Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,009,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
All these self righteous responses! Yes, a customer service rep should be polite and pleasant but SO MANY customers are not. After taking dozens of angry and abusive calls, your aggressive or rude call may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Chalk it up to them having a bad day and forgive. But instead, you want them to lose their job?????????

Having worked as a customer service rep for years, I can't begin to tell you the disrespectful and abusive way people talk to you. I've been sworn at, screamed at, insulted and experienced incredible rudeness, all while trying to help them. Everyone has their saturation point, and I would hope that anyone calling in would realize that your call is NOT the only one of the day. Your call may be right on the heels of a particularly nasty one. With the way customer service reps are constantly monitored and admonished to take a certain amount of calls per hour, and limit how long they are unavailable between calls , the stress is constant and unbelievable.

There have been instances where I have received less than stellar service. I could have reported them, but considered it could cause them to lose their livelihood. I don't want that on my conscience. Sorry to see so many of these posters couldn't care less, so long as they get their revenge on any slight they received. It's sad.
I'm not buying that. It isn't my responsibility to make up for another customer's rudeness. No matter how many calls the rep has dealt with, each time the phone rings they should start fresh, and assume a pleasant conversation is ahead.

I also have a customer service background, but it was the face-to-face variety, not via phone calls. Some people thrive as problem solvers, and some don't. The latter group should look for a different field of work.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:50 AM

507 posts, read 444,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not buying that. It isn't my responsibility to make up for another customer's rudeness. No matter how many calls the rep has dealt with, each time the phone rings they should start fresh, and assume a pleasant conversation is ahead.

I also have a customer service background, but it was the face-to-face variety, not via phone calls. Some people thrive as problem solvers, and some don't. The latter group should look for a different field of work.
Amen! It's bad enough dealing with someone's baggage in dating. I don't want to deal with it in a vendor/client relationship!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 AM

35,168 posts, read 31,475,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Just because she makes less than you does not make her a less person.
No, but you'd think someone in her position would be willing to cut someone a break, especially since the same thing could easily happen to her.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:00 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,970,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

You will find that once people have the invisibilty of being on the other end of a telephone conversation, they act very differently than if they had a face to face discussion.

If a customer service rep has a history of rudeness, believe me, they will not last long. It's difficult to assume a pleasant conversation is ahead when someone starts screaming into the phone as soon as you answer. The CSR has to take the heat for unpleasant company policy, malfunctions or expectations that were not met, company screw-ups, etc. I love to solve problems and will bend over backward to satisfy customers, but it's not unreasonable to expect the callers to also "start fresh" and assume a pleasant and satisfactory resolution to their problem/concern will happen.

Hint: You stand a better chance of a satisfactory outcome if you are not an angry abusive a**hole when you call.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM

35,168 posts, read 31,475,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
You will find that once people have the invisibilty of being on the other end of a telephone conversation, they act very differently than if they had a face to face discussion.

If a customer service rep has a history of rudeness, believe me, they will not last long. It's difficult to assume a pleasant conversation is ahead when someone starts screaming into the phone as soon as you answer. The CSR has to take the heat for unpleasant company policy, malfunctions or expectations that were not met, company screw-ups, etc. I love to solve problems and will bend over backward to satisfy customers, but it's not unreasonable to expect the callers to also "start fresh" and assume a pleasant and satisfactory resolution to their problem/concern will happen.

Hint: You stand a better chance of a satisfactory outcome if you are not an angry a**hole when you call.
Exactly. Even if I'm on hold for awhile or I have to be transferred, I don't take it out on the rep. Even if someone is rude to me, I try to look past it as they may have just had a very aggressive customer.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,784,226 times
I just turned in my mail carrier for poor service. Hopefully they will retrain him.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:37 PM

42 posts, read 44,788 times
As a current call center employee, it's surprising how rude some customers are considering that we have a great deal of their personal information.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:40 PM

151 posts, read 159,919 times
No, a lot of the time they simply can't help you. That's just how it is. They aren't experts, they get paid $9/hour.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,260,034 times
Once, many years ago, a carpet sales person made an appointment to visit our home to measure for carpet. He never showed. I did call the store owner, and explained what happened. I dealt in customer service myself, and I felt that I'd want to know if someone who worked for me promised one thing and didn't follow through.

I tend to think most problems with customers are due to lack of training. Not always of course, but often enough that I do think twice about complaining.

I someone was deliberately malicious, or careless, or rude, yeah I'd at least consider complaining. That is not a training issue.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM

42 posts, read 44,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosk8er View Post
No, a lot of the time they simply can't help you. That's just how it is. They aren't experts, they get paid $9/hour.
This. A lot of the time they're misinformed, underpaid, and take quite a bit of verbal abuse from customers. They don't hold much rank within the corporation and are expected to be able to move mountains by irrational customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships