Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:53 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,795,149 times

Advertisements

When it comes to large companies and their call centers, I fundamentally think that the companies simply don't care. And they don't have to, because its just as bad as with their competition. Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-21-2015 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: deleted Company name as it is not allowed

Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,789 times
I report them as a favor to the company as it helps them improve their quality of work. Usually the companies leave some margin for error & training for the employees. I start off with what I liked about the person (ex: they were friendly, smiling, trying hard to find info) & then complain about what they lacked. If something is wrong with their system then a good company will fix their ways but if its a frequent complaint regarding that person then they would let them go after a few warnings. I don't have any regrets so far about my complaints.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:04 PM

163 posts, read 138,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Before my current job, I worked in call centers for several years after college. Customer service work is stressful, low paying, and often has poor job security. An irate customer can even get the worker fired. I know this and try to empathize and cut the employee some slack.

I returned a rental modem/router unit to Comcast this weekend and apparently the CSR at the counter disabled my new modem - not the rental. When I got home, I ended up having to activate the modem again like it was new - it probably took me an hour to figure out the problem and fix it. It was a nuisance, but I wasn't going to report the girl for the mistake.

A person I know commented something about poor customer she received (who is coincidentally a low paid retail worker herself) and that she was going to report that person to the business. Unless it was particularly egregious, I don't want to put someone's livelihood potentially on the line about bad service.

What's your thought on this?
I feel exactly the same as you.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:52 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
I report bad customer service and in turn, to be fair, always compliment good customers service. Those in between, well, I guess they learn to try harder.

I think realistically that the supervisors take into account the situation and the general feeling that they have about the employee. If the employee continues to mess up, they'll be gone anyway. It might be better to say something that might get the employee the extra training they need before it is too late for them and there are several complaints one right after the other.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:31 PM

507 posts, read 443,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoIdentity View Post
As a current call center employee, it's surprising how rude some customers are considering that we have a great deal of their personal information.
And if you misappropriate it, you can get into a lot of trouble--after you're fired.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,699,568 times
Never! I would never feel bad for what might happen to the worker. I complain very specifically and very reasonably. If someone was really, egregiously bad, and I was that irate, I'm usually at the point of hoping they'll be fired. But more often, I'll say something like, with an airline, "Ms. Smith doesn't seem to know how to look up flights properly, and doesn't even know the basic terms like what advance-purchase means, so I think maybe you should make sure that your staff has sufficient training." I usually wouldn't complain about an honest understandable mistake, but I would complain about flagrant incompetence.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,314,663 times
I went through a bad customer service experience with a computer I bought. My call went overseas somewhere & after being on the phone for a very long time, the csr insinuated that, as a woman, I obviously couldn't understand his instructions. I hung up, got on the website & went through customer service that way. I told them that as an American woman who'd been in customer service most of my career, I not only resented what their agent said & not only would I never buy another product from their company, but I would make sure every woman I knew would hear of how I was treated.

I received a call from a real supervisor & we worked it out but, will I ever purchase an item from this company? Not in this lifetime.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM

138 posts, read 233,615 times
I report poor service at any level to corporate HQ, including when it's a manager or supervisor who is the rude/incompetent one. IMHO when it comes to business, rudeness is an egregious act. I also take the time to write many compliment letters and send emails for excellent service to the tune of about 10 compliment letters for every 1 complaint. The ones I compliment are really just doing the job they are paid for but compared to the slackers, they look exceptional. I want good workers to know that I appreciate them being polite and friendly and helpful. I also want their bosses to know that an excellent level of service is what I've come to expect and what will keep me as their customer as long as that doesn't change. I'm afraid if I don't let the bosses know that, they will assume I don't care what level of service is received. They may not care anyway, but at least I've done my job.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
You will find that once people have the invisibilty of being on the other end of a telephone conversation, they act very differently than if they had a face to face discussion.

If a customer service rep has a history of rudeness, believe me, they will not last long. It's difficult to assume a pleasant conversation is ahead when someone starts screaming into the phone as soon as you answer. The CSR has to take the heat for unpleasant company policy, malfunctions or expectations that were not met, company screw-ups, etc. I love to solve problems and will bend over backward to satisfy customers, but it's not unreasonable to expect the callers to also "start fresh" and assume a pleasant and satisfactory resolution to their problem/concern will happen.

Hint: You stand a better chance of a satisfactory outcome if you are not an angry abusive a**hole when you call.
I'm not denying this scenario takes place. But, I don't want to bear the brunt of a CSR's bad day. I do my best to be pleasant. If I'm greeted by any less, then I have a legitimate gripe.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times
Moderator cut: in closing

This is a consumer complaint issue and is not allowed. I deleted a lot of Company names from this thread.

From the TOS:

This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships