Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,190 times

Advertisements

I just recently turned 24 and, as usual, I tried to be under the radar as much as possible. I don't have my date of birth on FB so barely few people wished me happy birthday. I also kept my mobile phone turned off all day so that no one could contact me.

I'm always very adamant of not getting gifts even though my mother always ends up buying me a present. I get mad at her but there's no point.

I've hated my birthday since my earliest memories. My mother always tried to arrange a birthday party when I was in primary school but I would make a tantrum so big she would give up on the idea. One day, when I was 8, she organised a party in secret to surprise me. Let's just say I locked myself in my room and didn't leave until all the kids had gone away.

She learned her lesson because it was the last time she tried it.

I've never had a party since, I hate such personal celebrations. Do any of you also dislike your birthday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
That sounds extreme.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:44 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I don't dislike my b Day, I just have an ambivalence about it.

I just had a B day a few days ago. Didn't really feel like much, as it was in the middle of the work week, so it wasn't like I was doing shooters at the bar or anything. We did end up going out to dinner, but it was an early to bed night.

Mrs. Chow got me a card and tried to make it a nice day for me.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:55 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I tend not to make a big deal out of my birthday, but I don't hate it. Nor do I mind being wished a happy day. People are just trying to be nice.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Your reaction is extreme.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:14 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's abnormal, but it's rare, especially at such a young age. Too bad you didn't bother to explain why.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I did hate my bday for a long time, but I had good cause. My mom used it as a day to teach me people didn't like me (not true). Once I got married, it got tricky. My husband couldn't do anything right, poor guy. I worked through it, mostly, in therapy and now I can tolerate it. I think of it as a day for my husband and kids because they want to make me feel special. If it falls on a school/work day I take the day for myself. Just do something nurturing for myself. Once I went to a pound and played with dogs and puppies. One year I went on a picnic and hike alone. Once I felt like it so I went and bought a new dress (usually I don't feel like seeing people).

But when family is home, I go along with it. I ask for home made cards for gifts, even from my husband. Because those bring me joy. I ask to sleep in. Breakfast in bed, have them make me a cake. I'll ask to go somewhere low key for my birthday outing.

When you are young and single, you can just take it for yourself. (I also don't publish my birthday on social media). But once you have a family, you got to learn how to suck it up.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:45 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Is it normal to absolutely hate your birthday?

NO it is not normal!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:49 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,764 times
I am curious WHY you feel so strongly about birthdays. What is it that bothers you so much about them?

I don't like a lot of attention on myself, so I try not to let too many people know when my birthday is. But, I know it is important to let my family and close friends show their appreciation of me once a year, so graciously accept their well wishes (and gifts, if they have them) and thank them for caring so much. It means a lot to them to do what (they think) makes me feel special, so I allow them that.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
I'm fine with my birthday but want a minimum of fuss. I don't like receiving gifts or cards but a nice dinner out with dh is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships