Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:55 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I have my own place. And before that I haven't been around mother as much mostly been staying with relatives and family members.

Every time I make a good suggestion or good idea, others would agree. Yet if its to mom. She gets and auttitube and criticize my intelligence and start saying stuff like " oh you want to do what you want to do" " how you make decisions?".

And after getting my own place, she fuss and complain about that.

Tell others and brainwashed them that I don't know what I'm doing and know nothing .

This year we both took the cdl test at a local dmv. I passed all parts including the driving part and got a cdl. Mom on the other hand didn't past the first part of the test.

Also, depending on a subject , if I say something that is right and true like for instance there's different types of cdls while she says there's only one. Shell say I nothing about it even though I would say to here to look it up if she does not believ me

And when someone tells her otherwise, shell try to justifyvjustify her guilt .

Plus she got a good husband who has a house. She still fuss about me and other stuff .

Grow a set and just tell her how you feel and if she wont say anything good you are out of her life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 04:45 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Grow a set and just tell her how you feel and if she wont say anything good you are out of her life
Been doing that years ago...... SMH She just justify it along with telling and making others think what she think it's right.

Even her uncle (who not to mention has kids 4 daughters and a grandson) done it. But no success.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
When the day comes that your parents have no idea of what's going on in the world and expect you to solve all their problems for them, you might remember these days fondly. I'm warning you though, they'll still have an opinion about the outcome.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:25 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
I know how you feel!! I think the only way of changing their opinions is to actually show them that you can do these things independently.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:13 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:

Again. What do I have to "prove" if you've already done it for years?
What I'm saying is that you're not there yet. Your feelings are still tied to your mother's behavior.

I wouldn't worry about it though. A lot of people aren't there before thirty. Some people never learn a healthy detachment from their parents.

You''ll know when you are there because you will find the solution to either having her in your life and learning not to be irritated by her behavior (which you can't change) or by letting it continue to bother you and curtailing the relationship.

Point is that you are the one that is going to have to do the growing and changing. You can't make anyone else do that. I think that's a bummer but it's a fact.

Right now you'll just have to be satisfied with the affirmation you are getting from others that your mother is a problem for you. Eventually you'll have to ask yourself "So now where do I go from here?"

Old 09-21-2015, 08:51 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Nah. There's a big difference between worrying about adult children, asking about their health, weekend plans, employment, etc (guilty!) and treating them as though they don't have the sense to run their own lives and make informed decisions.
Not with my mom. I swear she was biting her lip to stop from asking me if I was wearing clean underpants--in case I had to go to the emergency room--when I was 50. I was 50 when she told me that I wasn't washing her dishes correctly. OK. "Would you like to wash them?" No comment.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:34 AM

287 posts, read 327,075 times
Dude- get used to it. I'm 31, my brother is 29, and my mother treats us both like we're ten year-olds. My father is 54, his mother is 78 and she treats him the same way. As my father always advises my brother and I when our mother starts in. "Just grin and bear it, boys! It's only gonna get worse!"

Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
What I'm saying is that you're not there yet. Your feelings are still tied to your mother's behavior.

I wouldn't worry about it though. A lot of people aren't there before thirty. Some people never learn a healthy detachment from their parents.

You''ll know when you are there because you will find the solution to either having her in your life and learning not to be irritated by her behavior (which you can't change) or by letting it continue to bother you and curtailing the relationship.

Point is that you are the one that is going to have to do the growing and changing. You can't make anyone else do that. I think that's a bummer but it's a fact.

Right now you'll just have to be satisfied with the affirmation you are getting from others that your mother is a problem for you. Eventually you'll have to ask yourself "So now where do I go from here?"
First off. Hello. Didn't I said I haventbeen around her majority of my life ? The way I see it she is just jealous.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

First off. Hello. Didn't I said I haventbeen around her majority of my life ? The way I see it she is just jealous.

And for your information I haven't been living with her. And I don't ask for money from her. But then again what is "independence"? There's no body out there in the world that is actually independent. Even parents ask their sons, daughters, nieces andnewphews for money.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,107 times
Quote:

And for your information I haven't been living with her. And I don't ask for money from her. But then again what is "independence"? There's no body out there in the world that is actually independent. Even parents ask their sons, daughters, nieces andnewphews for money.
Umm, what exactly is she jealous of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships