that is defined as life in the biological sense. That fact does not bring you value. It is not until you start taking action that you have value and become a better person. That is why we generally hate on people who are lazy.

Please, no silly observations such as babies, retards, and cripples. No I don't want to kill them or marginalize them. I am talking normal adults here, and most of us can think of lazy relatives and friends and the contempt that usually accrues to them. Laziness is an awful quality in a person and something to be reversed. Earning money accomplishes that, and usually means that you are useful, engaged, and have value.

Please, no dumbnesses such as "I have a friend who works hard and is a total beotch while my cousin is broke and is the sweetest person in the entire township". We are talking universals here, not dopey contradictory anecdotes.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 07-19-2015 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 06:49 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

Do you know people who do this? Would you do it?
If your friends are miscreants, crackpots, knuckleheads, and trouble from the neighborhood it is probably a good idea that you do disassociate with them.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:52 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,506,760 times
Well - it is hard to find good friends and I think most people would try to keep them. Anyway - I know old money would not want to associated with new money anyway.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:03 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What an entitled attitude.
No wonder people who get rich run away.
Correct. Just because you have money does not mean you are a good or bad person for giving it away or failing to give it away. There is no obligation whatsoever, moral or otherwise, to share personal wealth with other people, whether they be rich, poor, or indifferent.

Part of why we are decaying as a society is the corrupt principle that "giving to others" and "living for others" and "selflessness" are virtues. They are not. And never were.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:44 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Quote:
I know a handful of people who have done well for themselves, and whether young or old, are worth at least a couple million. All of those people seemed to stop talking with their former friends when they got wealthy, and instead tried to ingratiate themselves with high society.

How do you tell a wealthy person from one that is just getting by? Ostentatious spending is very easy to do on a Credit Card. Next question: Why should I care?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:58 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Would I change? Probably not. Character is set early on. But circumstances would probably change around me. When my dad passed away, I inherited his "estate", which means the house, car, and a small amount of money. Nothing that anyone would even come close to considering wealthy or even upper middle class. Yet even with that I had "relatives" coming out of the woodwork expecting loans, or even outright gifts.

So no, I wouldn't change, but the people around me would probably change and force me away.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that the poor friends drive their newly wealthy buddy away with begging and expressing their belief that they are entitled to share.
... or jealousy. We have a higher household income than many of our friends or coworkers, and we hear it all time (we are NOT "wealthy" though). Every time we go buy something that they don't have they always say "it must be nice to have all that money", or if we suggest something they'll say "I don't have your kind of money". It gets old.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:25 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:

High society on a couple mil? That's absurd. That's not even enough to buy a single-family brownstone in Brooklyn. They probably get mistaken for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships